The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #18,301 of 22,596
Doubt it since they've all but closed. I don't think they sold DACs or headphone amps besides.

IME these don't need a ton of burn in. I didn't detect any significant change with either the CC or the TC. The mids are the mids. For around 2k I'm sure you could get a decent DAC if you look on the used market. Not so sure about a tube amp. All depends on your budget and tastes obviously.
That's what I'm afraid of. I've just about pulled the trigger on a holoaudio spring 3 level 3, but Im not sure that's really going to do it

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #18,303 of 22,596
That's what I'm afraid of. I've just about pulled the trigger on a holoaudio spring 3 level 3, but Im not sure that's really going to do it

If you're using either the 789 or the A90 in your sig, I would look there first. Those are just exacerbating what you're likely hearing.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #18,305 of 22,596
If you're using either the 789 or the A90 in your sig, I would look there first. Those are just exacerbating what you're likely hearing.
neither. SU-9 directly into the Chord TToby. SU-9 isn't the greatest but would it really be this bad? As a side note, I also tried my Fiio M15, which amazingly could power the 1266. Even tried the M15 with a 4mm to RCA into the TToby in Line-out mode, but I still have major issues with midrange sounding like my ears are cupped (but not all frequencies), no matter what kind of fit or orientation. its not too bad with some songs, but it can really make others completely unlistenable to me.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #18,307 of 22,596
oh no, maybe it's me. Even my trusty Aryas are sounding tinny and shouty. maybe just need to take a week off.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #18,308 of 22,596
Been playing with toe-in and I do like what I'm hearing. I definitely get a more in front sound whereas with a toe out I think the stage felt a bit wider but the singer could sometimes sound more behind or to the sides then in the front. Pads are still roughly at 3 and 9 and with the toe-in maxed I get a bit too much pressure on my temples but with it slightly less then max it's comfortable. Bass is about the same or maybe a bit less depending on the amount of toe-out I used. But, I still get a gap close to my jaw with it toed-in or out so bass is similar

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #18,311 of 22,596
Very nice!
Fire Red Pearl & Black Pearl '07 Springer Classic
Imperial Blue Metallic '19 BMW K1600B
:beerchug:
Nice. I had a ‘95 Springer. I also got a 2012 K1600GT when it first came out. I was on the waiting list. That engine was so smooth and powerful. I had it for a little more than a year and decided I missed the Boxer engine of the RT. Something about it I Ioved.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #18,312 of 22,596
Yes biggest thing of the TC is bass which only dynamics can give you a close taste if it's right type like Fostex TH900. Only other planar within proximity is my Modded T50rp. Crappy thing with the TC is that bass can shift to one side if not placed correctly or just moving out of the equal point. EDM is the easiest music to hear this happen. For me I was lucky on my newest pair that the ear pads are fully circular on the inside making turning the pad so the thicker part is on the bottom this gives the gap of about hair all around better and producing better bass. The other pads I had where more oval inside so turning only caused my ears to get squished as i tuned and made it uncomfortable to use. I thought Abyss changed the pads but Joe said they didn't.

So because of this bass of the TC is so addictive and not attainable on other planar headphones I'm more attracted to dynamics, but feel planar is cooler being it is more unusual driver type if you grew up on cone speakers.

I have the pads currently positioned with the stitch at 2 and 10 position with tiny tow towards the front of my face. Still have to sit without leaning to either side. I can slouch forward or lay straight back in my couch.

I'm curious how much difference we hear between each other being my fit isn't going to work the same for you as my head is round.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #18,313 of 22,596
Sometimes that’s a good idea.
I think it's both, but I put the A90 back in and the Aryas started sounding better, so I put the 1266s on the A90 and yup, sounding better i think, not nearly as shouty. But yeah I'm definitely getting some tinniness in my hearing. better take a break either way. And rethink everything.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #18,314 of 22,596
I think it's both, but I put the A90 back in and the Aryas started sounding better, so I put the 1266s on the A90 and yup, sounding better i think, not nearly as shouty. But yeah I'm definitely getting some tinniness in my hearing. better take a break either way. And rethink everything.
I haven’t looked back too far, but if you haven’t experimented with moving the pads with the seams in different places, positioning the arms toed in, out, or straight, and moving the pads closer or further from your head, do so. All of these different things will totally change the sound one way or another. As dramatic as if it were another headphone.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #18,315 of 22,596
What where you using instead of the A90?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back