The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7,141 of 22,431
Well, first I have to say I understand why the CC pads are generally considered an improvement and I have to make clear that my perception is solely based on listening to classical music. I find the Abyss Phi to be outstanding, although in my opinion they have a subtle coloration in the high frequencies (hard to describe, but I "feel" a nasal color on everything). With the old pads, I always have the feeling that I just need a minute, and I can adapt to it and forget about that color, and then everything just sounds natural. With the CC pads, I simply cannot. Specially with violins (no matter if it is a solo violin, a chamber music, or a full orchestra), I hear them quite coloured, and I am not able to adapt to that sound, I just hear it weird, to be honest. With the new pads, the midrange is clearly warmer, more present and more appealing, but in my opinion, the whole spectrum is affected somehow. Plus, I love the fact that with the old pads I can leave a small gap between me and the pads; I think that creates a very unique experience. With the new pads, I cannot do it, the pads always clamp, and I feel that as a more conventional headphone experience.
Again, I see why the new pads are so attractive, but they're not for me:)
Without the option to compare CC to the standard Phi, I don't think I understood exactly how I should be wearing this unique HP. I had the frame fully extended but was still getting a very light, no pressure seal with the CC pads. I finally decided to bend the frame a bit and am very happy I did. Now that I have a slight gap with the CC pads, sound quality and the overall experience has been improved beyond what was already an amazing level. It also really helps the treble sound more natural. I was expecting it to primarily impact bass performance, but there are improvements up and down the frequency range.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #7,142 of 22,431
I finally decided to bend the frame a bit and am very happy I did.

I'm interested in recovering some of the physical clearance that I've lost due to the added thickness of the CC pads compared to the OG pads.

I've been skittish about bending the frame for fear of damaging the hinge or something. Should I be? Any tips?...

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #7,146 of 22,431
I had to increase the bend in mine with the CC pads, not enough that I could see a definite increase in the angle but enough that I could feel it.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #7,147 of 22,431
@gonzalo1004es
Something to consider when it comes to string instruments would be the cabling. The AB-1266 Phi (as you know) has tons of resolution, it will pick out upstream problems way easier than other headphones, which makes further fine-tuning of your system a critical step.

It sounds as if you have an underlying 'resonance' within the system and the new pads made it worse. If you PM me with your current system config and the cables/AC cords in play, I'm quite certain we can get to the root cause of the violin sound. One wrong choice of AC cord on a DAC is enough to mess with strings. If you have different AC, interconnect, and/or USB cables try changing them up, or borrow something to try. As a simple example, analog cables using PTFE style insulation can cause the sort of sound I believe you are describing.

Well, first I have to say I understand why the CC pads are generally considered an improvement and I have to make clear that my perception is solely based on listening to classical music. I find the Abyss Phi to be outstanding, although in my opinion they have a subtle coloration in the high frequencies (hard to describe, but I "feel" a nasal color on everything). With the old pads, I always have the feeling that I just need a minute, and I can adapt to it and forget about that color, and then everything just sounds natural. With the CC pads, I simply cannot. Specially with violins (no matter if it is a solo violin, a chamber music, or a full orchestra), I hear them quite coloured, and I am not able to adapt to that sound, I just hear it weird, to be honest. With the new pads, the midrange is clearly warmer, more present and more appealing, but in my opinion, the whole spectrum is affected somehow. Plus, I love the fact that with the old pads I can leave a small gap between me and the pads; I think that creates a very unique experience. With the new pads, I cannot do it, the pads always clamp, and I feel that as a more conventional headphone experience.
Again, I see why the new pads are so attractive, but they're not for me:)

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #7,148 of 22,431
Hi Everyone,

I apologize up-front for asking a question that already appears in this thread, but maybe there are some new thoughts:

What do you consider the best amp under $4-5K for the 1266 Phi's? I'm trying to find something as much under $4000 as possible, single-ended or balanced. I am looking for high-resolution, a wide soundstage with good separation and imaging, and solid bass without boominess. You know, all the typical things. :) .
I'm open to solid-state or tube, whatever gets the job done. Most of the tube amps I tried had too much haze so I've stuck to SS most of the time but who knows. A good liquid tube sound could be nice if I could afford it. Oh, and if it paired well with the Utopias that's be a plus.

Anyway I'd love your opinions! Thanks in advance.

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #7,149 of 22,431
Hi Everyone,

I apologize up-front for asking a question that already appears in this thread, but maybe there are some new thoughts:

What do you consider the best amp under $4-5K for the 1266 Phi's? I'm trying to find something as much under $4000 as possible, single-ended or balanced. I am looking for high-resolution, a wide soundstage with good separation and imaging, and solid bass without boominess. You know, all the typical things. :) .
I'm open to solid-state or tube, whatever gets the job done. Most of the tube amps I tried had too much haze so I've stuck to SS most of the time but who knows. A good liquid tube sound could be nice if I could afford it. Oh, and if it paired well with the Utopias that's be a plus.

Anyway I'd love your opinions! Thanks in advance.

HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 if you are using a balanced DAC, Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar if you're not. Why these? They are designed for maximum transparency and have a lot of power. Pure class A output, minimal components in the signal path, excellent build quality. See what Tyll and Bob Katz wrote about them respectively:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/lightning-quick-headamp-gs-x-mk2-headphone-amplifier
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-18-icelandic-wonder

Both pair very well with the Utopia and any headphone, especially the GS-X Mk2 with its three gain settings.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #7,150 of 22,431
I’d suggest something that can at least output 8W at phi’s Impedance. So in your price range, enigma, used headtrip, liquid gold and whatever that outputs a lot of power with low distortion. I keep seeing people saying not that many power is needed because the physics blah blah blah. Alright let’s talk about physics here. If your theoretical calculations tell you your phi requires 15mW to reach a moderate listening level, the actual power requirement is more like 100- 200 times of that. Why? Because the number 15mW is a RMS value and audio output waveform has many sharp peaks (local max) that is way above the RMS value. If your just feed your phi 15mW all the peaks will be cut and the information stored there will be lost. In human language, your phi will sound warm, slow and anemic. Of course people have different preferences but science is science. Here is a audio waveform example.
4274029D-2698-4458-B0CE-F0F200243C41.jpeg

Personally I have compared HPA4 and liquid gold. HPA4 is similar in terms of specs and price tag to gsx and xiaudio formula S so I would put them in the same league. Though only gsx from the 3 is a fully balanced amp if that’s what you care about. To start with the sound stage on HPA4 is noticeably narrower than that on the Lau. Dynamics and punchyness are both better on LAu. More power, class A pure or not, clearly wins. I also tried to drive my phi cc with Dave only and I have to say if one can be satisfied with such a setup one may as well just buy a pair of any cheap headphone and just plug it in your noisy PC. I do however find that LAu has a slight bass boost so I would not recommend it if you are using a warm-sounding DAC. Phi is really a money sucker so if I were you I might just get a pair of LCD3 instead and amps like gsx would be a great match.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #7,151 of 22,431
. I also tried to drive my phi cc with Dave only and I have to say if one can be satisfied with such a setup one may as well just buy a pair of any cheap headphone and just plug it in your noisy PC. .

Thats a bit extreme.

I would take an Abyss Phi CC with sub optimal power over most other headphones on the market. The Abyss doesn't need 25w or even 8w into its impedance to shine. A good amount of power sure, I agree. Its not as hard to drive as the Susvara or the HE6. I would reckon the GSX-MK2 and XIAudio have enough power. Whether or not they match sonically is a different story. I would reckon the Formula S would be decent given it was designed around the Abyss Phi, but I haven't heard it so I can't say for sure.

Oct 1, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #7,152 of 22,431
Thats a bit extreme.

I would take an Abyss Phi CC with sub optimal power over most other headphones on the market. The Abyss doesn't need 25w or even 8w into its impedance to shine. A good amount of power sure, I agree. Its not as hard to drive as the Susvara or the HE6. I would reckon the GSX-MK2 and XIAudio have enough power. Whether or not they match sonically is a different story. I would reckon the Formula S would be decent given it was designed around the Abyss Phi, but I haven't heard it so I can't say for sure.

People who spend $4995 on phi are expecting the performance no other headphone could offer. If you do not feed it well, it does not sound much better than a grado GH4 which costs $550. Not to mention phi has that recessed mid which only make less power worse.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #7,153 of 22,431
People who spend $4995 on phi are expecting the performance no other headphone could offer. If you do not feed it well, it does not sound much better than a grado GH4 which costs $550. Not to mention phi has that recessed mid which only make less power worse.
I sold my GS-X and have a Woo WA5 LE being delivered tomorrow. In the interim I'm listening to Phi's direct from BluDave. More power would be nice, but it is not a necessity and the Phi does not fall on it's face as you stated. It's great to run the numbers but it's still a guide, not an absolute. The final outcome is heavily influenced by the demands of the music and the volume which you are playing.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #7,154 of 22,431
Great insights/suggestions, thank you all. I'll keep eagerly reading any other ideas that come in. It will take me a bit of time to find the best fit.
I'd like to NOT spend the same amount on the amp for the Abyss as the Abyss itself, but I understand that well-designed and well-built amps have an appropriate cost. But I also don't think they need to be swapped out often which is why I want to invest correctly in the best fit.

Although I tend to agree with this comment, I don't plan to play at blasting volumes: People who spend $4995 on phi are expecting the performance no other headphone could offer. If you do not feed it well, it does not sound much better than a grado GH4 which costs $550. Not to mention phi has that recessed mid which only make less power worse.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #7,155 of 22,431
I sold my GS-X and have a Woo WA5 LE being delivered tomorrow. In the interim I'm listening to Phi's direct from BluDave. More power would be nice, but it is not a necessity and the Phi does not fall on it's face as you stated. It's great to run the numbers but it's still a guide, not an absolute. The final outcome is heavily influenced by the demands of the music and the volume which you are playing.

I think it’s just a cultural thing. Professors here in the states would say not bad to your work when you actually did a crap job because people always try to be as encouraging as possible. Same thing with all the reviews you can rarely see anyone saying something is bad. But the fact is fact. To me phi directly from Dave is worth $1000 at top if the best match makes its $4995 price tag justified. What you find okay to me may very likely be unacceptable because I’m picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back