The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #9,736 of 22,424
Well, it finally happened, just pulled trigger on the Abyss. Been saving a couple months and came up for $4186 USD with a New Years special so I figured it was time. Despite specifically saving for it I still experienced a moment of "What I am doing?!" as I sent the payment, haha.

(interesting side-note where it says "What" above I actually typed the acronym of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, still shows as the acronym in post editor)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #9,738 of 22,424
Congrats. Don't worry, the "what am I doing" will soon be replaced with "I'm glad I did it".

Oh, definitely. There is a reason I have been saving for them! I don't think I shall be making another open-back headphone purchase after this, maybe I will feel like I have to have the Dianna Phi for at work though, but otherwise can't see it happening (apart from wanting the Abyss forever I have learnt to be pretty satisfied with what I have). Closed back solution will be next...

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #9,739 of 22,424
Oh, definitely. There is a reason I have been saving for them! I don't think I shall be making another open-back headphone purchase after this, maybe I will feel like I have to have the Dianna Phi for at work though, but otherwise can't see it happening (apart from wanting the Abyss forever I have learnt to be pretty satisfied with what I have). Closed back solution will be next...

I skipped the closed back and went with the noble Khan instead. I liken them to my Abyss TC iem. With my sp1000 they sound great

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #9,740 of 22,424
Got ask, what is the type of wire used in the super conductor? I do like the wire a lot but would like to know more about it.
JPS Labs proprietary Alumiloy. I don't know what that means specifically though

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #9,741 of 22,424
I skipped the closed back and went with the noble Khan instead. I liken them to my Abyss TC iem. With my sp1000 they sound great

Would love to have the option, but I can't/won't do IEMs!

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #9,743 of 22,424
I thought I read somewhere that Abyss was going to be selling this type of stand... might be wrong.
I heard from Stefan that he was setting something up with Abyss so they could offer it too. Not sure if that has happened yet. At this point production has been very limited, he sells them out as soon as they are made.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #9,746 of 22,424
Presently I am keeping my Abyss TC like this. The headband elasticity is not altered for stand storing. Once I don't listen, keep the supplied cover ON, to protect from dust. (Sorry for my background wall, it's for my Kid's freehand drawing..) ... 20200101_065305.jpg 20200101_064701.jpg 20200101_064713.jpg 20200101_064643.jpg

Attachments

• 20200101_064643.jpg
    20200101_064643.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200101_064701.jpg
    20200101_064701.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200101_064713.jpg
    20200101_064713.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200101_065305.jpg
    20200101_065305.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 31, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #9,747 of 22,424
I used to use the Abyss stand -- hanging the headphones by the frame instead of the headband as being discussed. Get a tube of pipe foam at the hardware store, cut to size and instant cushy and more protected solution than resting metal frame on metal stand.

IMG_20191231_155221.jpg

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #9,748 of 22,424
I thought I recognized them in your last picture... nice rack. :)

Unfortunately I brought the rack back. We found a chip in the finish on it. It is a nice unit I am not sure that it is worth $3,500 MSRP I can have a nicer rack custom made for that price. I am also not convinced of the benefit of the rack with a digital system. I can always add isolation on each piece of equipment and have a nice looking rack.

As an upside when I returned it I used some of the return credit to upgrade the Aries G1 to the Aries G2. I am going to compare it with a friends Innuos Zenith mk3. I can tell you that Auralic wins on build quality hands down. The G2 is also a significant step up from the G1.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #9,749 of 22,424
Unfortunately I brought the rack back. We found a chip in the finish on it. It is a nice unit I am not sure that it is worth $3,500 MSRP I can have a nicer rack custom made for that price. I am also not convinced of the benefit of the rack with a digital system. I can always add isolation on each piece of equipment and have a nice looking rack.

As an upside when I returned it I used some of the return credit to upgrade the Aries G1 to the Aries G2. I am going to compare it with a friends Innuos Zenith mk3. I can tell you that Auralic wins on build quality hands down. The G2 is also a significant step up from the G1.

Do yourself a BIG favor. Don't change servers. Get the Innous Phoenix Reclocker. It is amazing. Makes instruments/music really sound like how they are supposed to sound. I got mine on Saturday. I hooked it up to my son's NUC with LPS and it sounded better than my Antipodes DX without the Phonenix. See if you can demo one. You can use the money from the rack as it's $3150. I say without a doubt you will love it.

Here is some info below:

"The PhoenixUSB Reclocker takes the USB signal from any source and completely regenerates it to an extremely high-precision signal to feed into your DAC, allowing it to perform at its best.

The PhoenixUSB offers in one unit the equivalent of 3 separate components: A USB regenerator, a linear power supply and an external master clock with its own linear power supply.

Innuos applied 3 main design approaches learning from their experience with the Innuos flagship music server, the STATEMENT:

· The USB chip regenerating the signal contains no switching regulators. All 3 independent voltages to the chip originate from an independent linear power supply with further regulation provided by 3 sets of LT3045 regulators.

· The use of a 3ppb OCXO clock running directly at 24MHz and connected via a board track just a couple of inches away from the USB chip. Therefore, no precision is lost within cables and connectors, as is the case when using an external master 10MHz clock with an additional 24MHz clock generator.

· Two independent Statement-level linear power supplies, one dedicated to the OCXO clock and the other used for powering the USB chip/5V USB line."

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #9,750 of 22,424
Do yourself a BIG favor. Don't change servers. Get the Innous Phoenix Reclocker. It is amazing. Makes instruments/music really sound like how they are supposed to sound. I got mine on Saturday. I hooked it up to my son's NUC with LPS and it sounded better than my Antipodes DX without the Phonenix. See if you can demo one. You can use the money from the rack as it's $3150. I say without a doubt you will love it.

Here is some info below:

"The PhoenixUSB Reclocker takes the USB signal from any source and completely regenerates it to an extremely high-precision signal to feed into your DAC, allowing it to perform at its best.

The PhoenixUSB offers in one unit the equivalent of 3 separate components: A USB regenerator, a linear power supply and an external master clock with its own linear power supply.

Innuos applied 3 main design approaches learning from their experience with the Innuos flagship music server, the STATEMENT:

· The USB chip regenerating the signal contains no switching regulators. All 3 independent voltages to the chip originate from an independent linear power supply with further regulation provided by 3 sets of LT3045 regulators.

· The use of a 3ppb OCXO clock running directly at 24MHz and connected via a board track just a couple of inches away from the USB chip. Therefore, no precision is lost within cables and connectors, as is the case when using an external master 10MHz clock with an additional 24MHz clock generator.

· Two independent Statement-level linear power supplies, one dedicated to the OCXO clock and the other used for powering the USB chip/5V USB line."

Interesting. Have you heard the Uptone ISO REGEN, SOtM txUSBultra, or the Mutec usb reclockers? If so, how does Innous compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back