The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #9,526 of 22,390
Most of them don't even have truly balanced construction, so yes, it is pretty much a tick box exercise in many cases. XLR outputs for this very reason could be actually even inferior to a high-quality SE path/outputs, they do look 'professional' dough and might have a real advantage if implemented properly. I would say recording studios tend to benefit from XLR connections, especially if the cables run for hundreds of metres, then any external noise getting to the signal path is much lower compared to the SE connection. In-home conditions it won't matter much if at all.

I’m can’t speak for other people. I can only speak for my own equipment and own personal first hand knowledge. My monoblock amps at $20,000 a pair and are truly balanced from input to output.

You don’t give a good argument by saying that most amplifier companies just tick the box to make it appear balanced. I can’t make a generalization.I’m talking about audiophile equipment, not pretend equipment.

Yes, there are amplifiers made as you described, and offering XLR out might be just a convenience. but not all amps are like that.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #9,527 of 22,390
Kondo Ongaku, one of the best sonically amplifiers (60k$) don't even bother with XLR connections. I didn't give any valid argument because there isn't one, and it applies to both connections. It is purely a matter of the user preference, assuming both connections are done well.

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #9,528 of 22,390
I have a HeadAmp GSX mk2 and it sounds fantastic with my TC. Also it is a balanced design. $3000. I talked to HeadAmp direct and they mentioned the new GSX mini powers the Abyss very well. It has a little warmer sound compared to the mk2. It runs $1800 I believe. Consider a Schiit Yggydrasil, very nice DAC. Also true balanced design.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #9,529 of 22,390
^ That's good info re: the GSX mini, had wondered that from time to time. I also like that it has a warmer signature. I personally feel these headphones sound better with a bit of warmth.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #9,530 of 22,390
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #9,531 of 22,390
I have a HeadAmp GSX mk2 and it sounds fantastic with my TC. Also it is a balanced design. $3000. I talked to HeadAmp direct and they mentioned the new GSX mini powers the Abyss very well. It has a little warmer sound compared to the mk2. It runs $1800 I believe. Consider a Schiit Yggydrasil, very nice DAC. Also true balanced design.

I actually prefer the GS_X mini's warmer signature with the TC...but the detail extraction might be a tad better on the GS-X Mk2. Both are awesome choices IMO.

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #9,534 of 22,390
Thanks everyone for your replies. The culture on head-fi never ceases to impress me.

@ken6217 -- While I agree with you about buying used for all of the reasons you've mentioned, I simply am not able to stomach the risk with this purchase. As @Litlgi74 mentioned, "...be careful of Hifishark...Lots of scams." You're also notvthe first person to advise against the Qutest. There's a review on Youtube by John Darko () that spoke about this DAC with an amazing amount of enthusiasm, which is why it landed on my shortlist. I've listened to the Qutest with lesser headphones and kind of liked it -- and I actually met Rob Watts, who's a very nice guy -- but was also told that it sounds "thin" through the 1266 TC.

@Litlgi74 -- Thank you for welcoming me to the club! I feel honored to be in such good company and grateful that I was able to save so much money for such expensive cans. The factor that helped finalize this decision was that no part of the headphone actually touched my ears. I felt no hot spots on my ears and while the only other headphone that came close in comfort was the HD800, but it just does not sound nowhere near as good. I agree with your pennies on the dollar remark, but these would be pennies I will not be able to recover if a month down the road I paid for a lemon.

@CreditingKarma -- I spent a few hours last night reading every review I could find on the Chord TT2. I hadn't considered it before because it wasn't two separate units. I'm still attached to the opinion, although now less so, that a good amps should have a longer shelf life than even the most expensive DAC, and not having two standalone units might put me at a disadvantage of not being able to upgrade one while keeping the other. On the other hand, aside from the weird ergonomics, I read that the TT2 was even preferred over the Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC Series 2.

@ken6217 -- I've never had to articulate the kind of sound I like and I'll try my best to do so without sounding too much like an idiot. The headphones I use now are the Grado SR-325e and I like them with the Luxman DA-250, particularly because they do well with rock and jazz and I guess I like the Grado "house sound." However, my Grados don't really need an amp or high res music because while they're a forgiving headphone, they not terribly resolving and the soundstage is narrow. Not until I heard the SR-009s did I believe that there could be something much better than my Grados (according to my taste). I fell in love with the amount of detail I could hear, however I did not perceive it had a particularly full sound or as emotional as dynamic headphones. In short, I am hoping to extract what I liked about the Stax with the 1266, but with a warmer and more bass forward sound.

@JLoud and @MacedonianHero -- I knew that Headamp was making very expensive amps for electrostatic headphones, but I didn't know they made equipment that could drive planars. Price wise, the HeadAmp GS-X mini is in reach and I plan to call Justin tomorrow.

The other two considerations on my list now are also the SPL Phonitor XE and the Benchmark HPA4. Does anyone have experience with either? Finally, I have been told that the Pass Labs HPA-1 does not have enough power to properly drive the 1266 headphones -- can anyone confirm or deny this?

Many, many thanks!!!!

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #9,535 of 22,390
I agree with your pennies on the dollar remark, but these would be pennies I will not be able to recover if a month down the road I paid for a lemon.
I understand it may seem scary... But you should at least look for deals on demo gear from dealers. I bought my Lumin from a dealer at a significant savings... And it came with the full factory warranty. Also... Quite a few brands including Abyss allow for warranty transfer to a second owner. Simaudio products, like my 600i, come with a ten year warranty! Even if something does go wrong... Many manufacturers stand by their products. For me... the only way I could really "afford" summit-fi gear was to purchase it as a demo or second hand. The real savings was worth the very small risk of purchasing an unrepairable lemon.

PS... Don't forget to register your Abyss headphones to get the free extended warranty.

Congrats on your new headphones!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #9,536 of 22,390
Thanks everyone for your replies. The culture on head-fi never ceases to impress me.

@ken6217 -- While I agree with you about buying used for all of the reasons you've mentioned, I simply am not able to stomach the risk with this purchase. As @Litlgi74 mentioned, "...be careful of Hifishark...Lots of scams." You're also notvthe first person to advise against the Qutest. There's a review on Youtube by John Darko () that spoke about this DAC with an amazing amount of enthusiasm, which is why it landed on my shortlist. I've listened to the Qutest with lesser headphones and kind of liked it -- and I actually met Rob Watts, who's a very nice guy -- but was also told that it sounds "thin" through the 1266 TC.

@Litlgi74 -- Thank you for welcoming me to the club! I feel honored to be in such good company and grateful that I was able to save so much money for such expensive cans. The factor that helped finalize this decision was that no part of the headphone actually touched my ears. I felt no hot spots on my ears and while the only other headphone that came close in comfort was the HD800, but it just does not sound nowhere near as good. I agree with your pennies on the dollar remark, but these would be pennies I will not be able to recover if a month down the road I paid for a lemon.

@CreditingKarma -- I spent a few hours last night reading every review I could find on the Chord TT2. I hadn't considered it before because it wasn't two separate units. I'm still attached to the opinion, although now less so, that a good amps should have a longer shelf life than even the most expensive DAC, and not having two standalone units might put me at a disadvantage of not being able to upgrade one while keeping the other. On the other hand, aside from the weird ergonomics, I read that the TT2 was even preferred over the Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC Series 2.

@ken6217 -- I've never had to articulate the kind of sound I like and I'll try my best to do so without sounding too much like an idiot. The headphones I use now are the Grado SR-325e and I like them with the Luxman DA-250, particularly because they do well with rock and jazz and I guess I like the Grado "house sound." However, my Grados don't really need an amp or high res music because while they're a forgiving headphone, they not terribly resolving and the soundstage is narrow. Not until I heard the SR-009s did I believe that there could be something much better than my Grados (according to my taste). I fell in love with the amount of detail I could hear, however I did not perceive it had a particularly full sound or as emotional as dynamic headphones. In short, I am hoping to extract what I liked about the Stax with the 1266, but with a warmer and more bass forward sound.

@JLoud and @MacedonianHero -- I knew that Headamp was making very expensive amps for electrostatic headphones, but I didn't know they made equipment that could drive planars. Price wise, the HeadAmp GS-X mini is in reach and I plan to call Justin tomorrow.

The other two considerations on my list now are also the SPL Phonitor XE and the Benchmark HPA4. Does anyone have experience with either? Finally, I have been told that the Pass Labs HPA-1 does not have enough power to properly drive the 1266 headphones -- can anyone confirm or deny this?

Many, many thanks!!!!

I still think that not buying used is being overly paranoid. Maybe I’m just lucky, or maybe I knock on wood, but I’ve never had anything other than a great experience with anything I’ve ever bought used,and I bought a lot of things used.

Buy off of Audiogon or USA Audiomart, or this site, and take a look at the reviews for the person you are purchasing from, and this would make you feel more comfortable with your purchase. Also purchase with PayPal or American Express and then you have recourse if there’s a problem.

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #9,537 of 22,390
I have bought a mixture of new and used gear. Always a little trepidation with a used purchase. But as has been mentioned elsewhere many manufacturers honor their warranty. If I can get a good deal on B-stock from a dealer or manufacturer that is my preferred option. But some items never go on B-stock.(Abyss) I bought my Abyss used and my LCD-4 as B-stock. Both transactions where flawless. Just to your research and you should be good.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #9,538 of 22,390
One other path is to develop a good relationship with a dealer who you can rely on to give you a predictable markdown off of list price and who has access to a broad array of the latest-and-greatest.

So for instance, hypothetically speaking, if the list price off of random amp X is $3000 and you know you can get it used for $2000 (if and when you can find it, that is), but you know you can rely on your guy to sell it to you new for say $2500 whenever you're interested in doing that, then buying new can feel like a more palatable proposition than otherwise.

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #9,539 of 22,390
This is evolving into a sub thread.

You can also do like I just did for the Simaudio amp that I purchased. I know a dealer who carries them, and I asked him if he was willing to sell a demo unit. So your getting an amp that you know is in good condition, fully warrantied, and broken in.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #9,540 of 22,390
One other path is to develop a good relationship with a dealer who you can rely on to give you a predictable markdown off of list price and who has access to a broad array of the latest-and-greatest.

So for instance, hypothetically speaking, if the list price off of random amp X is $3000 and you know you can get it used for $2000 (if and when you can find it, that is), but you know you can rely on your guy to sell it to you new for say $2500 whenever you're interested in doing that, then buying new can feel like a more palatable proposition than otherwise.

I couldn't agree more. I have done exactly this a big plus is that you will be able to audition items too. If you develop a good relationship you can usually bring items home to try them in your system in your own room. This is really helpful with two channel systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back