The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #12,466 of 22,482
After reading a lot of this thread I have come to decision that I just have to buy these headphones, even though I have never even heard them. Unfortunately I don't have enough money saved up... One day...

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #12,467 of 22,482
I got the Bakoon AMP-13R for the Susvaras that really make it sing. I'm hard-pressed to think it will outperform the HeadTrip with the TC but I'll give it a go.
the bakoon 13r is the best amp I have heard thus far for the susvara...marvelous and it is excellent with the abyss TC as well...also the small size is wonderful

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #12,469 of 22,482
what made you choosing the AR in the end if i may ask?

and: with my mcintosh i can choose between the 2,4 or 8 ohm taps. which one would you prefer technichally?

regards from germany, oliver

I always liked AR. I have used it before in my 2 channel speaker system. Very musical, lots of power, instruments sound so real. Great soundstage and depth, the leading edge and decay of the notes.

I never heard it with headphones before. I did it on a whim actually. I sold my Simaudio 600i V2 and got the AR amp. I had an AR tube preamp already.

I have the choice of 4 ohm or 8 ohm tap. Same power for both. I use the 8 ohm tap, but never listened to the 4 ohm tap. Not sure if it would sound any different.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #12,470 of 22,482
I always liked AR. I have used it before in my 2 channel speaker system. Very musical, lots of power, instruments sound so real. Great soundstage and depth, the leading edge and decay of the notes.

I never heard it with headphones before. I did it on a whim actually. I sold my Simaudio 600i V2 and got the AR amp. I had an AR tube preamp already.

I have the choice of 4 ohm or 8 ohm tap. Same power for both. I use the 8 ohm tap, but never listened to the 4 ohm tap. Not sure if it would sound any different.
thanks ken! :) and if you try the different tap one day and hear a difference - tell me 😎

cheers,

oliver

Oct 18, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #12,472 of 22,482
I’ve been a head-fi abyss thread follower for some time and decided to share my simple yet effective way to make the head band more comfortable. Just cut out some memory foam the shape of the band and attach with double stick tape on the bottom. It will completely change the ergonomics.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #12,473 of 22,482
I’ve been a head-fi abyss thread follower for some time and decided to share my simple yet effective way to make the head band more comfortable. Just cut out some memory foam the shape of the band and attach with double stick tape on the bottom. It will completely change the ergonomics.

Could you please share a picture?

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #12,474 of 22,482

I was actually considering taking mine to leather shop to open up the band, insert the memory foam, and then stitch it back together. Not that these are the most aesthetically pleasing headphones to begin with, but it would be relatively inexpensive way of keeping the factory look.

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #12,475 of 22,482
In this review Joshua said at timecode 10:35 that he didn't like the vocals that much, they seemed unnatural according to him.
I have to ask you guys what do you think about this issue? Is there a problem or not?

I'm surprised he even called this video a "Review."
He says here himself that he is using "unfamiliar equipment with unfamiliar headphones in a strange place."

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #12,476 of 22,482
In this review Joshua said at timecode 10:35 that he didn't like the vocals that much, they seemed unnatural according to him.
I have to ask you guys what do you think about this issue? Is there a problem or not?

I don't feel the vocals are unnatural. Maybe slightly recessed, but otherwise just fine. The TC is the least V shaped in my opinion. The CC had some issues with the mid-range. I felt they were to thin for lack of a better description. The TC pretty much fixed that issue. They may not be my favorite for vocals(the LCD-4 is)but they are no slouch either.

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #12,477 of 22,482
I really don't find my self agreeing with the reviews of Joshua. His tastes are obviously not aligned with mine. I find many reviewers get too hung up on price. They look at the price and it colors everything they hear. But at this level in our hobby, Value is a relative term. The absolute best ain't cheap.

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #12,478 of 22,482
Please show us a picture

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #12,479 of 22,482
Will look much better with black memory foam. Mine is blue.
CEC19EF8-6FD1-4CA6-87E0-BF05FEF1FC8D.jpeg
But this works really well for me. Just stuck on with 3m double tape.

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #12,480 of 22,482
There really are no great solutions if you need the headphones raised, since there is no way to adjust the headband vertically. If they fit as-is, great. If they don't, you have to get creative. I do hope they address in the future, to me it's a pretty big issue with the current design. I had suggested at one point that instead of having the O-ring only able to loop around from bottom to top, maybe they could modify it so it could also loop from top to bottom. That would at least give two settings and be way more universally useful.

I use two pads because I have them, but this solution obviously works with one as well. Instead of looping the O-ring around, I wedge it into the bottom of the U piece and hold it there with a strong zip tie as shown. This raises the headphone to the perfect height for me. I've been doing it this way since I've owned them, works great.

Edit: this is also way easier on the O rings, since they have far less tension than looping around.

PXL_20201019_021243248.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back