The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #7,818 of 22,596
I am curious to know more about the synergy between Abyss and the TT2 as this will probably be my next setup. I am considering buying the Superconductor cable and having the 1/4 plug for the TT2 front output. Will this be a good solution considering the 2 XLR outs in the back to feed the Abyss? Just want to make sure I buy this cable right to make the best use out of the TT2. Thanks!

This is what Robb Watts just said on the HTT2 thread:
Has anyone compared the SE (front) output on the Chord Hugo TT2 versus the XLR (rear) outputs using the Abyss Phi? Is there any SQ difference assuming I'm not listening too too loudly (-24H or so).

Only consider using the balanced if you are at +6H or above! So you are a long way from needing the XLR's.

I have a cable to run the Abyss from the XLR outputs. It seems a little bit louder but not as much as I would have thought given it's a lot more power. I don't have a solid way to volume adjust to compare but I am having trouble hearing any difference between the two connector methods... Right now I'm leaning towards 1/4" connector and call it good... You may sill want to get the dual XLR cable just to scratch that curiosity itch. Maybe you'll like it more. I also have a pair of powered monitors plugged into the HTT2, so I do like the auto-mute when you plugin the 1/4" HP connector...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #7,819 of 22,596
Allears79 said:
I am curious to know more about the synergy between Abyss and the TT2 as this will probably be my next setup. I am considering buying the Superconductor cable and having the 1/4 plug for the TT2 front output. Will this be a good solution considering the 2 XLR outs in the back to feed the Abyss? Just want to make sure I buy this cable right to make the best use out of the TT2. Thanks!

I find the synergy quite pleasing. I traded off a smidge (technical term) of resolution for what I hear as a fuller, meatier tone in the TT2 compared to the DAVE. I gather the TT2 is being driven at gain given the "H"that appears next to the volume level. I usually listen at a high gain volume setting of -3 in Headphone mode. Perhaps that's a touch excessive.

The TT2 provides enough dynamics and resolution to take my breath away, buuuuuttttt I don't have a point of reference to compare the new Phi TC against. As mentioned I'm resisting listening to the WA33.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #7,820 of 22,596
Got the Tac in hand,

Probably not going to get time to listen tonight, but I'll give it a go tomorrow and over the weekend. :jecklinsmile:

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #7,821 of 22,596
I have a cable to run the Abyss from the XLR outputs. It seems a little bit louder but not as much as I would have thought given it's a lot more power. I don't have a solid way to volume adjust to compare but I am having trouble hearing any difference between the two connector methods... Right now I'm leaning towards 1/4" connector and call it good... You may sill want to get the dual XLR cable just to scratch that curiosity itch. Maybe you'll like it more. I also have a pair of powered monitors plugged into the HTT2, so I do like the auto-mute when you plugin the 1/4" HP connector...
Your cable might not be wired correctly. If it's using pin 1 and 2, it's the same as single ended. Pin 2 and 3 are for balanced and it's noticeably louder for me.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #7,822 of 22,596
Your cable might not be wired correctly. If it's using pin 1 and 2, it's the same as single ended. Pin 2 and 3 are for balanced and it's noticeably louder for me.

Well it certainly is noticeably louder, but not by as much as I would have expected I guess if we're going from around 2w to 18w ... anyways my approx attempts to level match it with the fumbling inbetween I'm not sure I can hear any diff between 1/4 and the XLR...

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #7,823 of 22,596
I find the synergy quite pleasing. I traded off a smidge (technical term) of resolution for what I hear as a fuller, meatier tone in the TT2 compared to the DAVE. I gather the TT2 is being driven at gain given the "H"that appears next to the volume level. I usually listen at a high gain volume setting of -3 in Headphone mode. Perhaps that's a touch excessive.

The TT2 provides enough dynamics and resolution to take my breath away, buuuuuttttt I don't have a point of reference to compare the new Phi TC against. As mentioned I'm resisting listening to the WA33.

@galacticsoap Do not resist..
3F07F6FB-6C95-4668-938C-5CEE3D80DFD8.jpeg

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #7,824 of 22,596
I’m listening to the Abyss TC through the WA33 - it is truly mind bending! Echoing the comments of galacticsoap, the TC is spectacular in resolution and musicality. I have never heard better from any headphone system in 20 years of listening. A truly astonishing accomplishment. Now back to enjoying the music :)

Did you try it with the WA33 Elite Edition as well? I've read a lot of back and forth about which version of that amp is preferred, so I wonder which might pair best with the new TC. Looking for impressions for now.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #7,825 of 22,596
Is this a safe place for richly layered electronic music loving bassheads? I think you and I have the exact same tastes in music and tonality. I’ve been chasing that sound you’re describing from headphones(Audezes)for years now and I think your post just pushed me over the edge to sell my LCD-4 and go TC. I’ve gone up the chain in dacs and amps all the way to my current setup of WA33/TT2 (sold my DAVE for sounding too thin) to try and get that middle of a Berlin techno club experiencing a Mind Against or Tale of Us set in the dark with minimal lighting design type of feeling. LCD-4 gets close but for true impactful four-four beat bass I have to eq them between TT2 and WA33 with a Schiit Loki. I don’t hear any loss of resolution, but it always feels wrong to have to go that route. Also the LCD-4’s peaky upper treble can take you out of the zone so quickly with the wrong track I’m afraid to listen to half of my good stuff. I’ve heard the standard Phi from a WA33 and loved it, but still wasn’t sure if it had enough impact for my hard hitting layered well mastered tech house, and indie electronica like Kiasmos, Christian Löffler, Gidge, Lycoriscoris, etc. Then I’m reading reviews on the CC pads saying they flatten out the bass even more. Trends like that have kept me clinging safely to my eq’d Audezes, but if what you say is true about the TC having the slam of the OG or more, improved resolution, no siblant highs, AND improved musicality..I’m going to need those asap.

Haha, as I read his feedback I was thinking "this has got to be paid for...". It's like a checkbox, "we need a 'review' for the electronica listeners that'll stop them in their tracks and send them right to the TC checkout". And there they have it.

I also read that thinking, yeah, my vein of electronica is a bit different, I'm feeling a lot of synthwave and chill-house lately, but everything he's saying resonates with me and those are all issues I've had while dealing with headphone, amp, and DAC choice over the past 10 years. Looks like the TC might be the one for me. At least I'm not alone in feeling in tune, and maybe "taken", by that post :)

I'm looking forward to running the TCs off the collection of amps I've built up, though. I -REALLY- wonder if this current mode F1J might make them sing anything special?

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #7,827 of 22,596
@Benny-x LOL! I assure you guys my impressions weren't paid for, but I can understand how some would arrive at that conclusion given how effusive my thoughts were. But no, just a massive fan at being able connect closer with my music.

@deuter - I listen to a ton of music from established producers and DJ's such as: John Digweed, Sasha, Guy J, Nick Warren, pretty much the entire AnjunaDeep stable through to Trentemoller, Patrice Bummel, Maceo Plex, Carl Craig etc...etc..etc and stuff from the likes of Jon Hopkins and Olafur Arnulds. Many artists and producers I love who I haven't listed.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #7,828 of 22,596
Did you try it with the WA33 Elite Edition as well? I've read a lot of back and forth about which version of that amp is preferred, so I wonder which might pair best with the new TC. Looking for impressions for now.
I haven't heard the WA33 Elite- I'm sure its amazing! I'm more than thrilled though using the Abyss TC on the standard edition with upgraded tubes.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #7,830 of 22,596

Users who are viewing this thread

Back