The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #15,991 of 22,596
The first two times I listened to the 1266 Phi TC, I ran them off a Topping D90, RME ADI 2, and then the Metronome DAC as the DAC in the chain. The amps I tried where the iFi Pro iCAN and the GSX Mini.

On those occasions, I also have to disclaimer my test tracks had a lot of vocals-based tracks, some grunge / alternative rock (Seattle Grunge scene stuff, plus a lot of Chris Cornell solos), and some Stabbing Westward tracks (which have a lot of synths, etc). And lastly, I had a lot of jazz vocals.

I was used to the Susvara for these tracks. When A/B-ing with the Susvara, these tracks just sounded more "right" on the Susvara. The Susvara timbre was better, as well as the overall frequency response. These are tracks I have listened to since I was a kid, off CDs, in some cases, Vinyl, so I feel I "know" these tracks.

However, the third time I got the TC in, I listened to some classic rock, electronica, trip hop, and other bass-heavy genres. My track list included Nicholas Jaar, Daft Punk, some Bruce Dickinson, Crystal Method, as well as soundtracks like the Man of Steel soundtrack. This time, my chain was the May DAC to the iFi Pro iCAn and the May DAC to the Accuphase e380.

Also, this time, I spent a lot more time experimenting with the fit and placement of the cups.

End result: I was WOW-ed.
  • The TC sound stage was more open sounding than the Susvara
  • Its sheer physicality was breathtaking.
  • I also felt the midrange sounded more natural and liquid off the May DAC, no question
I have ordered the TC already, so once it comes in, which will take a bit of time, I will surely do longer comparisons of the TC's pairing with other source gear.

The Susvara on the May DAC sounds very "right". Again, the timbre, FR, which are the Susvara's strengths are represented very well. The May DAC is very resolving, as you would expect, and very spacious sounding. Things like reverb, trailing edge of tones, environmental cues, are just more evident. Tonally, I would not say the May is warm-sounding. It's very neutral, but notes have slightly, ever-so-slightly, softer edges, which people call an "analog" presentation.

But, of course, others have experimented with the TC with other gear, e.g., the SC cable, the Woo Amp, PrimaLuna amps, and the AIC Riviera/Egoista, with great results, so that's there. The other R2R DAC recommended with the 1266 Phi TC (the one DMS took to Linus, lol) is the Sagra DAC.

Hope this helps.
Sajid, I agree that the May is a great DAC for the TC and Susvara. I got my May KTE DAC about a month ago and now that it's burned in, my listening sessions have put a big smile on my face. I'm using the Auris Nirvana with Sophia Electric EL34-ST power tubes and a Mullard NOS CV4003 input tube which makes for a great pairing with the TC and Susvara. All my electronics are plugged into a Equi=Tech 2RQ 20a balanced power conditioner.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #15,992 of 22,596
I’ve been debating over possible headphones for some weeks now. They have to match well with my Chord Hugo TT2, preferably via the front H/P Jack. The Susvara was good, but I was at +9 on the volume & assumed I was at close to max volume, Focal Utopia was good, too bright/full on for me though, LCD4 was really, really good actually. Midrange heaven, wide soundstage etc

I almost caved in and got them, but the Abyss 1266 Phi TC keeps gnawing at my brain to buy them !

Deposit paid, now waiting for stock to arrive....... It was a blind purchase as no dealers anywhere near my city to try them out. I hope I’m not disappointed.
I’d highly recommend investing in an adapter to use the TT2’s rear XLRs. I thought it made a big improvement in the sound of my AB1266. The 1266 isn’t that much more sensitive than the Susvara; my volume pot was around -14 from the 1/4” jack.

May 16, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #15,994 of 22,596
May 16, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #15,995 of 22,596
Long week for me. Looking forward to a late afternoon and evening of listening. Really enjoying the Abyss with the Glenn 300B (in picture) Supratek preamp and Lampiaztor DAC (not in picture). It feels like the Abyss was the last piece of the puzzle, but it was worth the wait.

Abyss.jpg

May 16, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #15,996 of 22,596
Long week for me. Looking forward to a late afternoon and evening of listening. Really enjoying the Abyss with the Glenn 300B (in picture) Supratek preamp and Lampiaztor DAC (not in picture). It feels like the Abyss was the last piece of the puzzle, but it was worth the wait.
Very interesting pad placement. Do you have Left on 11 and Right on 1? Mine is reverse, haha.

May 16, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #15,997 of 22,596

Abyss.jpg
That's a very nice setup. All tubes through and through. Do you find the TC lacking in dynamics at all?

May 16, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #15,998 of 22,596
Very interesting pad placement. Do you have Left on 11 and Right on 1? Mine is reverse, haha.
I followed one of the great YouTube videos from above, and those were the pad settings the guy recommended to start with, and I seem to like it. May experiment some more.

May 16, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #15,999 of 22,596
I followed one of the great YouTube videos from above, and those were the pad settings the guy recommended to start with, and I seem to like it. May experiment some more
Yeah I know which ones, the official AB-1266 setup videos from Joe From Abyss. Try out other settings as well, it does improve bass performance

May 16, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #16,000 of 22,596
May 16, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #16,001 of 22,596
Yeah I know which ones, the official AB-1266 setup videos from Joe From Abyss. Try out other settings as well, it does improve bass performance
Yes I did. Definitely improved the bass. I like how I can dial-in or dial-out the bass with these headphones. I think I've found my sweet spot now tho.

May 16, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #16,003 of 22,596
Amir at ASR reviewed the TCs and, while giving it a more favorable review than the shitstorm that was his Diana V2 review, he still did not hear the AB1266 like the vast majority of its owners do. He conditionally recommended it with the below EQ preset. I tried this on my setup and it has to be the worst EQ I’ve ever tried on the TC. Again I’m wondering how he has to be wearing the 1266 for this EQ to correct anything. Maybe this has to do with me having my pads at 9/3. Does anyone who wears the TC with a different pad or head position hear this EQ preset as any improvement, and does anyone have an EQ that they recommend? I’m curious to know what can be done to draw male vocals a little forward, but I’m pretty bad at hearing dips/peaks and crafting an EQ to correct it.

Attachments

• 39CF8BC8-94DD-4540-86BE-FE20B4BE5C4B.jpeg
    39CF8BC8-94DD-4540-86BE-FE20B4BE5C4B.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back