The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #12,662 of 22,297
I would like to thank you all for the advice.
I ordered the 1266 through the distributor in my country.

I am planning to use the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

It provides 2.5 watts per channel on the balanced mode.

What do you think of this Amp/DAC?
I like it because it has no flavour and does not colour the sound at all.

It has a great EQ and also it will feed the amp that powers my subwoofers. Yes 2 subwoofers! I want to use subwoofers with the 1266 :L3000:

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #12,663 of 22,297

It has a great EQ and also it will feed the amp that powers my subwoofers. Yes 2 subwoofers! I want to use subwoofers with the 1266 :L3000:
I use to have the RME... it’s a good DAC... but I think you will find that you need a little more oomph to drive your TCs.

I tried a subwoofer with my TCs...it was cool for a few minutes... but ultimately not necessary.

That being said... I am going to try a BassMe, Woojer, or Subpac to help enhance the visceral experience when using my headphones along with the A16 Realiser.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #12,664 of 22,297

Congrats on the TCs! If you feed the TCs enough power, it sounds like you have subwoofers strapped to your head. It’s a crazy experience, and one I haven’t heard from any other headphone (the Fostex th900mk2 is close though). You may not have to use the subs at all.

I had the Hugo TT2 in the past and felt it couldn’t properly drive the TCs. It is less powerful than your amp, but not by much. If you’re unhappy with the TC sound with your amp, you may need to audition a more powerful amp to hear exactly what the TCs can do.

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #12,665 of 22,297
That being said... I am going to try a BassMe, Woojer, or Subpac to help enhance the visceral experience when using my headphones along with the A16 Realiser.

I have been looking at these devices, but in order to integrate them into high-end systems, it looks like one will have to provide a second line-out signal into the bass shaker, separate from the primary line-out which goes to the main headphone amp.

Nov 8, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #12,666 of 22,297
I have been looking at these devices, but in order to integrate them into high-end systems, it looks like one will have to provide a second line-out signal into the bass shaker, separate from the primary line-out which goes to the main headphone amp.
Fortunately... the A16 Realiser has separate tactile output jacks. But you are right... most of these devices want you to plug your headphones into their control box.

Nov 8, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #12,667 of 22,297
I've found that when properly driven, the 1266TCs are just a totally different experience in soundstage, dynamics and bass. With a good integrated or pre-power, it really is the closest experience to a stereo system (out-of-the-head experience). Also, with sufficient power, slight changes in positioning (on the head, and of the pads) don't really matter as much, and instead of highlighting shortcomings in associated gear (cables, source, power), it's more of having different flavors and choosing which you prefer more. Not sure I can go back to using conventional headphone amps after this experience. It really is a must try at the very least.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #12,668 of 22,297

I have the older version of the adi-2 pro fs without the remote and because of your post, am trying it out with my TC via a balanced adapter. It certainly gets loud enough. Sounds pretty good after a couple of songs vs the Ifi ican pro that I normally listen out via the RME DAC portion. Warning...I don’t have golden ears

Nov 8, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #12,669 of 22,297
I have the older version of the adi-2 pro fs without the remote and because of your post, am trying it out with my TC via a balanced adapter. It certainly gets loud enough. Sounds pretty good after a couple of songs vs the Ifi ican pro that I normally listen out via the RME DAC portion. Warning...I don’t have golden ears
Thank you so much for testing the 1266 with the ADI Pro.
Are you using a specific/brand adaptor? (XLR female to 2 1/4 jacks)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #12,670 of 22,297
330A30B4-A344-4442-8157-935C06C7DB70.jpeg
Thank you so much for testing the 1266 with the ADI Pro.
Are you suing a specific/brand adaptor? (XLR female to 2 1/4 jacks)
Moon audio silver dragon. I am using the silver dragon as well for my TC cable
9326BE73-1666-4973-8C6A-26DA6F5FCBC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #12,671 of 22,297
Here is a stupid Abyss question:

Is it possible to lie down on a pillow, say on the couch with these headphones? I occasionally like to do that. Given that they work by suspension and not clamping, does it work - or will it screw up the fit?
I am looking for an answer too.
I don't mean to lie down completely on a bed, just to recline on a lazyboy. I just don't understand the philosophy of having a headphones that shifts its freq response and sound every time you slightly the cups .

Nov 8, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #12,672 of 22,297
I don't mean to lie down completely on a bed, just to recline on a lazyboy. I just don't understand the philosophy of having a headphones that shifts its freq response and sound every time you slightly the cups .
Works for me on my “relaxing chair”
4F642125-00E0-4D21-A617-9C4A6D45FC79.jpeg

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #12,673 of 22,297
I use my headphones the majority of time while lying in bed... Sometimes the pillow does "slightly" lessen the bass response. But it's not really a big deal.

Nov 8, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #12,674 of 22,297
I received my new headband from THXStereo. Wow... What an improvement. The ear pads are no longer sitting on top of my ears. Finally! The headband is much much more comfortable. I watched a two hour movie without any discomfort or hotspots. Bravo @Abyss Headphones Bravo!

Nov 8, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #12,675 of 22,297
I listen to my TC's while reclining all the time. No issues. I might not be laying down, but reclined pretty far back. I wouldn't worry about it. I usually adjust the headphone after I recline and I'm all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back