The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #7,276 of 22,424
For those of you considering a Dave... the DAVE can handle any headphone thrown at it... I own the WA33 and the blu2 , Dave etc... and while sometimes I prefer the power of a monster amp... there are times I like the refinement of the Dave and nothing compares to it... It can drive any headphone on the market.. including the Phi's...

To each his own, but the synergy of Chord DAC's amps and the 1266 phi's always felt off for me. A little too clinical and not enough refinement of the midrange.

What tubes are on your WA33? I've found that a good set of tubes can really make woo amps sing with the 1266 phi.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #7,277 of 22,424
For those of you considering a Dave... the DAVE can handle any headphone thrown at it... I own the WA33 and the blu2 , Dave etc... and while sometimes I prefer the power of a monster amp... there are times I like the refinement of the Dave and nothing compares to it... It can drive any headphone on the market.. including the Phi's...

I agree the DAve can drive the Phi although for me there are certain recordings that require my violectric 281 with the Phi and Dave....the Susvara on the other hand requires an amp because the Dave as good as it is cannot properly drive the Susvara.....I go back and forth between using the 281 and not using it with the Phi

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #7,278 of 22,424
To each his own, but the synergy of Chord DAC's amps and the 1266 phi's always felt off for me. A little too clinical and not enough refinement of the midrange.

What tubes are on your WA33? I've found that a good set of tubes can really make woo amps sing with the 1266 phi.

I have the stock tubes I have not rolled yet; what I currently get from the tubes is just fine.... hmm strange... the Chord products are all about detail and refinement... but I would say for planars ; tube amps are best... the he1000's I have sound good on the Dave ; definitely acceptable ; but sound terrific on the WA33...

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #7,279 of 22,424

I don't use an amp with my M-DAVE. I felt the same way you did BTW. In particular, I found the midrange to be too distant and clinical. It simply didn't engage me. Instead of selling or getting an external amp, I decided to try a different HP cable. I bought a Lazuli Reference and that improved things but not enough.

I then bought the JPS Superconductor HP cable and it literally transformed the Abyss. Just an incredible cable! It's bloody expensive but it negated the need to buy an amp and importantly, avoid messing with DAVE's transparency by putting an amp into the chain.

Maybe an external amp would help beyond the midrange problem I solved, I am not sure, but I can say that the Superconductor / Abyss combo is magical, particularly for vocals...

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #7,280 of 22,424
I don't use an amp with my M-DAVE. I felt the same way you did BTW. In particular, I found the midrange to be too distant and clinical. It simply didn't engage me. Instead of selling or getting an external amp, I decided to try a different HP cable. I bought a Lazuli Reference and that improved things but not enough.

I then bought the JPS Superconductor HP cable and it literally transformed the Abyss. Just an incredible cable! It's bloody expensive but it negated the need to buy an amp and importantly, avoid messing with DAVE's transparency by putting an amp into the chain.

Maybe an external amp would help beyond the midrange problem I solved, I am not sure, but I can say that the Superconductor / Abyss combo is magical, particularly for vocals...

A cable definitely improves things... however I would say that it just can't compete with a seperate amp... It all depends on what you can afford... I was ok with the Dave/ blu2 combo for a long time till I heard the headphones an amp. It blew me away...

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #7,283 of 22,424
The big appeal of the Hugo TT2 is that it's a Chord DAC with more than enough power and a design based around super capacitors, which should provide plenty of current reserves when needed. I think it will be perfect for harder to drive planars like the Abyss and Susvara. You'll get the transparency and resolution their DACs are known for with plenty of clean power behind it.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #7,284 of 22,424
I would just like to comment on the recent mention on the power requirements of the Abyss 1266 Phi.

I have been doing all my critical listening on a Woo Audio WA5 2nd gen and it does more than great on the Abyss Phi. It really dampens the peak in highs all the while keeping it detailed and extended. Plenty of power for the HE6 but kind of on the darker side if you ask me, but I feel it suits the Abyss just right. I mean, it was the choice of amps they used to showcase the Abyss before the WA33 came out. It can't be that bad, right? To me, it's my endgame amp and haven't been caught on the "For Sale" forums in quite some time.

I did, however, recently purchase a small solid state amp to use as a semi portable unit for when I go out of town for work. I chose the Massdrop X THX AAA 789. Its rated at 6watts @ 32ohms if I remember correctly and has plenty of power to make your ears bleed. Not to mention the Massdrop X THX AAA 789 only cost $350!!!! If you're in the market for a solid state amp and dont want to spend much..... hell, if you're looking for something to complement your endgame setup.... the Massdrop X THX AAA 789 will give you a run for your money. It sounds good with ever headphone I listen to and it really makes the Abyss Phi shine and does wonders for the HD800 and the new HD820!
I'm very tempted to grab one considering the technology but many users reported it as too bright sounding. What do you think?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #7,285 of 22,424

Can you give some more details how the Superconductor changes the sound? And what do you find lacking on the stock cable?

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #7,286 of 22,424
I have the stock tubes I have not rolled yet; what I currently get from the tubes is just fine.... hmm strange... the Chord products are all about detail and refinement... but I would say for planars ; tube amps are best... the he1000's I have sound good on the Dave ; definitely acceptable ; but sound terrific on the WA33...

The Woo's take very well to tube rolling so that's what I would try with the WA33, since the stock tubes really don't do them justice. I haven't owned the WA33 but this is certainly my experience with the WA5 and WA22. The stock tubes are okay, but good upgrade tubes make a lot of difference.

The two best amps I've used with the 1266 phi's are the Egoista 845 and the Nagra Classic INT which is a Class AB solid state. I ended up with the INT since it plays better with my other pair of cans. Some of it depends on personal tastes but you can't go wrong with either solid state or tube amps at the top end.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #7,287 of 22,424
The Woo's take very well to tube rolling so that's what I would try with the WA33, since the stock tubes really don't do them justice. I haven't owned the WA33 but this is certainly my experience with the WA5 and WA22. The stock tubes are okay, but good upgrade tubes make a lot of difference.

Agreed

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #7,288 of 22,424
For the amplifier, I just tried the pair of 1266 phi cc + XiAudio’s Formula S for a straight week. Before that, I heard the combination of 1266 phi + Wa5. I have to say I love the XiAudio combination. It’s clear and precise. Superb bass. Great soundstage and chords are always very balanced. It’s a China brand though, but I understand that Abyss is using it as some kind of official set for their exhibits. Not sure the accessibility of Formula S outside of China, it’s extraordinary.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #7,290 of 22,424
Can you give some more details how the Superconductor changes the sound? And what do you find lacking on the stock cable?

I think Jay at Audiobcon sums up the answer to your question very well and I agree with him:

"The Superconductor cable nearly transforms the Abyss into a different headphone. The midrange and vocals on the Superconductor cable is without a doubt sweeter and more forward than the stock. A very detailed, deliciously textured, and definitely warmer cable. I love how it adds that warm-bodied sound to vocals which gives it that human characteristic. This reason alone makes the cables a worthy upgrade. The Superconductor adds volume and weight to pianos and guitar plucks and just has more warm, cozy, yummy, low-end textures. You hear more of the music naturally diffusing into the space. There’s just more meat to the bones. Compared to the Superconductor cable, the stock cables don’t have that extra body required to be convincing and natural. Instruments seem to have more presence and the soundstage is expanded in all directions. The JPS Superconductor HP cable just chocolate coats the entire range with this addictive harmonic richness"

Full review here

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back