The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #8,956 of 22,449
A Moon 600i (v1, 2nd hand) has arrived at my place … now I have two weeks to decide whether to keep it or not :)

First impression: a beautiful machine. More to come over the next weekend.

There she is!!! I'd be surprised if you don't keep her beyond the two week trial... Have fun!

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #8,957 of 22,449
Nice one @simorag. Have you tried the SR1a yet, or considered?

Thanks!

I have tried the SR1a recently, and reported back on head-fi my impressions (see here and here).

I am very much in love of the Abyss subwoofer-like bass experience, and I missed that painfully with the SR1a … however, the RAAL has some very special qualities the AB-1266 can't touch, so they could complement well each other.
The 600i should have sufficient power to make the SR1a at ease, and possibly I will give them another chance in the future.

I am seeing the combo AB-1266 / SR1a / 600i quite a bit on the neutral / analytical side, so perhaps a warmer, more easygoing headphone - directly driven by the DAVE - could be an even more compelling complement.

We'll see!

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #8,958 of 22,449
Has anyone found a headphone case that fits these? Im guessing most just keep in on their stands but i need to carry them around (not in a leather bag, wooden box, or brief cases with foam)
Photo bags work well. They have padding, and many are about the right size.

Sep 24, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #8,959 of 22,449
I was also wondering if there is a cover for the Abyss that somebody has made? I use a glass bell jar for my LCD4s but the Abyss is wider so won't fit. Ideas?

Sep 24, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #8,960 of 22,449
I was thinking of having 2 x black velvet gloves made, that slide over the earpieces, but let the cable stay intact. Must talk to the wife....

Sep 24, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #8,961 of 22,449
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40x20mm-Al...771979?hash=item340f867f0b:g:hfQAAOSwyQtVy1Fo

A Moon 600i (v1, 2nd hand) has arrived at my place … now I have two weeks to decide whether to keep it or not :)

Looks nice. Mine is satin aluminium finish. Where are the feet? I would recommend putting 4 x aluminium feet with rubber O rings to replace the supplied feet. No slip, and some suspension as well.

I used these. You need to drill out the hole to fit an M8 bolt, but otherwise perfect fit.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #8,962 of 22,449

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40x20mm-Al...771979?hash=item340f867f0b:g:hfQAAOSwyQtVy1Fo

Looks nice. Mine is satin aluminium finish. Where are the feet? I would recommend putting 4 x aluminium feet with rubber O rings to replace the supplied feet. No slip, and some suspension as well.

I used these. You need to drill out the hole to fit an M8 bolt, but otherwise perfect fit.

I have the spikes, but they are VERY sharply pointed, and I did not want to damage my bamboo rack shelf. I am thinking to get some metallic disks to put between the spikes and the rack.

Sep 24, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #8,963 of 22,449

Very Cool. The 600i is still near the top of my "want to hear" list for the Abyss.

Sep 25, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #8,964 of 22,449

Actually the stock Just Mobile stand will cause the cables to jam into the desktop, it's too short. Our stand is based on this except we machine an extended portion to raise height, change out hardware, etc, etc, so the ABYSS stand is a modified version. We don't sell this stand separately because there are lower cost alternatives as many have shown.

We will bring in the new German made Rooms Design stand as soon as they can make more than a few, this stand lets you place the headphone on it's frame properly.

Hello Joe.
This stand from germany looks fantastic for the Abyss. I can't find the brand website. Can you help? Cheers

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #8,965 of 22,449
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #8,967 of 22,449
WUEa6Rp.jpg

Hey Guys,

I purchased a pair of Abyss Phi TC’s recently and they arrived today. This is my fourth pair of Abyss headphones. The original AB-1266, the AB-1266 Phi, The Diana Phi, and now the AB-1266 Phi TC’s. I really do love the Abyss “house sound.” I’m still fiddling with the fit, which is a bit different the I am used to due to the new (to me, CC/TC) ear pads. They fit a bit tighter than with the old ear pads as they are wider. Sonically so far? I am very impressed. I’ll get some hours in and report back with a full review in a few weeks!

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #8,968 of 22,449
WUEa6Rp.jpg

Hey Guys,

I purchased a pair of Abyss Phi TC’s recently and they arrived today. This is my fourth pair of Abyss headphones. The original AB-1266, the AB-1266 Phi, The Diana Phi, and now the AB-1266 Phi TC’s. I really do love the Abyss “house sound.” I’m still fiddling with the fit, which is a bit different the I am used to due to the new (to me, CC/TC) ear pads. They fit a bit tighter than with the old ear pads as they are wider. Sonically so far? I am very impressed. I’ll get some hours in and report back with a full review in a few weeks!
Congrats getting the TC! Every once in a while I think of how much you sold your Phi for and mentally punch myself for not grabbing them.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #8,969 of 22,449
Congrats getting the TC! Every once in a while I think of how much you sold your Phi for and want to punch myself for not grabbing them.

Man that seems like forever ago. I have missed having a pair of AB-1266's so much! Any kind. I'm really fortunate to be able to own the TC's now. Thoroughly enjoying listening to them currently : ) :) :jecklinsmile:

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #8,970 of 22,449
img_0463.jpeg
WUEa6Rp.jpg

Hey Guys,

That headphone stand looks so familiar. Please compare the TC to the other phone on that same stand a couple of weeks ago. You know what I mean, right? :)

Congrats on the new TC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back