The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,351 of 22,406
Starting to countdown the hours.

Can't wait to give these a real shot.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #4,354 of 22,406
Boy your mailman must be punctual...

Sometimes stuff turns up a week or more after I expected it to

It was originally scheduled to arrive tomorrow but they apparently tried to deliver it Saturday.

I am getting home from vacation tomorrow and running straight to the post office to pick it up.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #4,355 of 22,406
It was originally scheduled to arrive tomorrow but they apparently tried to deliver it Saturday.

I am getting home from vacation tomorrow and running straight to the post office to pick it up.

Ah right.  Did you find it hard to enjoy the last part of your holiday knowing your abyss was at home waiting for you and you couldn't hear it? :p 

Hopefully the bar hasn't been set too unrealistically high.  At this point I kinda feel like we've talked it up too much for you to get blown away... Like your expectation level will be over 9000...

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #4,356 of 22,406
Ah right.  Did you find it hard to enjoy the last part of your holiday knowing your abyss was at home waiting for you and you couldn't hear it? :p 

Hopefully the bar hasn't been set too unrealistically high.  At this point I kinda feel like we've talked it up too much for you to get blown away... Like your expectation level will be over 9000...

Very slightly impeached upon yeah haha. Really want to give them a go.

As for expectations, I honestly don't have high expectations believe it or not. I've always been good at setting the bar low for everything in my head. I also know to me the LCD-4 is the best I've heard and it blows me away Everytime I listen to it.

That being said, I am hopeful that the Abyss will surpass it for my preference because that would truly take me aback.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #4,357 of 22,406
Very slightly impeached upon yeah haha. Really want to give them a go.

As for expectations, I honestly don't have high expectations believe it or not. I've always been good at setting the bar low for everything in my head. I also know to me the LCD-4 is the best I've heard and it blows me away Everytime I listen to it.

That being said, I am hopeful that the Abyss will surpass it for my preference because that would truly take me aback.

They are terrible.  The Abyss are the worst headphones in the world*.

See?  I'm helping!  
biggrin.gif

*Based on exclusion of all other headphones in the world.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #4,358 of 22,406
I knew you had my back haha.

I'm actually kind of telling myself the LCD-4 will be better for me so that when (if :wink:) the Abyss is better I'll be shocked.

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #4,360 of 22,406
In all seriousness both are top-shelf headphones.  You really can't go wrong either way.  You are in a lucky position to have both on hand so that you can take your time and make a careful decision.

It should be fun trying to put them up against each other.

Going to have some others in the mix potentially as well. Pretty much everything except the k1000 and Stax.

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #4,361 of 22,406
no rush from my perspective as i've heard both. just trying to point out the problem with using the term "best" in such a broad and subjective way.

How did you like/dislike the Abyss? How would you compare it to your Th900? I know, 2 different price points and 2 very different styles.

I've been debating these for quite some time, as my ever growing stable of IEMS has to come to an end.

Will I get a decent idea of the sound of these with a mojo as an amp for now? If I do decide to purchase the Abyss, what would be a good amp to start with?id like to stay in the $3-4k range. I love bass, while still enjoying nice mids, and good treble extension without being sibilant. More bass as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the spectrum.

If I go this route, this will be my work desktop setup. Space doesn't matter, I have plenty. I work off of a laptop, otherwise my desk is empty.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #4,362 of 22,406

I have a WA5 LE (old version) and I'm wondering if it's sufficient to power the Abyss. 

My other option at the moment is BHA-1.  I'm wondering if I'm looking at a new amp if I take the plunge.

Any opinions?

If I remember correctly Woo Audio has used the WA5 LE and Abyss at shows to showcase what they are both capable of. I'm not sure if that was the old version or new version. In theory, it should pair wonderfully with the Abyss. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #4,363 of 22,406
  If I remember correctly Woo Audio has used the WA5 LE and Abyss at shows to showcase what they are both capable of. I'm not sure if that was the old version or new version. In theory, it should pair wonderfully with the Abyss. 

The new version has selectable high or low power, impedance and level, the old version just has high and low output jacks.  I have a feeling the old version is plenty for the Abyss, but I'm not sure.

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #4,364 of 22,406
The only issue with the old WA5 LE is that it doesn't have the high power output mode at all, so is only able to output around 1.5W instead of the 8W in full power mode so that could be an issue?

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #4,365 of 22,406
The only issue with the old WA5 LE is that it doesn't have the high power output mode at all, so is only able to output around 1.5W instead of the 8W in full power mode so that could be an issue?

It's not so much of how much power, more like how effecient it handles them. 1.5w is more then enough as Long as the amp can handle it well. Before it reaches 1.5w, your ears would have been blown lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back