The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #5,026 of 22,596
I don't agree, I have both sitting right here next to me. Not everything I say is correct, it is for me though subjectively. I listen to music everyday, every day I by choice reach for either the Utopia's/Abyss through the 234's - MSB or more recently Stax 009/MSB Stack. 

Oh I wish I hadn't commentated on that question, I had managed to avoid that one for quite a while. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #5,027 of 22,596
I've just replied to Nik in a PM, but guess i can put my impressions here:

Based on very very very early listening of Utopia:

The utopia is an awesome headphone, and very similar to the Abyss IMO for what it does. 

Comparing the HEK to the Utopia/Abyss are very different, so easy to form an opinion there as they are different ends of the spectrum.

But what i love about the abyss is the amazing power, authority, clarity. The utopia does all of that really well also, just different.

One user said it best, the abyss and utopia are like different flavors of icecream. Depends on your taste. They are very much different, yet still very similar lol.

The Utopia has a more full bodied lush sound. And handles mids/vocals etc more naturally so better to my ears. The abyss in contrast can be considered too analytical / harsh when compared to utopia for vocals/mids/highs. Where the abyss really shines is in the bass. it's so powerful, so forceful. The utopias have awesome bass as well. But id give the edge to Abyss there. My issue with the abyss is, depending on the track and fit, the bass can loose control, and i may have to re-adjust the headphone on head to solve it. The utopias on the other hand are a normal headphone fit. So it will sound consistent every time with no adjustment required.

The abyss has the ability to sound open, spacious and wide whiles still sounding forceful, accurate, immediate, aggressive. The utopias are very fast as well, but does that in more of a way that a closed back headphone would. So it does not have an open sound. It really sounds like the best closed back headphone you can get, whiles not having any of the flaws of a closed back cans. The utopias also retrieves detail like no other. I can literally hear things in the tracks that i couldn't make out obviously on the abyss.

What i can say is, the utopia and abyss are both so good at what they do im considering selling one. The HEK is different enough to keep it around. but the Utopia / Abyss are really good similar flavors and there's alot of overlap between the 2. I may sell the abyss, i may keep it around. Really not sure atm. Last night i heard a track on both and thought to myself.....WOW the abyss are awesome! i cant let these things go. When the abyss excels they really excel. what i am sure of though. is the utopias are something special. (Just like the Abyss).

Great short comparison of yours!

I have borrowed the Utopia a few times lately for shorter periods, but i have just connected them to the DAVE because i didn't got a XLR-1/4" female adapter so could run them on the Moon, but this time i have tha adaptor in my possession , so i will lend them most probably tomorrow once again for a longer period for a extensive comparison.

As @Yoga mentioned the Moon taking care of many of the Abyss known flaws in a great way, i would not say total transformation, but almost . It is like a slick Bentley Flying Spur with the elegance and effortless power, and it presenting the mids much better with an easiness so the sound is never harsh at all.

Update you during the weekend and during next week.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #5,028 of 22,596
Dec 2, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #5,031 of 22,596
For those of you guys that are comparing the various headphones (abyss, focal, audeze) with various cables (dhc prion or complement/spore, superconductor)... How are you swapping the cables between headphones? Using adapters from dhc? Or are the cables completely dedicated to the cans?

I ask because I am trying to decide which plunge to take... Abyss or focal. And would love to be able to continue using my existing cable that I truly appreciate. And compare to one that would rival it... Prion most likely. But I would like for it to be flexible among current and future headphones.

Preferred methods for you guys?

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #5,032 of 22,596

We are noticing many getting one main (typically flagship) cable and using adapters when needed for different headphones and/or different sources.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Dec 2, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #5,033 of 22,596
I always appreciate your music suggestions!!  Any particular track you are hooked on right now?

Oh, thanks Paul, glad you like them:blush:

Always fun to share tracks that show of our beloved magic Abyss ! :blush:

Just a few samples of my library..

The hole album is realy good, but i am stuck on Track 5 , Track 7 and Track 3 in that order.

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #5,034 of 22,596
For those of you guys that are comparing the various headphones (abyss, focal, audeze) with various cables (dhc prion or complement/spore, superconductor)... How are you swapping the cables between headphones? Using adapters from dhc? Or are the cables completely dedicated to the cans?

I ask because I am trying to decide which plunge to take... Abyss or focal. And would love to be able to continue using my existing cable that I truly appreciate. And compare to one that would rival it... Prion most likely. But I would like for it to be flexible among current and future headphones.

Most of us have ordered the DHC cables with micro phono connector , and then you can just buy any adaptor plugs you wish and put on.

So you can use your expensive / exclusive DHC cable for ever..

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #5,035 of 22,596

Don't sleep on the DanaCable Lazuli Reference. Switching to DanaCables has been one of the best upgrades I have ever made. It has turned listening from a want to a need. The music just flows!

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #5,036 of 22,596
Thanks for the input guys. Not familiar with Dana cables. Will research a bit.

My current high end cable is terminated with audeze connectors. I really wanna be able to A/B test that with the new cables. Just for personal gratification. I do not believe myself to be in the league of most of u ultra detailed folks here. But damn what a great resource u guys are to learn from.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5,037 of 22,596
All my cables are terminated with audeze mini xlr and then I use adaptors to abyss, he6, he1000, hd800, hd650 etc etc.

I often find myself preferring my Alo Audio Ref16 to my Spore4 (shielded). The latter is super smooth and detailed, but the tone is a bit lean. The Alo sounds more balanced in tonality.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #5,038 of 22,596
Thanks for the input guys. Not familiar with Dana cables. Will research a bit.

My current high end cable is terminated with audeze connectors. I really wanna be able to A/B test that with the new cables. Just for personal gratification. I do not believe myself to be in the league of most of u ultra detailed folks here. But damn what a great resource u guys are to learn from.

Thanks

I just posted some resources on DanaCable (links to reviews, etc.) in the Utopia thread for another gentleman, rather than repeating, I'll provide a link to that post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv/3630#post_13057341

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #5,039 of 22,596
All my cables are terminated with audeze mini xlr and then I use adaptors to abyss, he6, he1000, hd800, hd650 etc etc.

I often find myself preferring my Alo Audio Ref16 to my Spore4 (shielded). The latter is super smooth and detailed, but the tone is a bit lean. The Alo sounds more balanced in tonality.

That's the smart way to go, IMO. Get a better cable and then rock adaptors, especially if they have little to no cable involved. I have direct linked Audeze to SMC connectors, so I can turn 5 headphones and 5 cables into 21 different combinations... and that is just two of my connection types.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #5,040 of 22,596
That's the smart way to go, IMO. Get a better cable and then rock adaptors, especially if they have little to no cable involved. I have direct linked Audeze to SMC connectors, so I can turn 5 headphones and 5 cables into 21 different combinations... and that is just two of my connection types.

The Dana, Alo, DHC all take similar basic concepts (multiple smaller strands to reduce resistance yet keep a low "gauge"). Seems like a solid approach. I like it in the Alo and DHC, at least. Would be nice to see some comparisons between the three.

I'm currently getting cables from a guy who uses a different approach to reduce resistance. His power cords and interconnects cables have yielded good results, and I'm getting him to make a custom headphone cable to try as well. Will report back if it works well. His cables are of a unique ribbon design, that is, they are flat, so they are supposed to have a much reduced skin effect compared to traditional rounder cables.

The signature, at least for his ic and power cord, is analog, smooth, with great micro detail and separation. I've never been a fan of "warm" stuff- those tend to come at a loss of technicalities. His stuff has been a nice exception.

Best part? His flagship power cord goes for under $500 for a 6ft length. His other cables are similarly reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back