1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by scolaiw, Jun 5, 2013.
First

Back
586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595
597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606
Next

Last
  1. Joe Skubinski
    @Litlgi74 Suggest trying to lower the output of the DAC into the amp. It's easy to overload the amp input stage (not related to output power) if you're running the DAC full out, all depends on the DAC, and amp. Also note the electronics you're running are ok, but with the 1266 this system will get a bit hard sounding when you push it, have a multiplicative effect with that amp/ DAC combo as the volume/gain increases. In other words, you could use smoother sounding gear, or tubes. ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png

On fit, that's a big gap you have. My guess is you've chosen this fit to add more of a bass bump to compensate for the system hardness. At that distance from the ear pads it also means you will turn the volume up higher, a bit of a viscous circle.

On the WA-33, it's one of our favorite headphone amps, so much so we worked with Woo to develop a JPS Labs Edition wired with JPS Labs conductors internally and with KR Audio 2A3HP and 274BHP tubes (which we worked with KR to develop for headphone amps). We have this amp in black, driven with the XIAUDIO SagraDAC, maxed out with JPS Labs Aluminata cables. Sounds fantastic, plenty of bass slam when called for, and the reserve power to back it.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
  2. Litlgi74
    Probably... I'm going to play around with the fit tonight.
    Probably... I'll just have to deal with it until the Moon 600i gets here! :)
    Nope... nothing added in either Roon or the DAC.

3. tholt
    @Litlgi74 agreed with Joe -- that is a large gap you have between pad and head. Do you have the headband rotated in the middle so that it's toed out? I'd definitely experiment with adjusting pads and headband so that you close the gap to see what happens. I once had adjusted the pads to have a large gap at the bottom of my ear, which adds more bass. On bass-heavy tracks it could distort and chuff. When I adjusted the pads to close the gap somewhat, it mitigated the issue.

Since distortion is coming from both L/R presumably, and you've tried with different gear, I'm guessing it may be pad/headband adjustment or output of DAC as Joe suggested.

I also ran the Cayin iha-6 for a time (balanced in and out). Never experienced any distortion that I could attribute to the amp.

4. Litlgi74
    Thanks for your response Joe... It's nice to have the inventer of the product chime in to help solve your problems.

I have tried multiple levels of output on the DAC... they all seem to lead to the same problem... and only at higher volumes.

As far as the amp... It will be replaced with the Moon 600i very shortly.

Is there a way to know when you are at or approaching max output of the 1266s? Measurement? Smoke? lol.

I have the pads at that distance to add more quantity of bass similar to that of my TH900s. I may just have to add a subwoofer to my headphone rig!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. Litlgi74
    Thanks for the suggestions... I am going to play with the fit again tonight... maybe I am just expecting/hoping/adjusting for a TH900 level that is unattainable wit the 1266s

I do hear the chuff you are speaking about... especially if I take the headphones off while the music is playing. It is most audible from outside of the driver... opposite of the ear cups.

Why does it make that chuffing sound @Joe Skubinski ?

6. FLTWS
    Interesting, I think I've experienced a chuffing-like sound sometimes associated with ported loudspeakers when over driven. Could your large gaps in the ear pads with the way you have them set be acting like a port? Have you tried setting the pads up so they provide equal pressure all the way around the contact area between the pad and your head to hear what happens to the sound?

7. Litlgi74
    I'd say the gap is most definitely acting like a port.

The bass goes bye-bye.

8. Joe Skubinski
    The larger the gap to your head the less the drivers are damped, to a point where they move too freely, basically out of control and distorted sounding with very low freq bass. They require the proximity to the side of your head to dampen them at higher volume with relatively larger bass excursions of the driver (think about the acoustic wave coming off the driver bouncing off your head pressurizing the driver, acts like a resistance or bounce to motion). Amplifiers with very low output Z also help with driver damping as the amp better controls instantaneous driver motion.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
  9. buke9
    You are not going to get the fit the way you want. They just fit how they do. They are meant to just touch your ears and not make a seal. They are very different than most headphones as they don’t need a seal and once you realize that then you can listen to them . Pads do have a purpose but it is not for a seal . They are not the TH900’s and will not preform the same they are the Abyss.

10. astrostar59
    I find a soft fit all round, with a slight gap below my ears works best. i.e. enough of a port to allow good sub bass but not let it get out of control. I find if I increase the gap further, it drowns out the mids and treble anyway, and of course leads to some distortion on louder bass heavy music.

It is an interesting idea to free up the drivers on the Abyss design, to get out of the tiny soundstage effect of closed cups as on most headphone designs. It then requires some fiddling to your head / fit to get the required semi seal / port effect. Once you get it right, the Abyss leave other HPs behind IMO. In other words, well worth the hassle / patience to get it right for your head shape.

FLTWS likes this.
  11. fire2368
    The rubber connecting my headband to the headphone has fully stretched out, anyone know where I could get replacements without having to buy a new headband? It's just bits of rubber really. I should've probably asked Joe when I ordered some ear pads off the site.

12. astrostar59
    Think it is a replacement from Joe. I can't see how you can replace them without unstitching the band? I think he also does different lengths?

13. FLTWS
    You could try cutting the o- rings and tie them tighter as a short term solution (although don't put the knots where they would end up in the securing points notch. Or, buy the right sized o-ring and fabricate new ones yourself. Somewhere back in this thread I remember at least one poster who fabricated his own o-ring replacements and posted some pictures. You could also tie off the o-ring(s) themselves to shorten the length. A wrap of some sort would have the same effect.

14. MacedonianHero Contributor
  15. astrostar59
    Nice review my friend. And I agree with all of it, can't ay that very often LOL.

cave-lake_2315904k.jpg
    Out of my Moon 600i, oh my - the soundstage, it is immense.... Abyss like in fact. And along with sub like bass notes, you can hear the tiny treble details drifting around the space, like raindrops is a huge cavern.

Litlgi74 likes this.
First

Back
586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595
597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606
Next

Last