The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #7,246 of 22,482
There is a black metal band called Abyss

hqdefault.jpg

Or I assume they're black metal because of how illegibly it's written...

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #7,247 of 22,482
There is a black metal band called Abyss

hqdefault.jpg

Or I assume they're black metal because of how illegibly it's written...
See! I knew it.

I just listened to them on Tidal. Hadn't heard black metal before, not bad.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #7,250 of 22,482
Has anyone listen to the new Meze empyrean headphone? May I know the differences between 1266phi and empyrean?
Thanks a lot!

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #7,251 of 22,482
Has anyone listen to the new Meze empyrean headphone? May I know the differences between 1266phi and empyrean?
Thanks a lot!
My dealer just got one in, I should be able to listen to it tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #7,252 of 22,482
I have compared the Empyrean and the Abyss AB1266 using a wide variety of music that I usually use for comparisons. Amongst others this includes: Master and Commander, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Lou Reed Walk on the Wild Side, various Joni Mitchell, Guess Who Follow your Daughter Home, Gotan Project Chunga's Revenge and La del Russo, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Klaatu Little Neutrino, Interstellar, Inception, B52s, various Zappa. I used iMac / Roon> optical>Chord Hugo M-Scaler>Chord DAVE > XI Audio Formula S with Powerman. The Empyreans are very efficient in comparison to the Abyss and are easily driven direct from the Dave (unlike the Abyss). But to minimise variables I went from the Formula S for both for this comparison.

They are beautifully packaged, best I have seen for headphones. Funny thing, opening the case and taking them out I couldn't help thinking of a hitman assembling a gun. Build quality is amazing, I almost didn't want to handle them because they looked like a work of art. Nevertheless they are solid and can be handled without fear. Really well assembled and a lot of attention to detail. The cable however is poor: stiff, fiddly, a bit microphonic.

Wearing them they look a little odd (alien torture device), comparable to the Abyss (medieval torture device) in that respect. They are light and comfortable. Overall initial comfort is a bit better than the Abyss (which are heavier, but have no clamping force), and a bit less than the HD800 (which are lighter and have less clamping force). I have not worn them long enough to judge comfort for extended listening, it will come down to the clamping force (more) vs weight (less). Note this is comparative, in absolute terms these are amongst the most comfortable headphones I have worn.

I have listened to them all day. My initial impression was a dark, rich sound, with solid bass. This remained throughout the day and across all music. Overall quite pleasant and non-fatiguing. Really an excellent set of headphones. But overall I preferred the Abyss. Here are some of the main points of comparison:
  • Tonal balance is noticeably darker for the Empyreans. The Abyss actually sounded a bit thin at times compared to them
  • The amount of bass is excellent, with same kind of slam as the Abyss. Great slam without being excessive
  • The bass is however thicker and not as well defined as the Abyss
  • Transients are not quite as crisp throughout the frequency range, which I can readily hear on percussion
  • Detail is better for the Abyss
  • The Empyreans are more closed in, with less depth
  • Instruments are a bit less localised
  • The above add up to less presence, noticeable on e.g. vocals, saxophone
I also quickly compared to the HD800, in this case the Empyrean was my preference.

It has been a while since I heard them, but perhaps they remind me of the LCD4. I will have to compare back in at my dealer's.

I have just posted a comparison in the Empyrean thread.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #7,253 of 22,482
I have just posted a comparison in the Empyrean thread.
Thanks for your first impression, seems abyss won a bit more area other than the wearing aspect.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #7,254 of 22,482
Anyone else feel like they lost a bit of the imaging with the CC pads? I feel like the width has increased but it's more difficult to pinpoint where everything is as precisely as it used to be with the older pads.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #7,255 of 22,482
Anyone else feel like they lost a bit of the imaging with the CC pads? I feel like the width has increased but it's more difficult to pinpoint where everything is as precisely as it used to be with the older pads.

Not at all for me, very specific and stable.

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #7,257 of 22,482
OK thanks for reporting back. To be fair, I've owned the Abyss for a few months now and have mostly driven them out of the Hugo 2, which I know is not doing them justice. I plan on acquiring a Hugo TT 2 soon and that will probably make a world of a difference.

BTW, I did listen again with the older pads and, at least on my current setup, the imaging is less diffuse with them, probably because the drivers are a bit closer to my ears with the older pads.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #7,258 of 22,482
OK thanks for reporting back. To be fair, I've owned the Abyss for a few months now and have mostly driven them out of the Hugo 2, which I know is not doing them justice. I plan on acquiring a Hugo TT 2 soon and that will probably make a world of a difference.

BTW, I did listen again with the older pads and, at least on my current setup, the imaging is less diffuse with them, probably because the drivers are a bit closer to my ears with the older pads.
Why not get a separate headphone amp? For power hungry planars like Abyss sufficient power makes a world of difference, I doubt a different DAC with an okay amp section can improve that much.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #7,259 of 22,482

The pads get a bit different after some days of usage. Maybe you haven’t find the right position ?
I think imaging is better with Cc pads while original one has a bit more bass.
I prefer cc pads more too

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #7,260 of 22,482
After listening to the norne audio S2 old flagship 8 wires, I made the order for a 12 wires edition of the new flag ship S3
Will report back when I get the cable. That should be around Late December and early Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back