The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #9,511 of 22,458
Tested this pairing for an hour. It is very good with gain set at low on SMSL SP200. I never thought it could drive my Abyss Phi CC but it works. Source was Kann Cube with mini xlr out to xlr input. For reference my main rig is Benchmark hpa4 and X1 Audio Formula S with Abyss Phi TC. The SP200 is probably the cheapest amp that can be used with Abyss Phi CC n TC .
Please read Ken's reply.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #9,515 of 22,458
Hi everyone, I have benefited a great deal from reading your postings. After quite a bit of time saving up and after several auditions, I decided to purchase the 1266 TC headphones. As excited as I'm feeling right now, I'm also confronted with the daunting task of spending money on a new amp and a new DAC (this endeavor will elevate me several atmosphere above what I currently have with my Grado setup and nothing I own will be able to even drive the Abyss). Any recommends would be greatly appreciated. Aside from your input on how the components sound, I have created a list of demands: 1. I'd prefer the solid state over tube for the amp; 2. I'd like a stand alone amp and stand alone DAC; 3. As much as I'd like to support the smaller manufactures, I'd prefer a reputable house (from the US, Germany, Japan) that's been around for a while; 4. Lastly, and this is more of a sentiment than a firm position, I'd like for the components to be balanced. I've budgeted $2,000-3,000 for the amp and $1,600 to 2,000 for the DAC, and on the shortlist I currently have the Benchmark HPA4 and Luxman P-750u, and the Benchmark DAC3 and the Chord Qutest. Thank you for the attention you have given my post.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #9,516 of 22,458
I’ll let other people that may have more knowledge in helping picking the components for you, I will say to buy used. Much more value for your money and allows you to buy components more expensive than what you want to pay.

Based on your budget for the two components, you should be able to compliment your Abyss very well.

Also, don’t get the Qutest. When I auditioned the TC, this is what they had and it was lousy. Also it is single ended output and not balanced.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #9,517 of 22,458
Hi everyone, I have benefited a great deal from reading your postings. After quite a bit of time saving up and after several auditions, I decided to purchase the 1266 TC headphones. As excited as I'm feeling right now, I'm also confronted with the daunting task of spending money on a new amp and a new DAC (this endeavor will elevate me several atmosphere above what I currently have with my Grado setup and nothing I own will be able to even drive the Abyss). Any recommends would be greatly appreciated. Aside from your input on how the components sound, I have created a list of demands: 1. I'd prefer the solid state over tube for the amp; 2. I'd like a stand alone amp and stand alone DAC; 3. As much as I'd like to support the smaller manufactures, I'd prefer a reputable house (from the US, Germany, Japan) that's been around for a while; 4. Lastly, and this is more of a sentiment than a firm position, I'd like for the components to be balanced. I've budgeted $2,000-3,000 for the amp and $1,600 to 2,000 for the DAC, and on the shortlist I currently have the Benchmark HPA4 and Luxman P-750u, and the Benchmark DAC3 and the Chord Qutest. Thank you for the attention you have given my post.

Welcome to the club...

Are you opposed to buying used equipment? There are great deals to be had on summit-fi gear for pennies on the dollar... All my gear was purchased as a demo or second hand... Saving thousands of dollars! You can even find used gear with remaining factory warranties.

There are great things to check out in the For Sale / Trade section of this forum.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #9,518 of 22,458
Welcome to the club...

Are you opposed to buying used equipment? There are great deals to be had on summit-fi gear for pennies on the dollar... All my gear was purchased as a demo or second hand... Saving thousands of dollars! You can even find used gear with remaining factory warranties.

There are great things to check out in the For Sale / Trade section of this forum.

Also check out Audiogon and USA Audiomart as well.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9,520 of 22,458

I would recommend the Chord TT2. I know that you are looking at separates but the dac in the TT2 is incredible and they have enough power to drive the Abyss well. Then you can add an mscaler later. They are currently msrp of $5,700 but we worth it imo.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #9,521 of 22,458
I would recommend the Chord TT2. I know that you are looking at separates but the dac in the TT2 is incredible and they have enough power to drive the Abyss well. Then you can add an mscaler later. They are currently msrp of $5,700 but we worth it imo.

There’s a used for sale from The Music Room for $4350.00. However with that said, we should find out what sounds signature he likes. For me personally I dislike any of offerings from Chord. He may or may not like that sound.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #9,522 of 22,458
There’s a used for sale from The Music Room for $4350.00. However with that said, we should find out what sounds signature he likes. For me personally I dislike any of offerings from Chord. He may or may not like that sound.

Agreed the one thing with the tt2 and other chord dacs is the transparency that they offer. I used to have a metrum onyx and paired it with a liquid platinum and that combo was great too. I use the tt2 in my 2 channel setup as well and there I really preferred it over the onyx. Have you tried the chord dacs with the mscaler? It really brings them to another level.

What did you not like with the qutest? The TT2 is fuller sounding imo. Also Chord gear is based on single ended design. Balanced really has no sonic benefit with their gear you just get a higher output voltage from them. The TT2 and Dave both have balanced outs if you need them.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #9,523 of 22,458

I'd second this. Until very recently I was using this combo. A great pairing.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #9,524 of 22,458
I listened the TT and the Hugo 2 and found them to clinical and analytical and thin sounding.

I wouldn’t even consider the Cutest as even midfi.

That is an untrue statement regarding a balanced design. Having an amplifier that is truly balanced from input to output is absolutely has sonic benefits. Do you think that hi end speaker amplifier companies make amps with this design for no sonic benefits, and just so it has higher voltage output?

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #9,525 of 22,458
Do you think that hi end speaker amplifier companies make amps with this design for no sonic benefits, and just so it has higher voltage output?

Most of them don't even have truly balanced construction, so yes, it is pretty much a tick box exercise in many cases. XLR outputs for this very reason could be actually even inferior to a high-quality SE path/outputs, they do look 'professional' dough and might have a real advantage if implemented properly. I would say recording studios tend to benefit from XLR connections, especially if the cables run for hundreds of metres, then any external noise getting to the signal path is much lower compared to the SE connection. In-home conditions it won't matter much if at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back