The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #9,558 of 22,424
I guess Joe has seen more than a couple of pairs come back to him damaged because of improper use with a speaker amp. ?

IIRC someone blew a fuse in their speaker amp by disconnecting the Abyss while it was OFF (standby - not off at the wall). So it's maybe not the safest thing to do with very expensive gear that wasn't designed to go together

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #9,560 of 22,424
I guess Joe has seen more than a couple of pairs come back to him damaged because of improper use with a speaker amp. ?

IIRC someone blew a fuse in their speaker amp by disconnecting the Abyss while it was OFF (standby - not off at the wall). So it's maybe not the safest thing to do with very expensive gear that wasn't designed to go together

Normal procedure and you’re ok. Don’t connect or disconnect the headphones with the amp on. Amp on last, and off first.

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #9,563 of 22,424
Anyone here EQ their 1266? What frequencies did you end up tweaking?

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #9,566 of 22,424
Anyone here EQ their 1266? What frequencies did you end up tweaking?

Oh I like this question. I'm no EQ-Master, but I'm always adjusting something.

This is what I've settled on for the TC on my solid state speaker amp with decent (mostly acoustic) recordings:

ss normal.PNG

The dip at the bottom end there is a nod to the fact that the TC can get boomy depending on the recording and regardless of fit. It could in reality be a much deeper dip for me, actually.

The hump in the lower-mids compensates for that area being too recessed for my tastes. I believe this is a combination of the TC itself, plus how my speaker amp responds to the TC as well.

The dip around 2k is something I do almost always because I'm extra-sensitive around there.

For electronic music and rock, I usually need something more clockwise-shaped.

Attachments

• ss warmed.png
    ss warmed.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #9,567 of 22,424
Oh I like this question. I'm no EQ-Master, but I'm always adjusting something.

This is what I've settled on for the TC on my solid state speaker amp with decent (mostly acoustic) recordings:

The dip at the bottom end there is a nod to the fact that the TC can get boomy depending on the recording and regardless of fit. It could in reality be a much deeper dip for me, actually.

The hump in the lower-mids compensates for that area being too recessed for my tastes. I believe this is a combination of the TC itself, plus how my speaker amp responds to the TC as well.

The dip around 2k is something I do almost always because I'm extra-sensitive around there.

For electronic music and rock, I usually need something more clockwise-shaped.

Thanks for that! I tried your settings and that 2k dip really made all the difference! It took away a lot of the brightness up top. The low mid hump helped too, but that 2k dip really takes the cake! Oh man I should have tried this sooner..

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #9,568 of 22,424
I upgraded my cheap ethernet cables to some Supra Cat8 Ethernet cables. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but they actually did make the TCs sound more holographic with a bit of added resolution. Now, I think this is going to force me to pick up the SOtM Cat 7 cables now too. What would they sound like? :thinking:

I guess everybody was right when they said every little thing in your chain will change the sound signature/quality. I like and don't like this reality. :confused:

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #9,569 of 22,424
I upgraded my cheap ethernet cables to some Supra Cat8 Ethernet cables.

I did this a while back and was surprised to hear an audible improvement as well. This was out of my 2 channel stereo, so I can imagine you'd hear more significant changes through the TC. I'd say the difference was on the more subtle side, but audible. Supra is relatively affordable compared to other 'audiophile-priced' ethernet cables. I bought direct from their ebay store. Don't regret the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back