The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #7,786 of 22,483
I’m using the Takatsuki TA-274, KR Audio 2A3, and Electro Harmonix 6C45. Excellent upgrades from the stock tubes. Highly recommend in a system as highly resolved as the wa33 and abyss tc. Honestly it sounds real.

I'm running, Western Electric 274B NOS Rec, RCA 2A3 NOS Monoplate, EH 6C45. I have a takatsuki 274 as well, but I ultimately prefer the WE.

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #7,788 of 22,483
Thanks! I will have to give the Western Electric a try.

See the WA33 review in my sig for a comparison on the tubes i've tried.

Mar 11, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #7,789 of 22,483
I have finally taken the plunge and am picking up my Abyss 1266 Phi CC tomorrow.

My current headphone amp is a Eddie Current ZDS. Love it but from what I’ve read then I doubt it’s got the minerals to get the best out of the Abyss.

I have not tried a Lau before but have heard it pairs well.

I’m also tempted by keeping the ZDS & purchasing a First Watt F7 or Pass Labs XA25.

Any advice on the above, or other options would be appreciated.

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #7,790 of 22,483
Definitely add to your list Niimbus US4+, very universal amplifier plus, it does the thing with 1266, this combination really shines.

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #7,791 of 22,483
I’m using the Takatsuki TA-274, KR Audio 2A3, and Electro Harmonix 6C45. Excellent upgrades from the stock tubes. Highly recommend in a system as highly resolved as the wa33 and abyss tc. Honestly it sounds real.
Sweet, I’ve heard that combo in the 33 and you’re right it’s startlingly realistic. I’m still running in my 33 with the stock tubes at around 90hrs but I’ll be looking for upgrade tubes soon.

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #7,792 of 22,483
I took ownership of my Abyss 1266 TC's early last week and have spent the next 6 days listening to my usual material, alongside some music I rarely sample but enjoy none-the-less. I listen to predominantly electronica via my headphone rig details of which you'll note via my signature. Specifically, this means I listen to a lot of experimental dub, ambient, techno and deep/progressive house.

As such, a transducer that's quick and agile, with the ability to deliver a dynamic sound that excels in both high and low frequency extension without taking away from the musicality of the piece of music I'm listening to sits at the top of my list of requirements. Up until the TC I felt the OG Abyss delivered this in spades.

Having happily owned the OG Abyss for 5 years. I spent the weeks leading up to the arrival of the TC literally shaking my head in disbelief. Wondering how on earth they could improve on the sound. Impossible I thought, perhaps a small incremental improvement: the kind of improvement I had experienced with the original Phi (which wasn't enough for me to upgrade) I told myself. Well, I was wrong. In comparison to the OG Abyss the TC is a revelation. If I were to list the top three improvements to my ear they are:

1) Resolution
The improvement in resolution is breath-taking. This improvement presents itself as more air between instruments (read: synths, loops, samples and beats) allowing the dynamic abilities of the new TC driver to showcase its other worldly properties in a chasm that seems suspended time and space. The electronica I listened to is layered and complex. The TC manages to lay-out all of this complexity in a balanced, coherent yet extremely resolving way. The OG Abyss sounds congested and more than a few steps off the mark with respect to PRAT. At the risk of trotting out a well worn cliche, the old adage of a veil being lifted to expose a clearer window into the music was precisely my experience here.

2) High frequency extension
Like most I found the OG Abyss to be a touch sibilant on some recordings. On well mastered electronica this wasn't an issue and allowed the OG to do it's thing in all it's visceral and dynamic glory. However, anyone who listens to electronica will tell you that the term "well mastered electronica" can be seen as a contradiction in terms. With the OG, I often had to trade off some finesse and composure in the high frequencies for the full palette of sonic experiences on show when listening to electronica. Not so with the TC. I'm not exactly sure how Joe's managed to increase resolution while increasing the musicality on less than stellar recordings - but he's done it! High-frequencies are no longer sibilant but rather fully extended with the ability to stop on a dime. This precision is mesmerizing, where the OG's highs seemed to be reaching the limits of its driver the TC delivers a step change that's unlike anything I've heard, nothings strained or stretched. Just relaxed and beautiful. Terms not often associated the type of dark melodic tech house you'll hear reverberating in Berghain at 2pm on a Sunday.

3) Low frequency texture, impact, and extension
One (if not THE) best thing about the OG Abyss was it's bass. As you can imagine bass is the foundation of the four-four beat. The rock that most great electronica is built upon. While I consider myself a recovering bass-head, I still haven't lost my appreciation and respect for a transducer that's able to do bass well, i.e. when bass impact and texture intersects with control and finesse. Any driver can bang out a beat, but only world class drivers do so with absolute control, rhythm and timing. The TC breaks through the benchmark set by it's older sibling. This bass here is as indulgent in its nuance as it is impactful in its delivery.

Suffice to say I'm besotted by the new TC. I know it sounds strange to be grateful about the opportunity to drop $6K on a pair of new headphones but that's exactly how I feel. There's no shortage of exceptional TOTL headphones out there at eye-watering prices. They all offer up their own unique signatures. For me the OG Abyss was always what did it for me, however I'd be lying if I wasn't tempted by the likes of the Susvara. I'm quite happy to say that I can again hop-off the upgrade treadmill for another few years.

Is this a safe place for richly layered electronic music loving bassheads? I think you and I have the exact same tastes in music and tonality. I’ve been chasing that sound you’re describing from headphones(Audezes)for years now and I think your post just pushed me over the edge to sell my LCD-4 and go TC. I’ve gone up the chain in dacs and amps all the way to my current setup of WA33/TT2 (sold my DAVE for sounding too thin) to try and get that middle of a Berlin techno club experiencing a Mind Against or Tale of Us set in the dark with minimal lighting design type of feeling. LCD-4 gets close but for true impactful four-four beat bass I have to eq them between TT2 and WA33 with a Schiit Loki. I don’t hear any loss of resolution, but it always feels wrong to have to go that route. Also the LCD-4’s peaky upper treble can take you out of the zone so quickly with the wrong track I’m afraid to listen to half of my good stuff. I’ve heard the standard Phi from a WA33 and loved it, but still wasn’t sure if it had enough impact for my hard hitting layered well mastered tech house, and indie electronica like Kiasmos, Christian Löffler, Gidge, Lycoriscoris, etc. Then I’m reading reviews on the CC pads saying they flatten out the bass even more. Trends like that have kept me clinging safely to my eq’d Audezes, but if what you say is true about the TC having the slam of the OG or more, improved resolution, no siblant highs, AND improved musicality..I’m going to need those asap.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #7,794 of 22,483
Is this a safe place for richly layered electronic music loving bassheads? I think you and I have the exact same tastes in music and tonality. I’ve been chasing that sound you’re describing from headphones(Audezes)for years now and I think your post just pushed me over the edge to sell my LCD-4 and go TC. I’ve gone up the chain in dacs and amps all the way to my current setup of WA33/TT2 (sold my DAVE for sounding too thin) to try and get that middle of a Berlin techno club experiencing a Mind Against or Tale of Us set in the dark with minimal lighting design type of feeling. LCD-4 gets close but for true impactful four-four beat bass I have to eq them between TT2 and WA33 with a Schiit Loki. I don’t hear any loss of resolution, but it always feels wrong to have to go that route. Also the LCD-4’s peaky upper treble can take you out of the zone so quickly with the wrong track I’m afraid to listen to half of my good stuff. I’ve heard the standard Phi from a WA33 and loved it, but still wasn’t sure if it had enough impact for my hard hitting layered well mastered tech house, and indie electronica like Kiasmos, Christian Löffler, Gidge, Lycoriscoris, etc. Then I’m reading reviews on the CC pads saying they flatten out the bass even more. Trends like that have kept me clinging safely to my eq’d Audezes, but if what you say is true about the TC having the slam of the OG or more, improved resolution, no siblant highs, AND improved musicality..I’m going to need those asap.

From my experience the WA33 paired with the Abyss TC (on SC cable) has bass power, weight, texture, and slam in spades. Easily the best I've heard - man this TC can slam hard on electronic music or provide the most nuanced acoustic bass on jazz. Definitely earns the deepest Abyss name on this one. Compared to the Phi with deluxe cable, the TC with SC cable is in another league. :) (and the Phi is truly amazing in its own right!)

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #7,795 of 22,483
I hope so! Otherwise I'll be hanging out by the exit

When the transparency and trebleheads come’a commenting I’ll be right there with you brother like ok bye:v:

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #7,796 of 22,483
From my experience the WA33 paired with the Abyss TC (on SC cable) has bass power, weight, texture, and slam in spades. Easily the best I've heard - man this TC can slam hard on electronic music or provide the most nuanced acoustic bass on jazz. Definitely earns the deepest Abyss name on this one. Compared to the Phi with deluxe cable, the TC with SC cable is in another league. :) (and the Phi is truly amazing in its own right!)
Wowwww ok if that’s so TC/SC is gonna happen then. Do you use a Shunyata power cable for your WA33? Can you notice any SQ differences vs stock on your Abyss TCs? I just ordered a Wireworld Silver Electra 7 to replace my crappy generic power cable feeding the WA33. It hasn’t arrived yet but I’m worried I’ll be returning it for doing nothing for the sound. Have to try it out at this level of amp I guess, right?

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #7,797 of 22,483
Wowwww ok if that’s so TC/SC is gonna happen then. Do you use a Shunyata power cable for your WA33? Can you notice any SQ differences vs stock on your Abyss TCs? I just ordered a Wireworld Silver Electra 7 to replace my crappy generic power cable feeding the WA33. It hasn’t arrived yet but I’m worried I’ll be returning it for doing nothing for the sound. Have to try it out at this level of amp I guess, right?

Definitely worth a try for sure. Yep I hear a difference with the Shunyata cable on my WA33. Ive noticed improvements on every component I’ve tried it on regardless of the price.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #7,798 of 22,483
@kyle1010 - Apologies about the late reply, yes, I suspect the Abyss TC is precisely what you're looking for. It has absolutely everything purveyors of fine bass appreciate: Slam, extension, texture and of course PRAT.

It's a remarkable headphone.

It transports me to the best clubs I've been to i.e. Berghain/Panorama Bar, Watergate, DC10, Fabric etc...in truth the sound-quality of the TC's exceeds that of the high-end PA system's from the likes of Funktion 1, but as you and I both know going to these clubs is as much a psychological experience as it is a physical one and the Abyss TC with it's clarity and all out take on dynamics just takes you there. Enjoy!

I must resist reading what I've read about the WA33! It looks like my next inevitable upgrade. Having said that the Abyss TC's out of the Hugo TT2 are just brilliant.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #7,799 of 22,483
Just a comment on burn in. It took me about 20 to 30 hours for the bass to go from slightly uncontrolled and flabby to tight, deep, and tuneful. YMMV.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #7,800 of 22,483
Picked a nice used phi CC and I'm literally blown away. One thing I noticed is that they are pretty open and when I turn up the volume, my family can enjoy it as well...lol
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back