The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #18,361 of 22,596
Not to answer for @DJJEZ , but here are my thoughts:

I have the dual 3 pin XLR and had the Formula S and now Wa33, but listened to the 4 pin xlr and if there is a difference - I can’t here it. Also, if you want to connect to an amp without dual 3 pin - you have to use an adapter which (sort of ) defeats the purpose of having the best connection possible. Last, I imagine the 4 pin has higher resale value.

I think the dual 3 pin is a marginally nicer cable because you get two of those beautiful furutech XLRs instead of one - eliminate the possibility of cable crosstalk - but practically, I think the 4 pin cable makes a lot more sense - and you're not giving up anything from a sound quality perspective.
I have a SC cable in dual 3-pin XLR too. This allowed me to listen via the rear XLR on the Hugo TT2 using short plug adapters instead of cable adapters.

Sometimes, I will plug one channel into the TT2 and the OTHER into the Formula S just for kicks.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #18,362 of 22,596
Never seen a pic of one of these before so thought I would show My buddy's Chord TT2 rear XLR super conductor cable made by Abyss
FB_IMG_1636308346947.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #18,363 of 22,596
Sometimes, I will plug one channel into the TT2 and the OTHER into the Formula S just for kicks.
Now that's an A/B test.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #18,364 of 22,596
I just want to put it out there I solved the bass from moving to different sides by making the correct fitment. The problem was too much vibration from the bass. The headphone now sits with the pads having equal gap even though technically the leather touches my skin it's basically a weak seal so if it was a water pipe it would be spraying out. I placed the seam on the front of the pad at first screw on the outside of the cups. also slight bend out nothing huge. So if I look down they will fall off if my ears where not there. Best part it sounds like what has been described.
Do you know what Tupperware and a walrus have in common? They both like a tight Seal. :)

Nov 7, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #18,365 of 22,596
Now that's an A/B test.
Yeah I'll be playing the left channel signal out of both cups. It is an interesting way to A/B the amps. I'm assuming I have equivalent bilateral hearing acuity

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #18,367 of 22,596
Never seen a pic of one of these before so thought I would show My buddy's Chord TT2 rear XLR super conductor cable made by AbyssFB_IMG_1636308346947.jpg
They charge a grand for that.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #18,369 of 22,596
Nice. I had a ‘95 Springer. I also got a 2012 K1600GT when it first came out. I was on the waiting list. That engine was so smooth and powerful. I had it for a little more than a year and decided I missed the Boxer engine of the RT. Something about it I Ioved.
Nice bikes all around. I don't ride right now, but my last ride was a K1200S. Before that, VFR800. Did some trackdays as well, and one time had a ride around the track on the back of a bike while an AMA pro was doing the driving. That was bonkers to say the least!

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #18,370 of 22,596
Hi guys, I had the chance to try out the AB-1266 Phi TC today, along with a load of other high-end headphones. I was there to try out the Ferrum Oor for use with my Susvara, and ended up buying one along with the Hypsos. To cut a long story short, I thought the 1266 sounded incredible - the stage, the bass, the transparency... If the Susvara is an angel, the 1266 is devil. I can't stop thinking about it, simply because out of everything I've tried, it seems to actually do something to set itself meaningfully apart from other headphones. It was the sort of sound signature I'd expect from speakers, not from headphones.

My only issue was that I did not find them comfortable at all, although I put them on as I found them, and didn't adjust them to fit my head in any way. Are these headphones going to be significantly more comfortable after I've adjusted them to fit me? If so, I'm going to have to seriously think about how I can get a pair.
The fit for me is tolerable at best, even after 6 months of trying everything. Guess I just have an odd head because most people here seem very happy.

But even with the weight and fit issues, the TCs sound so amazing for rock and EDM so I haven't sold them. Really awesome sound.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #18,371 of 22,596
I bought the adapter from Singapore to use with my 4 pin mini xlr headphones. The adapters look and feel high quality. It's a bonus to use on more then one headphone.

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #18,372 of 22,596
Formula S is a single ended amp - so the balanced outputs, both the 4 pin XLR and dual 3 pin are there strictly for convenience. That said, theoretically, there is some benefit to separating left and right channels with the dual 3 pin, not because they are balanced (they're not), but you are eliminating any possibility of crosstalk. And, it looks cooler. That said, I can't hear a difference - and I doubt most could.

Would you think that choosing the dual 3 pin option is a good future proofing decision or is it negligible even with fully balanced components?

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #18,373 of 22,596
Would you think that choosing the dual 3 pin option is a good future proofing decision or is it negligible even with fully balanced components?
I had the 3 pin. You are limited to amplifiers. The 3 pins looks better but I don’t hear a difference.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #18,375 of 22,596
See if you can get a custom one from Joe so you keep the 16 gauge wire at the beginning. Like the one the person had for Chord TT2.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back