The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #7,801 of 22,555
I still debating internally on weather i should spring for the new Abyss TC. My current Phi+CC pads are still sounding mighty fine to me and all this upgrading is starting to wear me out a bit. I have not heard the new Abyss TC yet but I would assume that it sounds awesome. How much more "awesome-mer" will the Abyss TC be from the Abyss Phi is I think up for debate.

I'm just curious to know how many of the current Abyss Phi owners will be jumping to the new Abyss TC since there is no direct upgrade path available.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #7,802 of 22,555
Picked a nice used phi CC and I'm literally blown away. One thing I noticed is that they are pretty open and when I turn up the volume, my family can enjoy it as well...lol
:)
True! I always felt by turning up the volume on the Abyss is akin to moving forwards a few more rolls in a rock concert. Everything just seems to get more and more intense!

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #7,803 of 22,555
I still debating internally on weather i should spring for the new Abyss TC. My current Phi+CC pads are still sounding mighty fine to me and all this upgrading is starting to wear me out a bit. I have not heard the new Abyss TC yet but I would assume that it sounds awesome. How much more "awesome-mer" will the Abyss TC be from the Abyss Phi is I think up for debate.

I'm just curious to know how many of the current Abyss Phi owners will be jumping to the new Abyss TC since there is no direct upgrade path available.

I'll be getting mines tomorrow.

True! I always felt by turning up the volume on the Abyss is akin to moving forwards a few more rolls in a rock concert. Everything just seems to get more and more intense!

The volume knob with the abyss is infectious, but dangerous, take care not to go too loud, the abyss will be fine, your ears won't. :D

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #7,804 of 22,555
@kyle1010 - Apologies about the late reply, yes, I suspect the Abyss TC is precisely what you're looking for. It has absolutely everything purveyors of fine bass appreciate: Slam, extension, texture and of course PRAT.

It's a remarkable headphone.

It transports me to the best clubs I've been to i.e. Berghain/Panorama Bar, Watergate, DC10, Fabric etc...in truth the sound-quality of the TC's exceeds that of the high-end PA system's from the likes of Funktion 1, but as you and I both know going to these clubs is as much a psychological experience as it is a physical one and the Abyss TC with it's clarity and all out take on dynamics just takes you there. Enjoy!

I must resist reading what I've read about the WA33! It looks like my next inevitable upgrade. Having said that the Abyss TC's out of the Hugo TT2 are just brilliant.
Yeah I’m sold. The only question remaining is which cable, your Dana Lazuli Reference(or Ultra?), or the JPS superconductor. I’ve owned a standard Dana Lazuli on my LCD-Xs and loved it for the added note weight and improved imaging, but it did roll off a little treble extension. That’ll be a tough call on cables.

I just made the journey to DC10 and Fabric last summer, unforgettable nights. I liked Privilege(Ibiza)and Shelter(Amsterdam..Funktion 1 system in there)more but anything that sonically transports me back there or any world class techno venue is a must have regardless of cost. It’s totally a psychological experience and I hate to tell you this but WA33 is going to enhance that experience for you by a large amount. Talk about getting absolutely lost in the music my god that amp is phenomenal. I think my soul and system are ready for TC.

2CA91A8D-85CF-43E2-ADCE-1E85162B9EC6.jpeg B35E6AA1-F38B-49C8-AF96-D6186966E9FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #7,806 of 22,555
@kyle1010 - Apologies about the late reply, yes, I suspect the Abyss TC is precisely what you're looking for. It has absolutely everything purveyors of fine bass appreciate: Slam, extension, texture and of course PRAT.

It's a remarkable headphone.

It transports me to the best clubs I've been to i.e. Berghain/Panorama Bar, Watergate, DC10, Fabric etc...in truth the sound-quality of the TC's exceeds that of the high-end PA system's from the likes of Funktion 1, but as you and I both know going to these clubs is as much a psychological experience as it is a physical one and the Abyss TC with it's clarity and all out take on dynamics just takes you there. Enjoy!

I must resist reading what I've read about the WA33! It looks like my next inevitable upgrade. Having said that the Abyss TC's out of the Hugo TT2 are just brilliant.
I am curious to know more about the synergy between Abyss and the TT2 as this will probably be my next setup. I am considering buying the Superconductor cable and having the 1/4 plug for the TT2 front output. Will this be a good solution considering the 2 XLR outs in the back to feed the Abyss? Just want to make sure I buy this cable right to make the best use out of the TT2. Thanks!

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #7,808 of 22,555

I am going for it, just waiting for it to arrive at my dealers.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #7,809 of 22,555
I've been away from the forum for a while, but wanted to get some input on the new tc abyss headphones.

I bought the original abyss 1266 headphones over a year ago. I was on the waitlist for the phi upgrade but never heard back from abyss.

At the 1 year mark, I reached out and they told me they no longer do the upgrade and there is no path to trade in, trade up for tc.

How are you guys addressing this. Are you keeping your old set, selling it here or Ebay?

Has anyone made the jump and was it worth it?

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #7,810 of 22,555
I am curious to know more about the synergy between Abyss and the TT2 as this will probably be my next setup. I am considering buying the Superconductor cable and having the 1/4 plug for the TT2 front output. Will this be a good solution considering the 2 XLR outs in the back to feed the Abyss? Just want to make sure I buy this cable right to make the best use out of the TT2. Thanks!
I would highly recommend going with the 2 XLR outs from the back. The added power is definitely noticeable and the Abyss sound mighty fine being driven from the balanced outs of the Hugo TT2.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #7,811 of 22,555
I would highly recommend going with the 2 XLR outs from the back. The added power is definitely noticeable and the Abyss sound mighty fine being driven from the balanced outs of the Hugo TT2.
Are the JPS cable 2 XLR plugs compatible with the TT2 balanced outs form the back?

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #7,812 of 22,555
Are the JPS cable 2 XLR plugs compatible with the TT2 balanced outs form the back?
No, you need female XLR 3 connectors on the cable for the Hugo TT2.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #7,813 of 22,555
No, you need female XLR 3 connectors on the cable for the Hugo TT2.
Any connector recommendations?
Also: how would you compare the Ether 2 and the Abyss, both using the TT2?

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #7,814 of 22,555
I reterminated my Dana Lazuli cable for the TT2's balanced outs. You can get adapters for your cables or get them made by someone who does cables. You want to use pins 2 and 3 on the Hugo2TT for balanced.

The Ether 2 is a really great headphone, very natural tone and great bass extension, probably my second favorite headphone. But the Abyss are in a different league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back