The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #18,316 of 22,596
What where you using instead of the A90?
My SU-9 going straight into the Chord TToby with xlr. SU-9 handling the volume control.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #18,317 of 22,596
I haven’t looked back too far, but if you haven’t experimented with moving the pads with the seams in different places, positioning the arms toed in, out, or straight, and moving the pads closer or further from your head, do so. All of these different things will totally change the sound one way or another. As dramatic as if it were another headphone.
I've been playing with all kinds of configurations. It is amazing how different it can sound. That's both neat and a PITA. :)

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #18,318 of 22,596
My SU-9 going straight into the Chord TToby with xlr. SU-9 handling the volume control.
to my defense, i was never intending the SU-9 to be a permanent solution, just until i paid off the 1266 and the chord ttoby. Thinking the TToby was a mistake. Now I might have to just go with the xiaudio FS+PM as a starting over point and figure out the DAC later.

Nov 5, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #18,319 of 22,596
to my defense, i was never intending the SU-9 to be a permanent solution, just until i paid off the 1266 and the chord ttoby. Thinking the TToby was a mistake. Now I might have to just go with the xiaudio FS+PM as a starting over point and figure out the DAC later.
I would just stick with the su9 and ttoby for a week or so then go back to what you used to use and see what you think. Switching gear quickly can get confusing, at least that's been my experience with trying a bunch of different things at a time

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #18,320 of 22,596
You keep mentioning the bass quantity (and quality?) of the TC’s.
Bass is nice, however, bass in headphones is a bit artificial as you really don’t feel it, that’s the huge advantage of a speakers system.
Headphones should excel in tonality, transparency and detail retrieval.

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #18,321 of 22,596
Bass is nice, however, bass in headphones is a bit artificial as you really don’t feel it, that’s the huge advantage of a speakers system.
You can definitely feel TC bass. It has the best approximation of sub-woofers in headphones, period. Until you hear it, it’s hard to describe, but once you do, it’s a new paradigm in headphone capability. :L3000:

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #18,322 of 22,596
morgan-freeman-pointing.gif

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #18,323 of 22,596
When will be the highly teased new abyss product launching? Will we be seeing it in 2021?

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #18,324 of 22,596
Do you have a TC? If you did, then you know you can feel it too.

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #18,325 of 22,596
You can definitely feel TC bass. It has the best approximation of sub-woofers in headphones, period. Until you hear it, it’s hard to describe, but once you do, it’s a new paradigm in headphone capability. :L3000:
A new paradigm is exactly right. Took this STAX boy and ruined him. LOL

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #18,326 of 22,596
It depends on music if you are a die hard edm listener then bass is artificial to begin with. I love the bass on heavy acoustic music. I never noticed artificial bass listening to movie soundtracks. I feel more depth is added. I listen to headphones because it's private and when I listen to my 2 channel I get yelled at.

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #18,327 of 22,596
It depends on music if you are a die hard edm listener then bass is artificial to begin with. I love the bass on heavy acoustic music. I never noticed artificial bass listening to movie soundtracks. I feel more depth is added. I listen to headphones because it's private and when I listen to my 2 channel I get yelled at.
I didn’t say that it wouldn’t have more depth or details, as a matter of fact I’m sure it will, as it is easier for a headphone to reproduce these frequencies without any room interaction.
But listen to your beloved track on this thread “Cradle to the Grave” on a good speakers system and your guts will turn upside down.
It’s a totally different experience.
Unless you have a headphone with a 15 inch driver, you won’t experience this.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #18,328 of 22,596
No not saying headphones are better only stating I can't get the enjoyment out of speakers. My wife and kids don't like loud music. My favorite types of speakers are bi polar and folded horn designs. I get told to lower the volume on my headphones that's how bad it is.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #18,329 of 22,596
I didn’t say that it wouldn’t have more depth or details, as a matter of fact I’m sure it will, as it is easier for a headphone to reproduce these frequencies without any room interaction.
But listen to your beloved track on this thread “Cradle to the Grave” on a good speakers system and your guts will turn upside down.
It’s a totally different experience.
Unless you have a headphone with a 15 inch driver, you won’t experience this.
literally no one is arguing otherwise?

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #18,330 of 22,596
OK so I've been running the 1266s off my SU-9 -> A90 combo and I'm not getting any weird midrange wackiness i was getting with the TToby. Just nice and smooth. Was getting pretty nervous there for a bit. Going to get a FS+PM and work from there.

The Topping A90 is ridiculous for the price. I mean sure I'm almost certainly not getting everything out of the 1266 with it, but I'm getting a LOT out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back