The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #15,961 of 22,508
However, the measured bass response looks fine, and for the record, I do wear the pads touching my face.
Criticizing for criticizing's sake?
You wear them with the tightest seal possible, against all recommendations?

May 15, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #15,962 of 22,508
You wear them with the tightest seal possible, against all recommendations?
Not the tightest seal, but for sure not with a gap - feels uncomfortable and I'll take it off after 10min. Wearing it close to the face allows me to listen longer, which is not against all recommendations in my books.

May 15, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #15,963 of 22,508
Not the tightest seal, but for sure not with a gap - feels uncomfortable and I'll take it off after 10min. Wearing it close to the face allows me to listen longer, which is not against all recommendations in my books.
Yea that's fine, but that's not how they were measured. He specifically gave it a tight seal. I would maintain that these are one of the hardest headphones to measure accurately.

Also disappointing to not see a single note about how transparent and clear these headphones are. Like leagues above others.

May 15, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #15,964 of 22,508
May 15, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #15,965 of 22,508
May 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #15,966 of 22,508
Not really, I'm sure they both gave them a tight seal, like you would with most normal headphones. Both measurements reflect that. That's not how people listen to the headphones.

I'm not sure you'd be quite happy to see what they'd measure like with a lighter seal given how most planars behave in such situations... (looks to me like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation).
Any which way anything above 300-400hz is less likely to be affected.

May 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #15,967 of 22,508
I'm not sure you'd be quite happy to see what they'd measure like with a lighter seal given how most planars behave in such situations... (looks to me like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation).
Any which way anything above 300-400hz is less likely to be affected.
Agree, hence why I think they're difficult to measure accurately. Accurately meaning the way people typically hear them once they have found the right fit.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #15,968 of 22,508
As discussed, I have come around to the 1266 Phi TC, esp paired with the May DAC.
I would love to hear more on how you regard the 1266s now in relation to the midrange issues. Do you think it is just a matter of adapting to its sound profile or is the May the secret sauce? How does the Susvara sound with the May for instance?

May 15, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #15,969 of 22,508
This site must go away...
But i have quite funn reading post there. It's hilarious sometimes.

The site has a use with its measurements of equipment with precisely defined inputs/outputs like DACs and preamps. Those boxes SHOULD darn well be wires with gains (with the exception of my beloved tubes, lol). But in years of listening to many headphones across the spectrum not once have I found measurements taken on a plastic head to have any correlation with reality. There is no way to take into account how an individual's head shape, ear physiology, and just the preferred orientation of the headphones and cups affect this. That thread is basically just the bleating of the poors who, even if they could afford this, have prejudiced themselves out of any possibility of a fair evaluation because JPS Labs has already been dismissed as a purveyor of -- gasp -- audiophile cables!

May 15, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #15,970 of 22,508
Snacable market and up-selling aside, these morons at ASR continue to take dumpy-ass measurements, there's such minimal credibility all around.

May 15, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #15,971 of 22,508
I would love to hear more on how you regard the 1266s now in relation to the midrange issues. Do you think it is just a matter of adapting to its sound profile or is the May the secret sauce? How does the Susvara sound with the May for instance?
I know you didn't ask me but I never had to adapt to the 1266 TC. It was love at first listen with the correct fit.

May 15, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #15,972 of 22,508
I believe designing and building fine audio equipment is like designing and building musical instruments. It's as much art as it is science - probably more towards art. Sound is so subjective. Intuition is as important as technical knowledge and skills. There are many guitars that are $500 and some that are well over $5,000. There are pianos that are $10,000 and a Steinway Grand that can easily go over $200,000. If they measured these musical instruments through these machines, would one show as being "superior" over the other?

I've browsed through that site and I'll say that there is some useful information in regards to technical performance and things like that from a "scientific" point of view but there is such an ingrained negative bias towards anything that's considered high-end or audiophile that I just don't bother going there anymore. To me, it looks like a grouchy old men's club with people who seem to like looking at graphs more than listening to music. I really couldn't care less about what they have to say. I'll trust my ears over their eyes looking at the graphs. Back to listening with the TC! :L3000:

May 15, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #15,973 of 22,508
Measurements are important for designing a headphone or amp or whatever. But to the listener, not really. I rarely like the best measuring gear. I have a Schiit Magnius and a Woo WA33, the Magnius measures much better, but it doesn’t sound anywhere near as good. Trust Your ears, they’re the only ones that matter.

May 15, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #15,974 of 22,508
I don't know why I'm engaging over there. There's such a bias against anything Abyss and people who have never heard them (and probably never will) think they can judge them based on some squiggly lines.

May 15, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #15,975 of 22,508
I was so amused reading that thread. The first 4 pages were that of judging and commenting by people who have never even listened to the 1266. I was about to post something but thought it would be a futile exercise.. Kudos to @ra990 who was the first to chime in.

*edit
I caved and chimed in..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back