The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #7,832 of 22,596
Has anyone spent enough time comparing the Phi to the TC to give a qualified description of the SQ difference at this point?

I'll be able to give some initial thoughts after the weekend, with more fleshed out thoughts in 2 weeks time.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #7,834 of 22,596
Unboxed, and burning in......

:jecklinsmile:
It's too bad (for us) that you still haven't heard the standard WA33. You've got all the toys that could provide a well-rounded answer of how the WA33 vs. the EE compare across different headphones. And you seem to like music like I do too.

I've read your initial WA33 review from last year (thanks for that one, I'm a current LAu owner), but now that you've got the TC there, the Abyss Phi CC, AND the Susvara, it'd be pretty cool to hear your thoughts across them when fed from a Tier 1 amp, and with electronic music~:grimacing:

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #7,835 of 22,596
Unboxed, and burning in......

:jecklinsmile:
Holy schiit, champ original versus champ reimagined, this comparison's gonna be interesting. And is that an OG or an OG with Phi drivers?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #7,836 of 22,596
@Benny-x LOL! I assure you guys my impressions weren't paid for, but I can understand how some would arrive at that conclusion given how effusive my thoughts were. But no, just a massive fan at being able connect closer with my music.
I was just poking fun at how "aligned" the feedback was. Even another guy chimed in too about how it seemed to hit on all the "but what about all my bass" concerns we have when buying f**cked off headphone gear that's way too much money. It was good, I liked it.

I've been moving closer to the Abyss headphones over the past year anyway, so now that there have been 2 releases already (CC and now TC), and the TC feedback compares favourably in the bass department and the mids with the OG and other more "even" headphones, it's really pushing me towards that checkout cart. The $6000 price of the Abyss TC also helps offset the perceived lack of value of a 3m SuperConductor cable. It's now -only- 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of the headphones. That's right in line with normal aftermarket upgrades for more normally priced headphones :wink:

I haven't heard the WA33 Elite- I'm sure its amazing! I'm more than thrilled though using the Abyss TC on the standard edition with upgraded tubes.
I've read on a few forums now that some people prefer the standard WA33 over the EE. They say the EE is a little too lush sounding and rolls off some parts. That the standard WA33 is a better "complete" package vs. the EE being a better subjective package if your particular tastes go that way. I have no idea, but it's an interesting concept to subscribe to when the EE is $7K more and you still have to sort yourself out with aftermarket tubes...

I think what you have there is something I'll have to consider shooting for once I get the TC in house and the Cayin HA-300 later this year. I'm excited about the HA-300, it'll be my second foray into tubes, but about 1o years since the first one.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #7,837 of 22,596
Holy schiit, champ original versus champ reimagined, this comparison's gonna be interesting. And is that an OG or an OG with CC drivers?
It's a Phi + CC pads, not an OG. Though I can't recall (I'm just a low-level stalker, I should be fired) whether he had the OG first and then upgraded to the Phi, before going Phi CC-pads, or not.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #7,838 of 22,596
It's a Phi + CC pads, not an OG. Though I can't recall (I'm just a low-level stalker, I should be fired) whether he had the OG first and then upgraded to the Phi, before going Phi CC-pads, or not.
I see. But if memory serves me right only OGs have glossy finish, Phi has matte finish all along even before CC came out. I could be wrong though.

I was just poking fun at how "aligned" the feedback was. Even another guy chimed in too about how it seemed to hit on all the "but what about all my bass" concerns we have when buying f**cked off headphone gear that's way too much money. It was good, I liked it.
That another guy's probably me lol. Unashamed OG whore here, luv dat bass.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #7,839 of 22,596
It's too bad (for us) that you still haven't heard the standard WA33. You've got all the toys that could provide a well-rounded answer of how the WA33 vs. the EE compare across different headphones. And you seem to like music like I do too.

I've read your initial WA33 review from last year (thanks for that one, I'm a current LAu owner), but now that you've got the TC there, the Abyss Phi CC, AND the Susvara, it'd be pretty cool to hear your thoughts across them when fed from a Tier 1 amp, and with electronic music~:grimacing:

Also have the Utopia as well :wink:

I have my old headroom amp there I can try them on that, but a stock wa33 would be alot better than that. Based on the improved sound of the EE with upgraded tubes, I'd think the wa33 std + upgraded tubes will sound better than a stock Elite.

Holy schiit, champ original versus champ reimagined, this comparison's gonna be interesting. And is that an OG or an OG with Phi drivers?

It was an OG sent in for the phi driver upgrades and CC pads added.

I lived with the OG for a few years before the phi upgrade was made available.

All that said, I am very familiar with every version of the abyss as I've owned them all for a significant amount of time. I have previous writeups and comparison of the OG vs the Phi, then with the CC pads added. I'll use that as a reference for the phi+cc vs TC comparison. And though it's been a while now, i still remeber how the OG sounded and what it's strenghts and weaknesses were.

But I can say that I prefer the phi with cc pads alot over the OG.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #7,840 of 22,596
I've read on a few forums now that some people prefer the standard WA33 over the EE. They say the EE is a little too lush sounding and rolls off some parts. That the standard WA33 is a better "complete" package vs. the EE being a better subjective package if your particular tastes go that way. I have no idea, but it's an interesting concept to subscribe to when the EE is $7K more and you still have to sort yourself out with aftermarket tubes...
I've had a friend say the same thing - that the standard version sounds better... Sounds like it's definitely worth organising an audition before purchase.

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #7,841 of 22,596
I've had a friend say the same thing - that the standard version sounds better... Sounds like it's definitely worth organising an audition before purchase.

You'll get folks on either end. Just like their are folks that say the OG sounds Better than the phi. But imho the phi >>> og.

I spoke to a few trusted members who has heard both wa33 std and ee. As well as Jack Wu, Joe, Jason from TheSorce, and a few others. And after much deliberation and consultation I decided on the EE.

But I'll say again, the stock tubes aren't that great. So which ever version you guys go for, budget for a tube upgrade. Total cost for the tubes I'm running is just over $5k. Stock tubes run about $350.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #7,842 of 22,596
Also I'll add, based on the improvements I've heard about of std vs EE, I'd recon that folks who prefer OG would prefer std wa33.

Above in the thread someone compared the EE to being more lush. I don't exactly agree with how it was phrased but the same can be said for OG vs Phi.

If you prefer a more raw, unrifined presentation, the OG+Std WA33 may be the way to go. If you want something more refined, full bodied, enjoyable. Phi+EE.

But of course the std is still a great amp and you won't go wrong either way. (provided you upgrade those tubes, that's a muss, completely transformed the EE for me)

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #7,843 of 22,596
I've read a lot of back and forth about which version of that amp is preferred
Maybe I missed where 'a lot of this back and forth" was posted. Would you mind sharing where you've read this, please?

Also have the Utopia as well
I thought the Utopia was long gone?
Congratulations on the TC.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #7,844 of 22,596
Maybe I missed where 'a lot of this back and forth" was posted. Would you mind sharing where you've read this, please?

I thought the Utopia was long gone?
Congratulations on the TC.

I put it up for sale, but a friend in my home country wants it, I'll get it to him when I head back around Aug for vacation. Until then, it's still around.

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #7,845 of 22,596
I'll be able to give some initial thoughts after the weekend, with more fleshed out thoughts in 2 weeks time.

Amazing setup you have. A couple questions. Are the TCs more of a grey color overall or is that just the ceramic coating highly reflecting your camera flash? Can you post a pic or two without flash? I thought they were a ceramic black or very dark grey. Also, are you running that fantasy system off a Yggdrasil? Curious as that’s all I see in the pics and in your reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back