The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #12,691 of 22,449
yes, beware of bad recordings

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #12,692 of 22,449
Raal's are not full range headphones unfortunately. There is almost nothing going after 9khz and there is about 5% distortion in sub bass region. That distortion bleeds in to the low mids too. They are very shouty sounding headphones, that 2khz shout is very prominent and makes female vocals sound a bit odd. They don't sound more detailed in mids than 009S to my ears(in treble there isn't even a competition between estats and sr1a), especially if you EQ down all the shouty parts to make them sound pleasant again. They are quite good when it comes to reproducing vocal music(not because they have great tonality, the mid detail and mid dynamics of sr1a is quite good), however if you are into violin / cello solos and chamber music... No, SR1A's are not your thing. Raal's are not recommended for bass heavy music too. Note that, HSA-1b wasn't available in market when I had owned them. They may sound less shouty, distortion may be less with a proper direct drive amp. I really hope HSA-1b makes high treble sound a bit more alive too.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #12,693 of 22,449
Raal's are not full range headphones unfortunately. There is almost nothing going after 9khz and there is about 5% distortion in sub bass region. That distortion bleeds in to the low mids too. They are very shouty sounding headphones, that 2khz shout is very prominent and makes female vocals sound a bit odd. They don't sound more detailed in mids than 009S to my ears(in treble there isn't even a competition between estats and sr1a), especially if you EQ down all the shouty parts to make them sound pleasant again. They are quite good when it comes to reproducing vocal music(not because they have great tonality, the mid detail and mid dynamics of sr1a is quite good), however if you are into violin / cello solos and chamber music... No, Raal's are not your thing. Raal's are not recommended for bass heavy music too. Note that, HSA-1b wasn't available in market when I had owned them. They may sound less shouty, distortion may be less with a proper direct drive amp. I really hope HSA-1b makes treble sound a bit more alive too.
That's crazy. The treble and especially mids from the SR1a bla bla "properly" amped has as good response with far fuller detail than the DIY T2/009. Sure, they can be shouty as they're simply the most revealing headphone on the planet. They also respond to EQ better than any headphone to help mitigate their inherent behavioral characteristics.

I'm curious to hear how my uberamp2 might scale the SR1a a bit more although I don't anticipate bridging the gap far enough as they are fundamentally limited in excursion and there-in ultimate bass response. However, we've been playing this game for years trying to fit one headphone into it checks all the boxes rather than pursuing complimentary ultimatums.

I still go for my TC much more than the SR1a. That bass response is just too real and unrivaled.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #12,694 of 22,449
I reach for the TC the most as well. But for certain music the SR1A is fabulous. Overall, the TC reigns supreme.

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #12,695 of 22,449
The Sr1as and TCs compliment each other well. You want to listen to hip-hop or electronica, use the TCs. If you want high resolution and detail, go with the SR1as.

I will say this though, the TCs work well with every genre. The SR1as don’t. Listening to bass heavy music on the SR1as is very disappointing. Yes, they do pretty much everything else really well. But, if you listen to rap, metal, electronic, you can’t have just the SR1as. With the TCs you can listen to any genre, any song, and be impressed with the sound.

If you can only choose 1 headphone, the TCs are the clear winner

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #12,696 of 22,449
I go back and forth....I think the TC is truly phenomenal but have been reaching for the sr1a more often of late....the susvara are terrific as well...the big 3 IMHO today and the sr1a are simply the most discerning detailed and spacious HP I have heard...for those who seek maximum bass stick with the TC...cannot go wrong either way

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #12,698 of 22,449
they are fine for everything, they are phenomenal and I say that as one who loves my TC's

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #12,699 of 22,449
Lazuli Ultra arrived!
First hour of listen, better soundstage, resolution, better bass control, sound is more soft and pleasant compare to stock especially highs, sound more"wet".
Ultra is thick and quite heavy but very flexible, i have used DHC Piron and in terms of ergonomic i like Ultra more.
I was little affraid of hybrid cable for Abyss but it's great, bump SQ of my Phi!
20201111_112544_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #12,700 of 22,449
Lazuli Ultra arrived!
First hour of listen, better soundstage, resolution, better bass control, sound is more soft and pleasant compare to stock especially highs, sound more"wet".
Ultra is thick and quite heavy but very flexible, i have used DHC Piron and in terms of ergonomic i like Ultra more.
I was little affraid of hybrid cable for Abyss but it's great, bump SQ of my Phi!
20201111_112544_HDR.jpg

Nice! What length did u get? Any difference with the mids?

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #12,702 of 22,449
Lazuli Ultra arrived!

Great you are having fun - as said, it is a great sounding cable. For me, the ergonomics were a no-go ...

I also have cable news: I am using the Superconductor cable for two days now. Unfortunately for my wallet, it sounds great and has the best synergy with the TC imaginable. And it is very flexible and light for a super high end cable.

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #12,703 of 22,449
I tried to repair my ear pads which fell apart (and got disgustingly sticky) because of the runny glue. First I disassembled the pad - leather cover, foam polster, plastic ring attached to the polster (needs to be separated) and magnetic ring. I then cleaned it very thoroughly from the glue with isopropyl alcohol. It is important to remember shape and alignments.

After this, I tried to rebuild the pad using the smallest paper stapler I could find. I started with stapling the outer part of the leather liningto the plastic ring. That part was easy since I could move under the ring with the stapler. Attaching the inner leather lining was a lot trickier to staple. I had to remove and retry several times.

It took quite some time but I am quite pleased with the result so far. The height of the pad is the same as a proper pad. However, the surfaces are not perfectly aligned on top of the frame but it is better in real life than it looks.

I now need to think how to best attach the pad to the magnetic ring. I am thinking of 3M double sided tape.

IMG_2370.JPEGIMG_2373.JPEG
IMG_2371.JPEGIMG_2372.JPEG

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #12,704 of 22,449
Go for the 1266 Imo. I own the Diana V2 and Diana Phi, I used to own the 1266 Phi CC and I have a TC on the way - the Diana's have a pretty small soundstage (and I mean small by headphone standards, not small by 2ch standards). I personally really enjoy that but I don't think it's going to be your cup of tea.
Lazuli Ultra arrived!
20201111_112544_HDR.jpg
If one os going to spend that type of money on a cable I personally would suggest buying the abyss super conductor cable rather than the Lazuli ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back