The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #15,946 of 22,596
An item of note from the ASR review.

"To check distortion and clipping, I turned up the volume during some instrumental female vocals. As I did the highs got a bit distorted and suddenly I was greeted with oddest buzzing sound! It literally went from paying music to playing noise. Fortunately that was pretty loud so don't expect it to be everyday problem. With music that was bass heavy, the AB-1266 can produce a ton of them until starts to make a ticking sound with bass peaks. Turn it up even more and they get louder still. Again, this is beyond normal use and onset is mild. Both of these experiences match the distortion measurements where we saw problems at multiple frequencies and not just bass. These drivers are simply not designed to be pushed hard."

Looking at his EQ (picture below" it appears that he hasn't decreased the overall volume level to ensure the two peaks he recommends are below 0db. As a result, I'm not surprised he experienced what he describes above.

Edit for update: ASR thread indicates -4.9db volume reduction to account for EQ settings, although it's neither reflected in the picture below nor on ASR. With a +5.0db boost at 3283hz, I think there still is potential for clipping.

1621097103913.png

I'm trying a less aggressive version (nothing more than +/- 2.5db) of his suggested EQ settings without the cut at 13.3k and my initial thoughts are not bad. It'll take some time to get a fuller appreciation.

My biggest takeaway from the review is "Most wonderful was the spatial effects. You had this really nice halo at and behind your head that seemed to constantly delight in the way it would place instruments. Deep bass was substantial with my modest boost and clean, clean and clean! I listened for hours and didn't want to stop."

Looking forward to the, eventual, Susvara review. I anticipate a golfing panther.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #15,947 of 22,596
I liked the part where "These drivers are simply not designed to be pushed hard."
"Looking forward to the, eventual, Susvara review. I anticipate a golfing panther." Remind me not to golf with you. I would be too nervous looking at the panther.:jecklinsmile:

May 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #15,948 of 22,596
That site is a bit amusing to me because it reminds of my youth. When I was dirt poor along with all my friends and the topic of cars or other hobbies came up. We always rationalized what we would pick and what would be ideal and called out the superfluous waste of money the high end totl cars, motorbikes, bicycles, guns, tennis racquets, etc. Why spend $50k on a Ferrari (in the 80’s) when we can get a Ford Mustang and get the same 0-60. Why spend $500 on a bicycle when I can get a bike for $200 and go just as fast since it’s the rider not the bike...you know what I mean.

but now a days, after listening and owning way too many headphones and not having to worry about what it costs, you get what you like. If I don’t like it or find something better, I sell one and buy the other. It’s the test of time and not a few days of listening that ultimately determines if a component or headphone stays. If the 1266 sucked, or my Utopia or Hifiman I’d get rid of it for half price and buy something else. I’m not married to these things.

there’s a whole secondary industry around music consumption. YouTube influencers, online forums, bloggers, etc. some have come up with their own schtick. For that site, it’s the young guy with limited funds thinking that bang for the buck is the most important criteria and finding flaws, no matter how petty or minuscule just further prove their point. So they love calling it out and acting like they’re above it. It’s natural, most of us have been there. As they mature, and their interests change and they appreciate a holistic aspects to hobbies they might change their tune.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, there’s a lot more to this hobby than a graph, that can be manipulated numerous ways whether intentionally or unintentionally. We shouldn’t sweat it. If Amir makes you question why you bought the 1266 or makes you reconsider, then don’t buy it. Listen to more headphones and compare before you pull the trigger. If you already own, well, you have two choices. Keep it, since you arguably still have a “decent” headphone or take the financial hit and sell for 50% and buy what the herd and Amir consider to be the best HP. Although I have no clue what they consider the perfect headphone because I don’t think it exists.

I think we’re giving that person and that site way too much publicity and legitimacy by even talking about it so much. Amir might be a super sharp guy or he might be like my next door neighbor. A super successful doctor, but after speaking to him in depth you realize the guy is a complete airhead and I wouldn’t let him diagnose or treat me if my life depended on it. Some people no matter how distinguished or knowledgeable they come off have no substance or common sense.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #15,949 of 22,596
I think we’re giving that person and that site way too much publicity and legitimacy by even talking about it so much. Amir might be a super sharp guy or he might be like my next door neighbor. A super successful doctor, but after speaking to him in depth you realize the guy is a complete airhead and I wouldn’t let him diagnose or treat me if my life depended on it. Some people no matter how distinguished or knowledgeable they come off have no substance or common sense.
Yup.

May 15, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #15,950 of 22,596
An item of note from the ASR review.

"To check distortion and clipping, I turned up the volume during some instrumental female vocals. As I did the highs got a bit distorted and suddenly I was greeted with oddest buzzing sound! It literally went from paying music to playing noise. Fortunately that was pretty loud so don't expect it to be everyday problem. With music that was bass heavy, the AB-1266 can produce a ton of them until starts to make a ticking sound with bass peaks. Turn it up even more and they get louder still. Again, this is beyond normal use and onset is mild. Both of these experiences match the distortion measurements where we saw problems at multiple frequencies and not just bass. These drivers are simply not designed to be pushed hard."

Looking at his EQ (picture below" it appears that he hasn't decreased the overall volume level to ensure the two peaks he recommends are below 0db. As a result, I'm not surprised he experienced what he describes above.

1621097103913.png

I'm trying a less aggressive version (nothing more than +/- 2.5db) of his suggested EQ settings without the cut at 13.3k and my initial thoughts are not bad. It'll take some time to get a fuller appreciation.

My biggest takeaway from the review is "Most wonderful was the spatial effects. You had this really nice halo at and behind your head that seemed to constantly delight in the way it would place instruments. Deep bass was substantial with my modest boost and clean, clean and clean! I listened for hours and didn't want to stop."

Looking forward to the, eventual, Susvara review. I anticipate a golfing panther.
Does the eq setting end with Band5?

May 15, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #15,951 of 22,596
Does the eq setting end with Band5?
yes, there are five points on the frequency curve plus the overall setting which SHOULD be at least lower than the highest peak to keep from digital distortion.

May 15, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #15,953 of 22,596
May 15, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #15,955 of 22,596
Thanks. I must say, this EQ setting is pretty good so far (reducing the -11 to -2.5).
Here's where I'm at with the settings, with an overall -3db reduction.

1621104003460.png

May 15, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #15,956 of 22,596
Doesn't Roon also have a "headroom" setting to take care of that ?
It does but we have no idea whether he has it turned on and if so, what headroom adjustment level he has it set at. For my use, I find it better to leave this setting disabled and adjust each overall EQ setting.

May 15, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #15,958 of 22,596
From Amir:
Company -- unusually so -- recommends to try wearing them with some gap between them and your ears. I avoided that and measured the headphone with the tightest fit I could, lest there be riots in the streets due to bass response.
Well nobody wears them like that that so the measurements are useless. I think in general measurements for this headphone would be difficult to get right. Everyone wears them differently and there's a lot of customizing available to tweak sound by adjusting the fit.

Edited the post to make it less snarky. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #15,960 of 22,596
As discussed, I have come around to the 1266 Phi TC, esp paired with the May DAC. In fact, I have ordered mine already.

And then there’s Amir. 🙂

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/abyss-ab-1266-phi-tc-review-headphone.23411/
Huh?????? The TC is as good a HP as exists. One can like a different HP for subjective reasons but this is downright silly..in addition since everyone wears them differently resulting in different sound signatures this particular discussion silly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back