The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #12,257 of 22,494
New addition to the family...

20200929_114059.jpg
20200929_111749.jpg

No time to play yet... But based on reviews... I fully expect to be wowed.

good lord, what is this - that’s what I thoigjt at the beginning. I know started to read up and got really interested. Could you share some more insights- can this thing drive the tc? Is the dac matching higher end products? And how is the 3D effect? Thanks for sharing.

Oct 5, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #12,258 of 22,494
good lord, what is this - that’s what I thoigjt at the beginning. I know started to read up and got really interested. Could you share some more insights- can this thing drive the tc? Is the dac matching higher end products? And how is the 3D effect? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your interest... I am still in the weeds with this device... I'll post an update once I get things ironed out.

Quick answers...
The A16 can drive the TCs... but only on high gain.... (probably not the best option)
I doubt the DAC is at the level of most users in this thread :)
With the included Virtual Listening Rooms... the 3D effect is remarkable... but not personalized. To get the best from the A16... Personal measurements must be done.

Because of the certain design factors... most users say the original HD800 headphones are best.... YMMV

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #12,259 of 22,494
What taxes don’t you pay in EU that US pays? Seems like you get the raw end of a stick. I don’t remember paying any import taxes on headphones from Kennerton.

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #12,260 of 22,494
Thanks for your interest... I am still in the weeds with this device... I'll post an update once I get things ironed out.

Quick answers...
The A16 can drive the TCs... but only on high gain.... (probably not the best option)
I doubt the DAC is at the level of most users in this thread :)
With the included Virtual Listening Rooms... the 3D effect is remarkable... but not personalized. To get the best from the A16... Personal measurements must be done.

Because of the certain design factors... most users say the original HD800 headphones are best.... YMMV

Thank you for the quick heads-up! I am probably here one of the few users here believing that dacs/amps are less important than other components ... in any case, I use headphones (HD800S) for gaming and media, so i am intrigued. Yes, please, keep me posted.

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #12,261 of 22,494
The Hugo TT2 is a great all in one system if powering from the XLR outputs.

IMG_8110.JPG
IMG_8111.JPG

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #12,263 of 22,494
What are the actual (not perceived) benefits to using the balanced outputs on the TT2 that were clearly designed as a preamp out and not headphones (male connectors)? I know balanced is helpful for noise reduction over long cable runs but is there an audible difference compared to the SE output on the TT2?

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #12,264 of 22,494
What are the actual (not perceived) benefits to using the balanced outputs on the TT2 that were clearly designed as a preamp out and not headphones (male connectors)? I know balanced is helpful for noise reduction over long cable runs but is there an audible difference compared to the SE output on the TT2?
Should be quite a lot more power than the regular output

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #12,265 of 22,494
In my experience SE is more than enough, but some folks here feel that the extra power from the XLR produces better results.

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #12,266 of 22,494

The extra power from the XLR outputs provide more depth and physical impact to the sound which I find the SE a bit lacking. For me its only a $70 USD investment compared to buying a dedicated amp.

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #12,269 of 22,494
Good day Guys,

I really want to know if this TC version would be the final model of the Abyss 1266 series... Honestly releasing new updates every year is too fast, this HP is expensive and the previous models depreciate fast..... Ouch my wallet hurts...

Oct 6, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #12,270 of 22,494
Good day Guys,

I really want to know if this TC version would be the final model of the Abyss 1266 series... Honestly releasing new updates every year is too fast, this HP is expensive and the previous models depreciate fast..... Ouch my wallet hurts...

I recently had the opportunity to audition and purchase ether a phi CC or TC from the same seller and choose the TC without hesitation. The TC is an evolution of the CC model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back