The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #9,481 of 22,434
On the question of aftermarket headphone cables, I'm currently using these adapters from affinitycables eBay store so as to try out my pre-existing Utopia cables with the TC.

I've never gotten the sense in using these currently or in the past that the affinitycables adapters affect transparency in a noticeable way (though of course that's been hard to verify). They have, however, gone up in price, which make them harder to justify now IMO.

Anyway, I'm preferring the now-discontinued Wireworld Nano Platinum Eclipse cable (I hate that name) for the Utopia, connected via adapter to the TC, over the stock Abyss cable. The stock cable gives me a shade too much in the upper-mids part of the spectrum, which the WW cable rectifies. The WW cable also goes deeper into the bass. None of this is night-and-day, though. Both are equally dynamic. If I have the opportunity, I may try and source a dedicated WW cable expressly terminated for the Abyss.

The other Utopia cable I have, a custom build made of Neotech 23AWG solid core silver, is smoother sounding and also a touch warmer than the stock cable (subjectively at least), but also probably less dynamic, so is not as interesting with the TC based on my preferences.

Note, too, that while both of these cables are silver, IMO neither results in a brighter tonality compared to stock, which is in any case very "neutral" (non-warm) in color.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #9,482 of 22,434
Welcome I actually prefer the AB-1266 TC over the stax sr009s even driven by the blue Hawaii se. What are you using to drive the abyss? Also from my experience I prefer the stock cable over aftermarket offerings. JPS makes some great cables.

I've always felt Blue Hawaii SE truly only synergizes well with Omega II..
That and the fact other 'stat amps that would go well with SR009 (T2, etc) are unobtanium and/or extremely expensive has brought me to my current solution of Elekit 300B SET/transformer. Transformer shows its limits when driving difficult O2 but not so much when driving SR009. The fact Elekit sounds extremely dynamic and detailed compared to the usual SET helps elicit goosebumps. Elekit's headphone jack is also reported to synergize well with Abyss.

BTW. I am so far very impressed with how well the $260 SMSL SP200 THX amp is driving the Abyss. Quite shocking, actually..

1208191031_HDR by drjlo2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #9,483 of 22,434
Welcome I actually prefer the AB-1266 TC over the stax sr009s even driven by the blue Hawaii se. What are you using to drive the abyss? Also from my experience I prefer the stock cable over aftermarket offerings. JPS makes some great cables.
Hi,
U must be an exception with regards to stock cable, most I know have upgraded including me. I personally use the Norne audio S3 cables which I finf sound fanatstic on my setup. I have always wanted to try out the Prion 4 cables though. Anyways, enjoy the music sir.

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #9,485 of 22,434
U must be an exception with regards to stock cable, most I know have upgraded including me.

I haven't tried any other cables than stock, however, I'm not really compelled to either. I would think changing cables would be highly subjective and more for tailoring to individual tastes vs a universally "better" cable. The stock cable is excellent with respect to most things audiophiles would consider high-fidelity, including soundstage. It also strikes me as very neutral. IMHO

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #9,486 of 22,434
I'm using the Norne S3 cable as well. Very nice sounding cable, and looks the part as well. I didn't have any particular complaints with the stock cables sound. But ergonomically it was terrible.

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #9,488 of 22,434
I haven't tried any other cables than stock, however, I'm not really compelled to either. I would think changing cables would be highly subjective and more for tailoring to individual tastes vs a universally "better" cable. The stock cable is excellent with respect to most things audiophiles would consider high-fidelity, including soundstage. It also strikes me as very neutral. IMHO
You are lucky in the sense that u have not tried other cables. LOL. Personally I find the OG cable to be a tad harsh and the mids are not as sweet as I would like them to be, but that's just me. Enjoy the music.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #9,489 of 22,434
^ The mids took the longest to get right for me too. Regardless of what I tried, they always sounded a little thin to me, a bit cold and bitey. With such high resolution and extension, I was really craving more warmth and fullness there. It finally took a tube amp to do that. I don't think the cable is particularly warm as well, so if you're looking for a bit warmth you have to work at it. But it's such a nice balance if you find something that checks all the boxes

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #9,490 of 22,434
I'm using the Norne S3 cable as well. Very nice sounding cable, and looks the part as well. I didn't have any particular complaints with the stock cables sound. But ergonomically it was terrible.

You are lucky in the sense that u have not tried other cables. LOL. Personally I find the OG cable to be a tad harsh and the mids are not as sweet as I would like them to be, but that's just me. Enjoy the music.

It's interesting that people went with all-silver Norne S3 cable with the Abyss. I was personally looking at Norne silver-copper Einvaldi Reference, which are similar in price. Anyone compare them?
So far I'm getting the sense that the stock cable does certain things extremely well, e.g. ironfisted control over frequency ranges and resolution, fantastic bass solidity and slam, sense of dead-neutrality.
While audiophile-quality recordings and even pop/rock albums of recent vintage sound great, I agree that many (most?) non-audiophile recordings and older pop/rock albums can sound "a tad harsh and the mids are not as sweet." What cable retains ALL the strengths of stock cable while slightly transforming the smidge of unforgiveness/bite into bit more breathy wetness?

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #9,491 of 22,434
It's interesting that people went with all-silver Norne S3 cable with the Abyss. I was personally looking at Norne silver-copper Einvaldi Reference, which are similar in price. Anyone compare them?
So far I'm getting the sense that the stock cable does certain things extremely well, e.g. ironfisted control over frequency ranges and resolution, fantastic bass solidity and slam, sense of dead-neutrality.
While audiophile-quality recordings and even pop/rock albums of recent vintage sound great, I agree that many (most?) non-audiophile recordings and older pop/rock albums can sound "a tad harsh and the mids are not as sweet." What cable retains ALL the strengths of stock cable while slightly transforming the smidge of unforgiveness/bite into bit more breathy wetness?

Silver + copper may be a good idea.. I contemplated the lazuli ultra. Anyone here tried it with the 1266? I tried the all copper lazuli reference and preferred the stock cable to it.

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #9,492 of 22,434
Silver + copper may be a good idea.. I contemplated the lazuli ultra. Anyone here tried it with the 1266? I tried the all copper lazuli reference and preferred the stock cable to it.

I’m completely opposite. I much prefer the Lazuli Reference to the stock cable. I find the stock cable sounds a bit thin and flat in comparison. Go figure. The Superconductor is another story altogether.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #9,493 of 22,434
On another note I took delivery of a Chord Dave a couple of days ago. I’ve spent a few hours today comparing my TCs direct into the Dave vs Hifiman HE adapter and speaker amp (Teddy Pardo ST60). Much to my surprise I prefer direct. Much more transparent. More surprising to me is that the Dave seems to be able to comfortably drive the TCs to the levels I like to listen at (I usually listen to my 2 channel at +/- 85dB). I wasn’t expecting this. Upon checking further the TC efficiency is stated as 88db/mW which isn’t horribly low. The original 1266 was 85db/mW which is quite a bit lower and may explain the chatter about 1266s needing tons of power.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #9,494 of 22,434
I am so far very impressed with how well the $260 SMSL SP200 THX amp is driving the Abyss. Quite shocking, actually..

Tested this pairing for an hour. It is very good with gain set at low on SMSL SP200. I never thought it could drive my Abyss Phi CC but it works. Source was Kann Cube with mini xlr out to xlr input. For reference my main rig is Benchmark hpa4 and X1 Audio Formula S with Abyss Phi TC. The SP200 is probably the cheapest amp that can be used with Abyss Phi CC n TC .

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #9,495 of 22,434
On another note I took delivery of a Chord Dave a couple of days ago. I’ve spent a few hours today comparing my TCs direct into the Dave vs Hifiman HE adapter and speaker amp (Teddy Pardo ST60). Much to my surprise I prefer direct. Much more transparent. More surprising to me is that the Dave seems to be able to comfortably drive the TCs to the levels I like to listen at (I usually listen to my 2 channel at +/- 85dB). I wasn’t expecting this. Upon checking further the TC efficiency is stated as 88db/mW which isn’t horribly low. The original 1266 was 85db/mW which is quite a bit lower and may explain the chatter about 1266s needing tons of power.

i assume your know that an amp playing headphones loud didn’t mean it is powering it efficiently or to the headphones sonic potential.

Pretty much any amp can play something loud, but that doesn’t mean it sounds as good as playing it with an amp that’s really up to the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back