The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #12,676 of 22,392
I have the older version of the adi-2 pro fs without the remote and because of your post, am trying it out with my TC via a balanced adapter. It certainly gets loud enough. Sounds pretty good after a couple of songs vs the Ifi ican pro that I normally listen out via the RME DAC portion. Warning...I don’t have golden ears

Could you please rate (or refine on) the ifi pro vs the rme? Thank you very much

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #12,677 of 22,392
Could you please rate (or refine on) the ifi pro vs the rme? Thank you very much
So FWIW, today was the first time using the rme pro with the TC. I don’t see too much of a difference, except with the ican pro, I like being able to tweak the sound with the tube mode to round off the treble a little. Hard to know as I find it just more convenient to use the ican with the straight Xlr plug...and I don’t have golden ears. If I end up listening more with the RME which I doubt I will, I will let you know.

Nov 8, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #12,678 of 22,392
Here is a stupid Abyss question:

Is it possible to lie down on a pillow, say on the couch with these headphones? I occasionally like to do that. Given that they work by suspension and not clamping, does it work - or will it screw up the fit?
Works for me on my “relaxing chair”
4F642125-00E0-4D21-A617-9C4A6D45FC79.jpeg

That's a nice chair.

@Drewligarchy Yes, depending on head sizes and how the headphones are wore. I know that some people (including me) adjust the bass by moving the headphone backwards / forwards to alter the size of the port at the back of the ears. A pillow / couch could screw up that fit or cover the port, which will alter the bass response. These headphones act like back ported bookshelf monitors (i.e. KEF LS50), in the way that the size of the port at the back of the speakers requires a space between the speaker and the wall to achieve the best bass response.

My solution was to find a thin pillow that can be placed in the back of my head, but between the earcups so I can rest in my couch without changing the headphone fit or covering the port. I don't wear these headphones on bed.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #12,679 of 22,392
Congrats on the TCs! If you feed the TCs enough power, it sounds like you have subwoofers strapped to your head. It’s a crazy experience, and one I haven’t heard from any other headphone (the Fostex th900mk2 is close though). You may not have to use the subs at all.

I had the Hugo TT2 in the past and felt it couldn’t properly drive the TCs. It is less powerful than your amp, but not by much. If you’re unhappy with the TC sound with your amp, you may need to audition a more powerful amp to hear exactly what the TCs can do.

Have you posted a review of the WA33 Elite JPS? Really curious how it compares to the Riviera AIC10.

Thanks

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #12,681 of 22,392
Have you posted a review of the WA33 Elite JPS? Really curious how it compares to the Riviera AIC10.

Thanks
I haven't posted a review yet (I've been lazy...haha). But, I like the WA33 Elite JPS more than the Riviera AIC-10. Though, they are both excellent choices. The AIC-10 gets a little fatiqued with very, very fast passages (like grindcore), but otherwise is great. The WA33 Elite JPS has a bit more soundstage depth. Both have excellent bass. Treble might be a tad bit more "sparkly" on the WA33 Elite JPS, but it's close. The WA33 allows for more tube options, but that also makes it more expensive than the AIC-10. The WA33 can be used as a preamp, but the AIC-10 can't. That may not be a problem for some, but I use the Raal/Requiste SR1as and like to make the WA33 EE JPS a preamp.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #12,683 of 22,392
Hi all, I need your help. I use my 1266 with Hugo tt2. Tt2 is good but not that so powerful for 1266. I would like to use it dac only with a proper amp. I need your amp suggestions.
I suggest the XIAUDIO Formula S. It has great synergy with the 1266. I preferred it to the TT2 when I had it and preferred it to the internal amp on the Bartok as well.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #12,684 of 22,392
If you like tubes, my vote is for the Woo WA33. I had the WA5le previously and it was very good as well. Plenty of power and a very spacious sound. The WA33 improves on speed and detail as well as bass slam over the WA5.

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #12,686 of 22,392
Are there any reasons why these headphones wouldn't be sufficient for audio mixing and mastering work? I'll be working in binaural, for what that matters.

The sound you get changes with headphone placement on head, frame width and angle, and pad positioning. So if accuracy and consistency is what you need, unless you can get the exact same placement and fit all the time, these may not be what you're looking for.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a damn good time at work.. Then, yes. Yes x1000.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #12,687 of 22,392
Are there any reasons why these headphones wouldn't be sufficient for audio mixing and mastering work? I'll be working in binaural, for what that matters.

Headphones do not have/can't have flat response that's why.
neumann_kh310_free_field_resp_510.gif

Free Field Response of Neumann KH310's. When paired with Neumann subwoofers, this whole graph becomes flat from 17hz to 22khz.
neumann_kh310_kh810_freq_resp_510.gif

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #12,688 of 22,392
try the sr1a..most detailed HP I have ever heard.....

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #12,689 of 22,392
Agreed. You will hear what's recorded that's for sure. Good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back