The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #7,951 of 22,434
So please keep this discussion going and hopefully we can get a list of top amps with Abyss 1266.
I liked the Abyss mostly with this amp..

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #7,952 of 22,434
You need to factor in labor costs. As far as their manufacturing is based on the U.S, labor costs are a sizeable chunk of costs of doing business. I paid 18k USD last year for my health insurance premium alone. I don't know how much Abyss pays for its employees, but that tells a lot.
And those costs limit the scope of their strategic decisions. Also, that is the reason why many companies move their factories abroad. If you support U.S. workers, that is the part you need to accept. Otherwise, you don't. It's up to you.

In France, the minimum net income for workers is $1362 per month (before charges on salary, it is $1 725), including health cares (well, now part of them except for major diseases where it's 100%). Did that limit the scope of FOCAL ?

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #7,953 of 22,434
BTW, I'd like to test those Abyss 1266 Phi CC but my head isn't big enough. I went to YT but all I found was an "how to" when once has a too big head. Could anyone help me ? Please not that I can wear tens of other headphones I've used or tried during my life. Is there a way to make is a little less uncomfortable than an AKG K340 ?

Thanx for your kind help.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #7,954 of 22,434
@PIANISTE88 sent a PM asking for the serial number of your AB-1266 Phi CC. From your posts I cant tell exactly what you have.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Mar 24, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #7,955 of 22,434
Actually if you take into account the fact that there is no upgrade path to the TC, it would technically mean that the CC is indeed the last evolution.
I believe it was mentioned a few times that it is a completely new product, the only thing I could see some people having a little challenge with is the fact that the product name was not completely changed.
That is also a business decision, It’s very similar to how BMW does things for instance. The 3 series has been around for a long time with all sort of model number changes but a car enthusiast would certainly not got mixing up different 3 series generations, engines, transmissions etc...

30 years from now, if Abyss is still making headphones and calling them 1266 PHI C F90 (pun intended for bmw fans), it would add to the lineage of the product and help make it a proper luxury item with a proper history standing behind it . Buyers then would love to have a product with such history.
Abyss could have had many more reasons to keep the 1266 moniker, but one should really not hit them so hard because of a desagreeement with the product naming.

In my opinion, Abyss added just enriched the history of the 1266 by keeping the name. If you keep your cans long enough, it’ll start to make sense...

Again, I don’t have a 1266 and not planning to buy one just yet because I find the cost a little high, just a bystander that likes to read impressions of various cans and I can’t wait for the next ones in this thread.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #7,956 of 22,434
BTW guys, I never had any intention to mislead anyone, honestly figured on the CC being last of the 1266 model line with any further improvements rolled into a future 'not 1266' model.

Our work on shoehorning a 1266 Phi driver into Diana Phi opened up possibilities to improve the drivers within the larger AB-1266 frame. Last year we purchased two new Brother high speed CNC's and Eric spent most of the year mastering their abilities, and now with more intricate high precision machined components for the 1266 drivers, considerably more expensive to manufacture but, the results speak for themselves.

In the end we had to choose between stepping up the performance of the 1266 (again) potentially allowing the CC to come along for the ride, or start a new model. In hindsight we should have raised the price, of course that possibility is always on the table.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Mar 24, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #7,957 of 22,434
i own both the big phi and the diana phi, both headphones that i like a lot. the last weeks with the diana phi i often had the impresssion that even if the headphone comes with a smaler footprint (also sound whise a tad smaler) it's more balanced overall then the big abyss phi. so that's was nice to read that the diana phi is not only a shrunken ab-1266 phi but allready have some dna from the tc in it. so for people that either don't like the size of the big abyss or don't find a good fit the diana phi should be heard.

price whise both headphones perfom excellent, but i have to admit that eu prices are high, lucky me in switzerland the prices are quite similar to the us, high but ok and finish is excellent (even the leather smells perfect).

the last posts in this thread makes me a bit sad (from both sides). i'm on the side, decide, buy and be happy with it. when the next day a new model comes out, that's life and abyss has a gentle way to deal with this topic. also the service from abyss is top. but i have the feeling that the company acts in this public form some few times like dr jekyll and mr hyde. the last phrase sounds like "and now be gentle or we rise the prise" imo not a whise statement...a good engineer should be proud to deliver better perfromace for the same price. but maybe i'm only a older man with a baroque understanding of this world :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #7,958 of 22,434
BTW, I'd like to test those Abyss 1266 Phi CC but my head isn't big enough. I went to YT but all I found was an "how to" when once has a too big head. Could anyone help me ? Please not that I can wear tens of other headphones I've used or tried during my life. Is there a way to make is a little less uncomfortable than an AKG K340 ?

Thanx for your kind help.
Do the same thing as the "big head" adjustment, but bend the headband inward instead of outward?

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #7,959 of 22,434
i own both the big phi and the diana phi, both headphones that i like a lot. the last weeks with the diana phi i often had the impresssion that even if the headphone comes with a smaler footprint (also sound whise a tad smaler) it's more balanced overall then the big abyss phi. so that's was nice to read that the diana phi is not only a shrunken ab-1266 phi but allready have some dna from the tc in it. so for people that either don't like the size of the big abyss or don't find a good fit the diana phi should be heard.

price whise both headphones perfom excellent, but i have to admit that eu prices are high, lucky me in switzerland the prices are quite similar to the us, high but ok and finish is excellent (even the leather smells perfect).

the last posts in this thread makes me a bit sad (from both sides). i'm on the side, decide, buy and be happy with it. when the next day a new model comes out, that's life and abyss has a gentle way to deal with this topic. also the service from abyss is top. but i have the feeling that the company acts in this public form some few times like dr jekyll and mr hyde. the last phrase sounds like "and now be gentle or we rise the prise" imo not a whise statement...a good engineer should be proud to deliver better perfromace for the same price. but maybe i'm only a older man with a baroque understanding of this world :wink:
How much is the big phi in Switzerland?

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #7,964 of 22,434
Do the same thing as the "big head" adjustment, but bend the headband inward instead of outward?

Thanx a lot but I bent it inward and instantly it retakes it's original form. And I'm afraid to push to hard and bend it once and for all.

When you push it outward, it the try to try to retake your original force but the pads on your hear prevent it to do it completely and it is tight enough.

On the inward way, the is nothing to prevent it to regaining its normal shape.

May be some pieces that would be placed by those who need them (small headed) between the earpiece and the pad would help.

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #7,965 of 22,434
Would be interesting to know if there will be a diana TC.

I've asked @Joe Skubinski if there was a solution to my "little head" issue. Wait and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back