The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #7,261 of 22,424
Why not get a separate headphone amp? For power hungry planars like Abyss sufficient power makes a world of difference, I doubt a different DAC with an okay amp section can improve that much.
I used to have a V281 and preferred the clarity I got out of the Hugo 2. The TT 2's amp section is no slouch, I think that will be the best solution for me.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #7,262 of 22,424
Why not get a separate headphone amp? For power hungry planars like Abyss sufficient power makes a world of difference, I doubt a different DAC with an okay amp section can improve that much.

The Hugo TT2 does 18w into 8ohms from the rear if you use an adapter. Definitely enough power for the Abyss.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #7,263 of 22,424
The Hugo TT2 does 18w into 8ohms from the rear if you use an adapter. Definitely enough power for the Abyss.
The front single-ended pumps out 7w@8ohm, which will probably be more than enough as well. But, I'll definitely try both!

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #7,264 of 22,424

I've tried thew 1266 phi's with the Dave and TT2, and none of the Chord headphone outputs felt strong enough for the 1266 phi.

IMO the best dollar value option for the 1266 phi's is probably to simply run them on an integrate tube or solid state amp. The absolute best headphone amp I've tried the 1266 phi's with is the egoista 845, and the solistino version (nearly identical in every aspect except having speaker taps instead of headphone out) can regularly be found for under $4,500.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #7,265 of 22,424
I've tried thew 1266 phi's with the Dave and TT2, and none of the Chord headphone outputs felt strong enough for the 1266 phi.

IMO the best dollar value option for the 1266 phi's is probably to simply run them on an integrate tube or solid state amp. The absolute best headphone amp I've tried the 1266 phi's with is the egoista 845, and the solistino version (nearly identical in every aspect except having speaker taps instead of headphone out) can regularly be found for under $4,500.
You sure the Solistino is only a headphone jack away from the 845? I doubt any manufacturer would raise their MSRP threefold just by adding a headphone jack.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #7,266 of 22,424
The front single-ended pumps out 7w@8ohm, which will probably be more than enough as well. But, I'll definitely try both!
Wow that's a lot of power indeed. Functionality wise they remind me of the Sprout from PS Audio.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #7,267 of 22,424
You sure the Solistino is only a headphone jack away from the 845? I doubt any manufacturer would raise their MSRP threefold just by adding a headphone jack.

I did mean a used Solistino since the new ones are close to $10,000 MSRP. The MSRP on the Egoista is $13,800 but I have never seen one on the used market.

Having tried both the Egoista and the Solistino I can say that signature wise the different is negligible if there is any at all.

Also, it should be said that a rating of 7w doesn't say much at all about how well the amp can drive the 1266 phi's. Just because the volume can be driven high enough doesn't mean that the amp has the authority to handle something like the 1266's at listening volume. In the case of the Chord amps the only one with what I would consider a "good" headphone out is the Dave, and even the Dave critically lacks authority when handling the 1266phi's, relative to pure headphone amps in the same price range (WA5 with upgrade tubes, Viva 2a3, DNA Stratus, etc.).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #7,268 of 22,424
You know, I might be the only one thinking HE6 is too easy to drive. With an efficiency rating as low as 78dB it still gets to ear-splitting volume way too quick on a 50W amp, there's simply not much useable volume. If somehow hifiman or JPS releases a headphone with lower than 60dB efficiency I would literally throw my money at them, cuz that way I won't even need volume matching when I switch to headphones from speakers.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #7,269 of 22,424
I did mean a used Solistino since the new ones are close to $10,000 MSRP. The MSRP on the Egoista is $13,800 but I have never seen one on the used market.

Having tried both the Egoista and the Solistino I can say that signature wise the different is negligible if there is any at all.

Also, it should be said that a rating of 7w doesn't say much at all about how well the amp can drive the 1266 phi's. Just because the volume can be driven high enough doesn't mean that the amp has the authority to handle something like the 1266's at listening volume. In the case of the Chord amps the only one with what I would consider a "good" headphone out is the Dave, and even the Dave critically lacks authority when handling the 1266phi's, relative to pure headphone amps in the same price range (WA5 with upgrade tubes, Viva 2a3, DNA Stratus, etc.).
Dang, if used price for a Solistino really floats around $4.5K it'd be one hell of a bargain. I've auditioned the 845 countless times and the only thing that prevents me from walking away with one is the price tag.

And also I agree with your 'moar power ain't necessarily better' mortar. Many 300B amps do more than a fantastic job driving HE6s, I don't see why they can't drive Abyss well, given that its slightly more sensitive than the HE6.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #7,270 of 22,424
Dang, if used price for a Solistino really floats around $4.5K it'd be one hell of a bargain. I've auditioned the 845 countless times and the only thing that prevents me from walking away with one is the price tag.

And also I agree with your 'moar power ain't necessarily better' mortar. Many 300B amps do more than a fantastic job driving HE6s, I don't see why they can't drive Abyss well, given that its slightly more sensitive than the HE6.

There was a Solista amp on usaudiomart with an asking price of $3,750 that was just sold. It's more powerful than the Solistino, and I would suspect they sound basically identical since it's basically the Solistino with an extra set of 845 tubes allowing it to go up to 40wpc. They do show up once in a while.

I debated about getting it but it runs extremely hot and won't fit on my equipment space, and I have other cans that practically need a solid state amp so I took a pass. Now that I've sold my WA5 I'm probably going to try to find an Airtight 300b with 120v in for the 1266 phi's.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #7,271 of 22,424
I would just like to comment on the recent mention on the power requirements of the Abyss 1266 Phi.

I have been doing all my critical listening on a Woo Audio WA5 2nd gen and it does more than great on the Abyss Phi. It really dampens the peak in highs all the while keeping it detailed and extended. Plenty of power for the HE6 but kind of on the darker side if you ask me, but I feel it suits the Abyss just right. I mean, it was the choice of amps they used to showcase the Abyss before the WA33 came out. It can't be that bad, right? To me, it's my endgame amp and haven't been caught on the "For Sale" forums in quite some time.

I did, however, recently purchase a small solid state amp to use as a semi portable unit for when I go out of town for work. I chose the Massdrop X THX AAA 789. Its rated at 6watts @ 32ohms if I remember correctly and has plenty of power to make your ears bleed. Not to mention the Massdrop X THX AAA 789 only cost $350!!!! If you're in the market for a solid state amp and dont want to spend much..... hell, if you're looking for something to complement your endgame setup.... the Massdrop X THX AAA 789 will give you a run for your money. It sounds good with ever headphone I listen to and it really makes the Abyss Phi shine and does wonders for the HD800 and the new HD820!

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #7,272 of 22,424
btw I would like to ask if anyone has tried the mysphere and compared with abyss 1266 phi or not? I’m quite interested in the mysphere too

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #7,273 of 22,424

For those of you considering a Dave... the DAVE can handle any headphone thrown at it... I own the WA33 and the blu2 , Dave etc... and while sometimes I prefer the power of a monster amp... there are times I like the refinement of the Dave and nothing compares to it... It can drive any headphone on the market.. including the Phi's...

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #7,274 of 22,424

How did you run the Abyss out of the Soilstino? Via the HE-Adapter?

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #7,275 of 22,424
How did you run the Abyss out of the Soilstino? Via the HE-Adapter?

I don't feel the need for a protector for the Solistino since the amp is only 22wpc and the Abyss should be able to handle 20w without too much trouble (not that anyone would listen to it at that volume). I'd say a straight taps to XLR adapter is your best call since the HE adapter degrades sound quality audibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back