The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #12,481 of 22,482
In this review Joshua said at timecode 10:35 that he didn't like the vocals that much, they seemed unnatural according to him.
I have to ask you guys what do you think about this issue? Is there a problem or not?

I think there is not a problem with TC's, although I haven't listen to them.

I bought my phi CC from a guy that had both the CC and the TC. He has TOLT DACs and amps.

He preferred the vocal presentation in CC's better than in TC, however he said his TC has more raw performance, and that he preferred them over the CC for large symphonies.

He also said people with mid-fi sources / amplifiers / cables would need higher performance components to note or even enjoy the difference.

The experience of another person with both the CC and the TC confirmed that last point: He said that he couldn't put his TC and relax in the music as he do with his CC, and he put the TC on sale but then ended up changing his mind and started looking for better components.

I believe people in this forum that says TC are a step (or ten) ahead of CC, but that doesn't mean that TC would be always the preferred headphone.

Note: I just watched Joshua video after I wrote the lines above, and I see that the first line comment from the person I got the CC from are quite aligned to Joshua opinion.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #12,482 of 22,482
I just watched the video. Not sure what he means at around 4:30 when he says you need to readjust the headphone every time you use them? We all know that's false, unless you collapse the headphone when not in use.

I will say the lighting and the closeup shots are pretty cool. Stuff like this is nice:
1603078333894.png

Also cool that he filmed at Abyss. Would love to see their factory/warehouse/HQ. That would be an interesting video.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #12,484 of 22,482
In this review Joshua said at timecode 10:35 that he didn't like the vocals that much, they seemed unnatural according to him.
I have to ask you guys what do you think about this issue? Is there a problem or not?

What you put in you get out. The TC is revealing and as you up your level of equipment, and you be rewarded. I have used my TC's with a variety of high end DAC's and amps, and get a different presentation depending on the equipment. They all sound good, but different.

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #12,485 of 22,482
I can confirm that in my Phi CC midrange is litte dry compared to my Final D8000, so vocal can sound little lifeless.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #12,486 of 22,482
A footage from the ‘50s of a legendary violinist playing one of the most popular romantic concertos, a vocal jazz club soirée recording, a collection of tracks for documentaries from an obscure Italian avant-garde composer: how the AB-1266 makes experiencing such diverse music so glorious?

Of course, it does it in many ways, but one key point here is – for me – the spectacular handling of the space where the music is played in. And I mean both the physical venue space / environment, and the perceptive space around our ears where the music is rendered.

heifetz.png

Heifetz at his best, a miracle 1957 recording from RCA Victor’s super-talented Lewis Layton.

The main violin and the whole string section tone and texture are on the dark / smooth side, while retaining good clarity and detail. Not as clean-ical and transparent as the most technically accurate modern recordings, but it draws you in with its organic consistency.

The soundstage here is extremely wide, yet very cohesive and atmospheric. Through the AB-1266, the positioning, layering, scale of instruments is outstanding, and the dynamics is exceptional.

It triggers some of the physical and emotional reactions I recall from real concert hall listening in a rather magical way.

companion.png

In Companion, the feeling of the live recording in a club venue is very obvious (even before hearing people clapping their hands LOL) in terms of size, decay characteristics and weight / buoyancy of the notes, although Patricia vocals are relatively forward as from a typical close-mike capture.

Double bass in the first two tracks is deep, well-articulated and harmonically very rich, yet not overwhelming, and Barber’s voice is clear and sensuous, if just a touch on the hot side on some ‘s’ or ‘t’.

Also in this recording, the out-of-your-head experience assured by the AB-1266 makes the trick of transporting me at the event, where all the players are projected in a spacious 3D scene as I would expect them in a typical band arrangement in front of me.

biologia.png

This is an album from 1976, of a much respected, little known, Italian composer, a collection of music for naturalistic documentaries.

Through the Abyss, this minimalistic, serial music breathes in a vast and deep soundscape, and the immersive effect is captivating since the first notes. The microdetails are easily resolved and presented in all their added value as a natural and essential ingredient of the whole musical message.

Again, the scale of the musical environment is enormous and – this time – enveloping, with plenty of air all around you.

I am not sure if it is just a fixation I have, but I feel that space rendering, together with scale and dynamics, in hifi is at least as important as tone and timbre accuracy, or frequency extension, and the AB-1266 delivers in spades!

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #12,487 of 22,482
you are listening to some glorious music well recorded with lots of space and dynamics

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #12,488 of 22,482
The biologa animal e vegetale album was unlike anything I've ever heard before. Amazing! Thanks for sharing that!

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #12,490 of 22,482
Anybody ever tried the 1266TC with the McIntosh MHA100/150/MXA70? I have spent the past two months or so comparing the MHA with the XI Formula S/Powerman combo, and to my ears the 1266TC sound better with the McIntosh!
I say go with what sounds good to your ears. The XI Formula S/Powerman combo is not the only amp that the TC sound good on.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #12,491 of 22,482
Anybody ever tried the 1266TC with the McIntosh MHA100/150/MXA70? I have spent the past two months or so comparing the MHA with the XI Formula S/Powerman combo, and to my ears the 1266TC sound better with the McIntosh!
Interesting. Is that out of the MHA100 speaker taps or the headphone output? Were you using the McIntosh DAC?

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #12,492 of 22,482
So I tried to cancel my order for the new headband, but they did not see my email in time and the headband just arrived. Just as I feared based on your comments, it is waaaaay too tight. I am not hanging it by the headband, so it will not extend much, if at all. Apart from this, it does feel very pretty comfortable, the padding I mean. And it looks better than my ZMF pilot pad mod. So I guess I'll be shopping for O rings as well..

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #12,493 of 22,482
So I tried to cancel my order for the new headband, but they did not see my email in time and the headband just arrived. Just as I feared based on your comments, it is waaaaay too tight. I am not hanging it by the headband, so it will not extend much, if at all. Apart from this, it does feel very pretty comfortable, the padding I mean. And it looks better than my ZMF pilot pad mod. So I guess I'll be shopping for O rings as well..
Selfishly... I'm glad to hear this. Maybe when I get mine... My ear pads will no longer rest on my ears.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #12,494 of 22,482
Selfishly... I'm glad to hear this. Maybe when I get mine... My ear pads will no longer rest on my ears.
It will be higher probably, but also more narrow, i.e. you won't be able to extend it out as far as you may be used to. I'm repeating myself: they should provide multiple sizes, because there is no way that one size will be OK for everyone. And going by the comments I have read, chances are that the current (very tight) version will not be OK for most.

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #12,495 of 22,482
the abyss team ought to offer different sizes of the o rings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back