The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,276 of 22,408
I may come across that I'm a fanboy of the 009's, and that when someone says a different headphone sounds better, then it annoys me, that's not the case.
If the Abyss does sound better than the 009's then that's all good with me.
I do very much like my 009's but I've also got the LCD-XC's and HD-600's which I also use, not as much as the 009's but I still use them.
Ironically since selling the GS-Xmk2 I once had, I use both the LCD-XC and HD-600 with my Pico Slim, again connected to the K-01.

Have you tried the HD800?

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,277 of 22,408
Have you tried the HD800?

I've heard the HD-800's once at a head-fi meeting in 2012 and a Hi-fi meeting a couple of months ago, and both times I wasn't impressed, I can't remember the amp and source being used on both occasions though.
I also got to hear the HD-800's for a very short time with the GS-Xmk2 I then had, but I can't remember how the 800's sounded because of the short time I heard them.
I wasn't auditioning them then because my 009 / BHSE were being auditioned by the person that brought the HD-800's.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,278 of 22,408
I've heard the HD-800's once at a head-fi meeting in 2012 and a Hi-fi meeting a couple of months ago, and both times I wasn't impressed, I can't remember the amp and source being used on both occasions though.
I also got to hear the HD-800's for a very short time with the GS-Xmk2 I then had, but I can't remember how the 800's sounded because of the short time I heard them.
I wasn't auditioning them then because my 009 / BHSE were being auditioned by the person that brought the HD-800's.

Out of all the HD 800 combos I've read about, the GS-X mk2 has by far the most impressive commentary.

I know it's been said many times before: the HD 800 is notorious for being picky with amps (although this has been contested in various technical discussions) and will sound quite different through different systems. It scales more than most others too.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,280 of 22,408
Originally Posted by scolaiw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think what you said is a very viable justification why SOME users prefer the Abyss to the SR-009. Similarly, I am sure there are SOME users who prefer the SR-009 to the Abyss for almost identical reasons. 

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preferences. So long as you like what you hear, nothing else really matters. 

I agree totally that it's personal preference, I guess I was speaking with bias toward my tastes and bias toward the Abyss (this is the Abyss thread), but I am admitting that the consensus seems to be that the 009 is more detailed.

Why such confidence in conjecturing about Jude's unstated thoughts a to why he bought an Abyss over a 009 ?  Maybe his decision was prompted by price (including amp - Jude was happy to use a cheap Mjolnir with the Abyss) - maybe $6,000 sounded better to him than $10,000 ? ... I don't know - but neither do you.

That's kinda exactly what I was trying to say (perhaps not very well).  I think the amping of the 009 was the issue like you said, but I don't know, that was just my thoughts.  The very last bit of that post was my own conclusion, not what I thought he would say about the two.  I admit some of my posts are not quite as well worded as some people's.  It was my own impressions based on his reviews, if that makes sense.

About the Stax 009 needing 5kUSD amp to sound right, it's typically not first hand experience comments. What I mean by this, is that people assume de facto that a 5kUSD woo amp is miles better than a Stax srm323s or 727 when driving sr009, and that's not necessarily true.

For some reason, it happens to be that the 009 does not suck at all with the 727 Stax amp for instance ime, even comparing against a properly tubed Electra for example. It's definitely perfectible, but that special quality of the sr009 to be a chameleon when it comes to showing you the recording in all it's glory details is certainly much better than anything else I've ever hear.

IMO, not all 5kUSD 3rd party stat amps are worth anywhere near what they cost, regardless of blanket statements you might read around...

Having said that, if you could not be bothered with dedicated amp or having a preference for the beefier / more meaty sound of some planar phones, that stats probably aren't for you.

Arnaud

You're right I am generalising about the amps - I haven't heard the Stax first hand so all I can do is rely on what I hear from others unfortunately.  I just looked up the 727 Stax amp, and in Australia it's still a $3749 amp, which is still quite expensive.  For me anyway.

I've said many times ( some will think too many ) that when I go for headphones and also amp and source, I don't just go for SQ but looks as well.
I was never happy with how the 009's looked with it's original headband which is why I did something about it.
Now I'm not going to knock the Abyss's looks anymore but let's assume we were all given $250,000 or £150,000 but we could only spend it on one of two new vehicles, either a Ferrari California of a Tractor. Farmers not included, hands up how many would be going for a tractor.

Yeah, look, I don't know many people that will defend the looks of them.  But once you're listening to them in the comfort of your own home, you may not care what you look like.  I'm going to tell myself that they're metal, and that's cool.  

Some prefer the more relaxed and natural SR-007 over the SR-009 and feel that the extra detail of the latter is unnecessary.

That's true, I've heard that as well.  Maybe I should be looking at the 007 instead.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,281 of 22,408
  Yeah, look, I don't know many people that will defend the looks of them.  But once you're listening to them in the comfort of your own home, you may not care what you look like.  I'm going to tell myself that they're metal, and that's cool.  

That's true, I've heard that as well.  Maybe I should be looking at the 007 instead.

Worry not, my comrade - I shall defend them to the death!
tongue.gif

I think the Abyss looks especially cool from a side angle. That foamed aluminum is godlike.

Check out the gnarly prototype:

All these headphones sound different, so I might as well collect 'em once I have the chance.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,282 of 22,408
Now I remembe why I had stopped reading post regarding The Abyss, people couldn't get pass their looks, and concentrate on the most important thing, (please don't make me say it). I see that saddly, things haven't change much.

This is too bad, but at least, those who do own them, seem to be satisfied, and that all that matters.

I'm hoping that all, or at least one of you will see why I find this next phrase relevent to this thread. If not I'll gladly explain my reasoning.  A Yamaha rep once told me, ''I'm not too worried when Mcintosh comes out with a new surround sound processor, it's when Denon comes out with one, that I sit up and take notice.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,283 of 22,408
i'd like to see more posts from folks who've actually tried the thing. dunno why anyone would be talking up and defending a can they haven't heard. too much fanboyism and second-hand opinions over the last 10 pages.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,284 of 22,408
i'd like to see more posts from folks who've actually tried the thing. dunno why anyone would be talking up and defending a can they haven't heard. too much fanboyism and second-hand opinions over the last 10 pages.

Not sure if you're referring to me, but I've heard them.  
Previously, I completely wrote them off before I'd ever even listened to them because of the price.  Even when given the oppurtunity to listen to them I was hesitant because of the cost of them.  
I think a lot of people posting recently either own or have heard them.  The first 30 odd pages though people mostly hadn't.  
The only reason I'm on this forum is because I loved them so much and am interested in discussions about them.  If I hadn't of listened to them, I would still be ignoring their existence due to the high price tag.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #1,285 of 22,408

I shouldn't be knocking the Abyss's looks, [ again ] it's just that for what the Abyss costs it should be perfect in every way.

Was trying to explain to my wife the argument happening in this thread.  Explained that the Abyss kind of looked like medieval torture device.  Was looking for images on thread to show her picture of it on someone.  Realized there are surprisingly few pictures of the Abyss being worn and many more of the headphones on their own or parts of it.  Btw, when to Abyss website first and even worse there with parts of the Abyss in various shots so I guess JPS knows looks aren't the Abyss' strong suit.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,286 of 22,408

Was trying to explain to my wife the argument happening in this thread.  Explained that the Abyss kind of looked like medieval torture device.  Was looking for images on thread to show her picture of it on someone.  Realized there are surprisingly few pictures of the Abyss being worn and many more of the headphones on their own or parts of it.  Btw, when to Abyss website first and even worse there with parts of the Abyss in various shots so I guess JPS knows looks aren't the Abyss' strong suit.

Your wife is actually willing to listen to you talk about $5000 headphones? 
eek.gif

I can see why you married her! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #1,287 of 22,408

eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Actually, she turned on the vacuum at one point in the "conversation."  We recently had baby.  Hence we are up at all hours and my enthusiasm in headphone equipment is at all time highs.  Baby=No More Speakers.  As for the price, didn't really go into the exact price but she has gotten enough jewelry recently that she should be okay with it, but why risk it :)

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #1,288 of 22,408

eek.gif

beerchug.gif

What a catch :p

Dunno if it's an argument - everyone seems to agree that they look kinda ugly, just some people are able to get past it.  Nomax thinks they are the ugliest cans in the world but also the best sounding cans in the world.  
I guess that's a testament to the sound quality of these things - if they made it look absolutely ridiculous, like you were wearing a wedge of cheese on your head, and people still bought them, they must sound really really good.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #1,289 of 22,408

Actually, she turned on the vacuum at one point in the "conversation."  We recently had baby.  Hence we are up at all hours and my enthusiasm in headphone equipment is at all time highs.  Baby=No More Speakers.  As for the price, didn't really go into the exact price but she has gotten enough jewelry recently that she should be okay with it, but why risk it :)

Hahaha, at least until the credit card statement arrives right? 
wink.gif

Also, congrats on the baby! Have you had a look at some of the closed back cans like the Fostex TH900 yet? The Abyss leaks quite a bit of sound from past experiences.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #1,290 of 22,408
Originally Posted by mulder01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dunno if it's an argument - everyone seems to agree that they look kinda ugly, just some people are able to get past it.  Nomax thinks they are the ugliest cans in the world but also the best sounding cans in the world.  
I guess that's a testament to the sound quality of these things - if they made it look absolutely ridiculous, like you were wearing a wedge of cheese on your head, and people still bought them, they must sound really really good.

I don't know why people dislike their looks so much though. I actually don't mind them at all. Looks very steampunk and industrial to me (and as a result, gives off an indestructible vibe). I'm more concerned about the weight and comfort for long periods of use to be perfectly honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back