The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #4,396 of 22,511
  This is the original headband mod posted ages ago which is a bit more professional looking -

So I gave it a try with a quick cable tie job -

Which I have since replaced with velcro so I can adjust it if someone else wants to have a listen

Yea, the original is well done, but requires creating the block. I was going to move to velcro myself, but i had my wire straps dialed in and i just didnt move it. If the short headband doesnt work for me, ill switch to velcro, need to undo the wirestraps for the short head band test anyways.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #4,397 of 22,511
  I've done something similar by removing the top middle of the three screws on the inside band just above the driver plate.  I cut down some of the plastic 'livestrong' type bracelets to make one loop on each side. 

Pix please. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #4,398 of 22,511
I found that if I twist the headband once around the sound quality is increased and it doesn't rest on my ears as much (if any, can't 100% tell)

More comfortable for sure.

I don't trust it though, feels like this method will break the band.

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #4,399 of 22,511
I was doing the twist and double twist you speak of at the beginning as well - I was also concerned with the wear on the rubber rings.  I tried a bunch of silly stuff to make it fit, I even used a cut down toilet paper roll to attempt a better fit.

(I wish I was kidding)

But this is what I do now:

It works extremely well for me.  I would like to get a short Abyss band, but since doing this I don't see a real need anymore, to be honest.

I hope this helps!

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,400 of 22,511
I wonder if the short band would help.

If it does, I am tempted to order one.

Otherwise if there's a fairly easy mod...

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #4,402 of 22,511
Do you think that would be my solution if I current have to flip this band?

Any idea how much it would be?

Already messaged Joe so I am now waiting.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #4,404 of 22,511
  I found that if I twist the headband once around the sound quality is increased and it doesn't rest on my ears as much (if any, can't 100% tell)

More comfortable for sure.

I don't trust it though, feels like this method will break the band.

I twist the headband once around also for a more comfortable fit.  I have the short band but get a hot spot on the top of my head after a while so I've been satisfied with twisting the factory headband once around. 

For example, the Abyss logo is on the top of the band so I twist it around until I can see the Abyss logo again.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #4,405 of 22,511

I twist the headband once around also for a more comfortable fit.  I have the short band but get a hot spot on the top of my head after a while so I've been satisfied with twisting the factory headband once around. 

For example, the Abyss logo is on the top of the band so I twist it around until I can see the Abyss logo again.

That's currently what I am doing, but I worry about it eventually breaking the bands.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #4,406 of 22,511
Just purchased the shorter headband. Hoping for the best.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #4,407 of 22,511
Thinking to diy an adjustable headband hmm. The abyss isn't friendly to letting your friends test it haha

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #4,409 of 22,511
I have recently acquired an Abyss AB-1266 and is in the process of having it burn-in (so far 70 hours or so).  I have 2 or 3 cables from my LCD-3F and LCD-4 (including Nordost Heimdall 2, Entreq Challenger, and the original LCD-4 cable (current non-blue version)) and the Audeze connectors do look similar to those of the Abyss.  Does anyone know if I can use the Audeze cables with the Abyss?  Many thanks.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #4,410 of 22,511
I have recently acquired an Abyss AB-1266 and is in the process of having it burn-in (so far 70 hours or so).  I have 2 or 3 cables from my LCD-3F and LCD-4 (including Nordost Heimdall 2, Entreq Challenger, and the original LCD-4 cable (current non-blue version)) and the Audeze connectors do look similar to those of the Abyss.  Does anyone know if I can use the Audeze cables with the Abyss?  Many thanks.

My understanding is you can't. They look the same but pins are slightly different.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back