The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #871 of 22,434
Hi All

I have own both headphone Stax Sr 009 and Abyss 1266

These two are excellent headphones

Abyss 1266 is combination from Stax Sr 009 and LCD 3

If you like smoothness and very clean sounding headphone than Stax is your choice

If you like like the detail separation and clarity from Stax Sr 009 with very good bass and fast bass speed from LCD 3, more energy than Abyss 1266 is the right choice for you

Abyss 1266 has fuller sound than Stax Sr 009

Than you know which ones Is the best in the world

IMO

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #872 of 22,434
You have a short memory but you said on the french site HCFR the SR 009 was the best Headphone in the world, OK,  no problem. I am the owner of Abyss and SR 009, I love these two Headphone, but I just have a preference for Abyss, apparmment it makes you sick !

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #873 of 22,434
"PS : I asked Pierre Paya to lend me his Abyss for comparative listening with my Stax 009 used live on the mk2 RKV;  I received from him an flat refusal  ..."

Everything made normal you spoke about pierre as a swindler.

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #874 of 22,434
Objectively speaking the Stax 009 is much better than the Abyss. 
Subjectively speaking, the opinions are divided. 
The ergonomics of the Abyss (besides aesthetics) is disastrous (Nb: I doubt that my wife and my son can wear it one day, just their heads are too small and the Abyss is not height adjustable, which to me is unacceptable).
When my health?, She's fine. 
I'm a doctor!

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #876 of 22,434
Originally Posted by superfred21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am the owner of Abyss and SR 009, I love these two Headphone, but I just have a preference for Abyss ....

Hello superfred21,

What amp do you use with your Abyss ?
What tubes do you use with your Electra finally (for the 009) ?

Otherwise, I regret that Pierre had denied me the loan of his Abyss, so, I do not have the opportunity to compare, myself, his Abyss with my 009 on my RKV mk2 amp.

Concerning the rendering of 009 and what it is able to give us , I take the testimony of a doctor friend who discovered it 009 headphones and that I brought to ajr during New Year's Greetings :

" ... This doctor friend, a very close friend of the same age as mine wanted to hear my headphone system (Stax 009 + live RKV amp ) ; the played music was the second movement of the Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor Rachmaninoff . I asked him if the sound seemed good (answer yes) and I asked him if the sound level seemed sufficient (with the Wee transformers by-passed) (answer yes) ; 12 minutes later, at the end of the second movement , my friend Bertrand was in tears , too emotional for him for this musical work , which reminded him too old (and good) memories , among others, that of making him known and loved classical music. "

What does it ask more for a headphone ?

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #877 of 22,434
A quote from Daniel von Recklinghausen, a great audio engineer who used his ears and has an open mind - 

"if it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad; if it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing"

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #878 of 22,434
  A quote from Daniel von Recklinghausen, a great audio engineer who used his ears and has an open mind - 

"if it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad; if it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong thing"

Everyone doesn't have the expertise of a renowned sound engineer's ear to appreciate its just value the "sounds good".
The "Sounds good" for ordinary people is so subjective and easily influenced that it is sometimes useful to refer also to the measures, more objective If they are made under severe (unbiased) and reproducible conditions.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #879 of 22,434
Everyone doesn't have the expertise of a renowned sound engineer's ear to appreciate its just value the "sounds good".

The "Sounds good" for ordinary people is so subjective and easily influenced that it is sometimes useful to refer also to the measures, more objective If they are made under severe (unbiased) and reproducible conditions.
I think you're missing the humour in this mate :).

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #880 of 22,434
The senses can be deceptive and measures may be biased. With this, do your best to see clearly in Hi-Fi. 
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #882 of 22,434

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. or ear.

Having said that, the Abyss is still one ugly mother. 
wink.gif

Although I don't really see why there are so many people furiously arguing against the Abyss. Sure it has plenty of flaws, but that doesn't stop it from sounding like one of the best pairs of headphones that I have ever heard.

The senses can be deceptive and measurements may be biased. With this, do your best to see clearly in Hi-Fi. 
wink.gif

Does this matter at all? Subjectivity is all that matters in head-fi.

If I believe my headphones sound better than yours, then at least to me it does. That's not to say that it is impossible for me to hear a new pair of headphones and declare them to sound better than my current ones. That's just normal ignorance. It just means that I could hear a so called "objectively better" pair of headphones and still believe them to sound worse.

What I feel people often don't realise is that sound, like the rest of the senses are uniquely experienced and will always be subjective. I say let your senses be deceived and biased! So long as you faithfully enjoy the music and don't go shoving it down other people's throats, you're already in sonic bliss. 

Thus, there is no perfect pair of headphones, only perfect pairs of headphones.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #883 of 22,434

If I believe my headphones sound better than yours, then at least to me it does. That's not to say that it is impossible for me to hear a new pair of headphones and declare them to sound better than my current ones. That's just normal ignorance. It just means that I could hear a so called "objectively better" pair of headphones and still believe them to sound worse.

What I feel people often don't realise is that sound, like the rest of the senses are uniquely experienced and will always be subjective. I say let your senses be deceived and biased! So long as you faithfully enjoy the music and don't go shoving it down other people's throats, you're already in sonic bliss. 

Finally... FINALLY !!!

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #884 of 22,434

Having said that, the Abyss is still one ugly mother. 
wink.gif

Although I don't really see why there are so many people furiously arguing against the Abyss. Sure it has plenty of flaws, but that doesn't stop it from sounding like one of the best pairs of headphones that I have ever heard.

+1
I love your gif customcoco !!

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #885 of 22,434

Users who are viewing this thread

Back