The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #9,871 of 22,424
I’m using the d8000 pro with the an upgraded Milo and I don’t think it has much bass. The lcd4 is coming in Thursday and the TT2 dac/amp for review on Monday. I’ll see if things change by then.
I’m returning the lcd 4 because it lacks the bass I look for that’s why I like the D8000. But the 1266 is the best imo.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #9,872 of 22,424
So to clarify, the bass on LCD4 is "lacking" with the listed amps, including GSX Mini (which I also own) compared to Phi TC or even D8000? Wow. I always considered the bass region performance of the LCD line to be the strong suit relatively speaking.

I could surmise the 1266TC may be technically superior to my 4z, fair enough, just interesting to hear someone opine that the bass on LCD4 was insufficient. Different horses for courses...

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #9,873 of 22,424
I’m returning the lcd 4 because it lacks the bass I look for that’s why I like the D8000. But the 1266 is the best imo.
I thought the original D8000 had more bass than the pro version.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #9,874 of 22,424
The bass is good on lcd 4 for audiophile not bass head.
Never tried the regular d8000.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #9,875 of 22,424
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for .5m length RCA cables to connect the Chord Qutest to the Wells Headtrip II. Since this is my first "serious" setup, my knowledge of cables is seriously lacking. I realize that good cables aren't cheap and that maybe the Abyss 1266 TCs will be able to pick up on the differences between them, however I also don't want to be taken for a ride. I made a short list of manufacturers that have received favorable reviews for you to yay or nay, but of course I'd be open to any and all other recommendations:

Chord Company
QED
Atlas
Audioquest
Nordost
Cardas
Oyaide
Zavfino

It would be ideal if I could get in around $250. If there's someone who really knows cables, I also need to find a digital cable that terminates on one end to USB C (for my MacBook) and on the other end to USB B (for the Qutest). In case the copper vs. silver debate steers us off topic, or if you don't want to stick your neck (and cables) on the line by speaking "your" truth, please PM me...many thanks!

I have used the Cable Co in the past too. They are a good company.

In terms of inexpensive cables I’ve used in the past, and that are on your list, I have used Chord and Audioquest cables. The Chord cables are vastly superior to the audioquest ones. Chord also has a ton of different price levels. The only issue is that the cables are really only sold in Europe. The Cable Co sells them, but you have to wait like 2 or 3 weeks to get your cables when they are out of stock (which happened to me twice)

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #9,876 of 22,424
Sitting here at work now I can confirm it is a mistake to setup your brand new Abyss TC for your first listen at 11:45pm. I think I managed to drag myself away from them at about 2am, and even then I did not feel tired and was extremely reluctant to stop listening. Most lifelike drums I have heard from headphones, the soundstage noticeable coming from Utopias, impressed with how at ease they sounded - not congested or strained sounding during complex passages. Wonderful. Another five hours to suffer at work until I can listen again.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #9,877 of 22,424
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for .5m length RCA cables to connect the Chord Qutest to the Wells Headtrip II. Since this is my first "serious" setup, my knowledge of cables is seriously lacking. I realize that good cables aren't cheap and that maybe the Abyss 1266 TCs will be able to pick up on the differences between them, however I also don't want to be taken for a ride. I made a short list of manufacturers that have received favorable reviews for you to yay or nay, but of course I'd be open to any and all other recommendations:

Chord Company
QED
Atlas
Audioquest
Nordost
Cardas
Oyaide
Zavfino

It would be ideal if I could get in around $250. If there's someone who really knows cables, I also need to find a digital cable that terminates on one end to USB C (for my MacBook) and on the other end to USB B (for the Qutest). In case the copper vs. silver debate steers us off topic, or if you don't want to stick your neck (and cables) on the line by speaking "your" truth, please PM me...many thanks!

I highly recommend you add the Iconoclast cables to your audition list: https://www.iconoclastcable.com

Galen (the cable designer) has a design philosophy that is VERY well aligned to what Rob Watts tries to do with his DACs: big big focus on phase and transient timing. For Chord DACs, I think the Iconoclast cables (whether interconnects or speaker cables) are a match made in heaven.

There is the added benefit that they have a free try at home policy. Get the cables, try them out, and see what has the best synergy with your amp (I'm extremely confident the synergy is already there with your Chord Qutest DAC). If your budget will allow, the OCC cables are remarkable (but alas very spendy). They are very stiff, so you'll need some room if you need them to bend between your components.

At the low end, the BAV cables have a great reputation, but I haven't heard them personally. They also have the benefit of being more flexible.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #9,878 of 22,424
Sitting here at work now I can confirm it is a mistake to setup your brand new Abyss TC for your first listen at 11:45pm. I think I managed to drag myself away from them at about 2am, and even then I did not feel tired and was extremely reluctant to stop listening. Most lifelike drums I have heard from headphones, the soundstage noticeable coming from Utopias, impressed with how at ease they sounded - not congested or strained sounding during complex passages. Wonderful. Another five hours to suffer at work until I can listen again.

I 100% agree about the drums.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #9,879 of 22,424
I 100% agree about the drums.

If you are looking for great drum track I would suggest Two for One from the first Vital Tech Tones album. Victor Wooten and Steve Smith it is incredible. The whole is great Scott Henderaon on guitar too. It is available on Tidal.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #9,880 of 22,424
If you are looking for great drum track I would suggest Two for One from the first Vital Tech Tones album. Victor Wooten and Steve Smith it is incredible. The whole is great Scott Henderaon on guitar too. It is available on Tidal.

Will definitely check it out, anyone who plays with Victor Wooten must be awesome.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #9,881 of 22,424

You ain't kidding. Just searched and listening right now.

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #9,882 of 22,424
So to clarify, the bass on LCD4 is "lacking" with the listed amps, including GSX Mini (which I also own) compared to Phi TC or even D8000? Wow. I always considered the bass region performance of the LCD line to be the strong suit relatively speaking.

I could surmise the 1266TC may be technically superior to my 4z, fair enough, just interesting to hear someone opine that the bass on LCD4 was insufficient. Different horses for courses...
I had the opportunity to do a bit of a shootout between 1266 and LCD4, and the area I thought they were both excellent in was the bass. And I am a basshead. I didn't really like much else about the LCD4 over 1266 though.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #9,883 of 22,424
I tried the LCD-4 at release (before they changed the impedance), can't speak for whether I was hearing one of the fabled 'golden' samples or whether was representative of the majority, but I thought the bass was extremely good. Not as good as the Abyss for bass for my tastes, but hanging in similar territory (but only for bass, pretty much everywhere else I prefer the Abyss).

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #9,884 of 22,424
I added a stick on head band to the underside of the stock one and it has given me perfect fit.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #9,885 of 22,424
I had the opportunity to do a bit of a shootout between 1266 and LCD4, and the area I thought they were both excellent in was the bass. And I am a basshead. I didn't really like much else about the LCD4 over 1266 though.
Ive got the lcd 4 and I'm on the opposite side with the lcd 4 having equal bass. I know there is variations with the 4. Maybe my unit needs a lot of break in, but I find the bass on the 1266 not touchable by any of my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back