The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #4,321 of 22,434
Awesome review. The point about the headphones fitting well for long periods without causing your ears to sweat is an excellent one. That in and of itself is one of the main advantages of the Abyss - it is great for lounging around, true, but of all the TOTL headphones I've tried - it does the best at staying on and sounding great even when you're active. If anyone has an elliptical or exercise bike and wants to reward themselves with killer sounding tunes, the Abyss can take it and still sound great for a long time. I have experiences with the Stax where you get a weird headphone skull sucking sound as the headphone pads cling to the noggin with any kind of movement - it's gross, and gross really means gross from someone who calls himself MaggotBrain.

I did have the chance to compare the Abyss to a number of different heapdphones when on vacation in Japan a few months ago - the LCD4 sounded fuller than the LCD3 did but only with slightly less skull pressure. Instead of having your head in a vice like the LCD3, it reminded me of getting a Thai scalp massage by my wife's grandmother - that may sound pleasant, and most assuredly is good intentioned, but lemme tell you that Old Yai can break apart a crab with her bare hands (and what's left of her teeth) at 94. Want proof?

Don't let your head end up like that crab carcass - get the Abyss instead.

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #4,322 of 22,434
Don't let your head end up like that crab carcass - get the Abyss instead.

Always an unexpected moral to your posts.  Love it.

More people need to hear the Abyss through the Moon 600i.

It's a KILLER combo; the 600i 'fixes' the mids (fuller and more organic/euphoric) and adds even more control and dynamic power.

Why not just go straight for the 700i at a measly $19k...

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #4,323 of 22,434
  Why not just go straight for the 700i at a measly $19k...

I was speaking to @Beolab about his recently - I don't think the 700i would offer anything over the 600i, and even if it did, it would likely be marginal, or perhaps even negligible. The 600i is already capable of driving world class 2CH gear, and if you read the Absolute Sound review you'll see how well it fares with it. I'd wager that the 600i already pushes the Abyss to its maximum.

I bought the 600i second hand for €2500. Far cheaper than dedicated TOTL headphone amps, and I bet it would give even the Woo 234 a run for its money. Perhaps even best it, taste depending.

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #4,324 of 22,434
  More people need to hear the Abyss through the Moon 600i.

It's a KILLER combo; the 600i 'fixes' the mids (fuller and more organic/euphoric) and adds even more control and dynamic power.

I had the 600i at home for a weeks a little while back.  It's an excellent amp - extremely resolving - and does very well with the Abyss. I had it side by side with the Pass INT-30A.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #4,325 of 22,434
I'm hoping my 430HAD will do the job for the Abyss. From what I've read it's a great match without spending a fair amount more.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #4,326 of 22,434
Has anyone tried the Abyss with the Liquid Glass? I'm currently using the HE-6 out of the LG as a preamp and Parasound A21 power amp. Not sure if this would work with the Abyss. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #4,328 of 22,434
It's a far cry from the 600i if that's what you are wondering.  Are you using the built in DAC as well?

I am using the built in DAC. I've tried lots of higher end gear but the differences are making it hard for me to justify spending twice the amount of money.

See, I've tried may tiers of amps and DACs and the differences even from low to high end become negligible with a great headphone. On top of that, my amp and dac are currently considered to be TOTL gear, in other words spending double really won't do much for me personally.

In no way am I going against there being a difference, I can say going from my lower end Schiit stack or something to my Moon there's a very clear difference, but taking it up to the 600i and a suitable dac likely wouldn't be worth it for me personally. The headphone for my ears makes the most massive difference.

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #4,329 of 22,434
I'm hoping my 430HAD will do the job for the Abyss. From what I've read it's a great match without spending a fair amount more.

It will more than do the job. Don't let others scare you that it won't.

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #4,330 of 22,434
With my post being said, if I were to actually try some higher end gear, what dac do you recommend with the 600i?

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #4,331 of 22,434
I am using the built in DAC. I've tried lots of higher end gear but the differences are making it hard for me to justify spending twice the amount of money.

See, I've tried may tiers of amps and DACs and the differences even from low to high end become negligible with a great headphone. On top of that, my amp and dac are currently considered to be TOTL gear, in other words spending double really won't do much for me personally.

In no way am I going against there being a difference, I can say going from my lower end Schiit stack or something to my Moon there's a very clear difference, but taking it up to the 600i and a suitable dac likely wouldn't be worth it for me personally. The headphone for my ears makes the most massive difference.

I had the 430 HAD before the 600i + Lumin A1. The 430 HAD is an amazing all in one for the Abyss. You won't beat it for price/performance ratio.

You do indeed have to spend more to make it worth your while. I managed to find the 600i and A1 for great prices on the second hand market. Again, how much these changes are worth it to you is personal. If I were you, I'd sit back and enjoy the 430 + Abyss for a while :¬)

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #4,332 of 22,434
I had the 430 HAD before the 600i + Lumin A1. The 430 HAD is an amazing all in one for the Abyss. You won't beat it for price/performance ratio.

You do indeed have to spend more to make it worth your while. I managed to find the 600i and A1 for great prices on the second hand market. Again, how much these changes are worth it to you is personal. If I were you, I'd sit back and enjoy the 430 + Abyss for a while :¬)

Like I said I for sure don't doubt that change, but I'm going to see if the Abyss is for me first with my setup.

I appreciate everyone posting and giving me thoughts.

Current plan is to use Spotify and some of my flacs through toslink to the 430HAD on low gain. Do you guys think high gain would actually help anything? I've read low gain is technically superior, but I don't know.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #4,333 of 22,434
You only need to use high gain if your volume isn't loud enough. If your loudest listening volume is 55/60 (an example) in low gain, you won't benefit from using 40/60 on high gain.

Some people like 'spare overhead' in the volume pot, but in these digital volume control systems it matters not. Avoid gain if possible, which you can with the Abyss and 430.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #4,334 of 22,434
Like I said I for sure don't doubt that change, but I'm going to see if the Abyss is for me first with my setup.

I appreciate everyone posting and giving me thoughts.

Current plan is to use Spotify and some of my flacs through toslink to the 430HAD on low gain. Do you guys think high gain would actually help anything? I've read low gain is technically superior, but I don't know.

Since I cannot use no gain, low gain (14db) is best in my view.  I also do not use Xfeed.
Cheers,

Paul

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #4,335 of 22,434
Woah woah woah...

Please don't misunderstand me: fear mongering isn't my game.  

I was saying that the 600 is a more capable amp than the 430.  I think most would agree, and it should be given the price difference.  I never said one as bad or 'couldn't do the job'.  Please don't put words in my mouth. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back