The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #4,336 of 22,438
Woah woah woah...

Please don't misunderstand me: fear mongering isn't my game.  

I was saying that the 600 is a more capable amp than the 430.  I think most would agree, and it should be given the price difference.  I never said one as bad or 'couldn't do the job'.  Please don't put words in my mouth. 

Sorry if you felt I claimed that. In no way did I put words in your mouth, I was just making the claim I'm likely not upgrading from my Moon Neo for awhile so I'd like thoughts based on it. Not it gets trumped by this and this and this.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #4,337 of 22,438
Sorry if you felt I claimed that. In no way did I put words in your mouth, I was just making the claim I'm likely not upgrading from my Moon Neo for awhile so I'd like thoughts based on it. Not it gets trumped by this and this and this.

Not at all.  You did not 
bigsmile_face.gif

I can appreciate your position and it is a wise path in my opinion: find the headphone you love first, then build everything around that.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #4,338 of 22,438
Not at all.  You did not :bigsmile_face:

I can appreciate your position and it is wise path, in my opinion: find the headphone you love first, then build everything around that.

Exactly my plan :)

If I like them enough I plan on selling all of my gear and upgrading around it.

The 600i is one of the amps I've looked at.
As for dac I haven't decided.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #4,339 of 22,438
  Woah woah woah...

Please don't misunderstand me: fear mongering isn't my game.  

I was saying that the 600 is a more capable amp than the 430.  I think most would agree, and it should be given the price difference.  I never said one as bad or 'couldn't do the job'.  Please don't put words in my mouth. 

Apologies. Misunderstood, my bad.

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #4,340 of 22,438
Thanks again for everyone providing their thoughts.

I'm counting down the hours, can't wait to give them a go.

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #4,342 of 22,438
Well if this helps with the hype. I sold my 009 + bhse rig and kept the abyss wa5 combo.

YMMV of course.

I like the sounds of that, I know that is said to be the other extreme to the Abyss.

I am assuming that it will "for my preference" be more enjoyable "for me" than the LCD-4.

I want an experience more than just to listen to music.

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #4,343 of 22,438
  I like the sounds of that, I know that is said to be the other extreme to the Abyss.

I am assuming that it will "for my preference" be more enjoyable "for me" than the LCD-4.

I want an experience more than just to listen to music.

The Abyss gives me an out of my head experience.  My favorite Spotify playlists are Deep Dark Indie and Lush + Atmospheric.  I use https://soundiiz.com/ to convert Spotify playlists into Tidal playlists. 

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #4,345 of 22,438
The Abyss gives me an out of my head experience.  My favorite Spotify playlists are Deep Dark Indie and Lush + Atmospheric.  I use soundiiz.com to convert Spotify playlists into Tidal playlists. 

Any Spotify playlist links or anything?

I'd be more than happy to try it out. :)

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #4,347 of 22,438
Jul 4, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #4,348 of 22,438

I was speaking to @Beolab about his recently - I don't think the 700i would offer anything over the 600i, and even if it did, it would likely be marginal, or perhaps even negligible. The 600i is already capable of driving world class 2CH gear, and if you read the Absolute Sound review you'll see how well it fares with it. I'd wager that the 600i already pushes the Abyss to its maximum.

I bought the 600i second hand for €2500. Far cheaper than dedicated TOTL headphone amps, and I bet it would give even the Woo 234 a run for its money. Perhaps even best it, taste depending.

You are probably right about the 700i, I wasn't entirely serious...
That's an awesome buy on the 600i.  I would have bought it too...

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #4,349 of 22,438
Since we are sharing some music, I thought I'd share this one - one of my favorite recordings.  Particularly if you like female vocal or orchestral.  Or poetry.

It even sounds good streaming in 480p off youtube so you know the vinyl/cd sounds amazing.  (AFAIK it's not on any music streaming services)

Jul 4, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #4,350 of 22,438
I'm just a final fantasy fan and the distance world albums are my cup of tea haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back