The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #12,709 of 22,434
I tried to repair my ear pads which fell apart (and got disgustingly sticky) because of the runny glue. First I disassembled the pad - leather cover, foam polster, plastic ring attached to the polster (needs to be separated) and magnetic ring. I then cleaned it very thoroughly from the glue with isopropyl alcohol. It is important to remember shape and alignments.

After this, I tried to rebuild the pad using the smallest paper stapler I could find. I started with stapling the outer part of the leather liningto the plastic ring. That part was easy since I could move under the ring with the stapler. Attaching the inner leather lining was a lot trickier to staple. I had to remove and retry several times.

It took quite some time but I am quite pleased with the result so far. The height of the pad is the same as a proper pad. However, the surfaces are not perfectly aligned on top of the frame but it is better in real life than it looks.

I now need to think how to best attach the pad to the magnetic ring. I am thinking of 3M double sided tape.

IMG_2370.JPEGIMG_2373.JPEG
IMG_2371.JPEGIMG_2372.JPEG

Excellent work so far, and thanks for sharing this here. I've been thinking on doing something similar with one of my pads, as there is a section in the pad were the lambskin leader is coming out from the external ring (see image). How did you stapled the leader into the transparent plastic ring?

6.JPG

I have been researching about different types of glue https://www.libertyleathergoods.com/leather-glue/

From that article, I was thinking on using a type of glue for natural leather, with medium or strong hold properties to attach the lambskin to the transparent ring and the magnetic ring to the pad. I was thinking using the strong one in the lambskin bits I need to put back, and the medium one for the magnetic ring, in case I need to disassemble the ring in the future (With the strong ones, if one tries to pull apart leather that is bonded with with that type of glue, the leather fibers will tear before the glue separates).

I am a newbie on these leather glue types so I am learning as I write this.

Nov 11, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #12,710 of 22,434
Nov 11, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #12,711 of 22,434
I tried to repair my ear pads which fell apart (and got disgustingly sticky) because of the runny glue. First I disassembled the pad - leather cover, foam polster, plastic ring attached to the polster (needs to be separated) and magnetic ring. I then cleaned it very thoroughly from the glue with isopropyl alcohol. It is important to remember shape and alignments.

After this, I tried to rebuild the pad using the smallest paper stapler I could find. I started with stapling the outer part of the leather liningto the plastic ring. That part was easy since I could move under the ring with the stapler. Attaching the inner leather lining was a lot trickier to staple. I had to remove and retry several times.

It took quite some time but I am quite pleased with the result so far. The height of the pad is the same as a proper pad. However, the surfaces are not perfectly aligned on top of the frame but it is better in real life than it looks.

I now need to think how to best attach the pad to the magnetic ring. I am thinking of 3M double sided tape.

IMG_2370.JPEGIMG_2373.JPEG
IMG_2371.JPEGIMG_2372.JPEG
The ring is important. The pad can be replaced.

Nov 12, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #12,713 of 22,434
I used them to Borat myself figure the smell brings down the resell value.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #12,715 of 22,434
Nov 12, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #12,720 of 22,434
Excellent work so far, and thanks for sharing this here. I've been thinking on doing something similar with one of my pads, as there is a section in the pad were the lambskin leader is coming out from the external ring (see image). How did you stapled the leader into the transparent plastic ring?

Your pad looks so much better than mine, I had no other chance than to disassemble all. The stapling is only possible if you separate the foam from the plastic ring. That way, you can go with the stapler underneath.

Looking at your issue, I'd try to get a strong double sided tape (3M is good) which you can cut to the appropriate size and then insert in the gap, hopefully sealing it.

The disassembling is definitely last resort.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back