The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #7,156 of 22,431
I am driving the Abyss Phi with XI Audio Formula S + Powerman external power supply. What I can say is that the 2W Formula S (in high gain mode, i.e. +16dB) drives the Abyss with plenty of authority and grunt, combined with a finesse, transparency and tonal balance which closely match driving them through DAVE alone.

I can easily reach realistic SPL even on very low level classical recordings of very large orchestral pieces, with a visceral impact which effectively mimics a live experience (OK, not quite there, but as close as a headphone rig can get) with no audible distortion, compression or clipping. Extreme dynamic pieces with demanding sub-bass passages - like organ tracks - exhibit a skull rattling rumble which is an experience in itself.

This was not possible with DAVE alone, but I would say DAVE is able to squeeze a more than decent amount of quality AND quantity from the Abyss in 80-90% of cases for my tastes and my musical preferences / typical listening levels (more about DAVE direct vs. DAVE + XI Audio amp here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-782#post-14394739).

As for the recessed mids issue, the Phi CC pads are able to give the vocals more focus, presence and tactility IMHO, and with the benefit of the DAVE crossfeed function, I can "see" the singer / soloist just before me and in front of the other musicians, pretty much where I would expect them to be :)

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #7,157 of 22,431
I think it’s just a cultural thing. Professors here in the states would say not bad to your work when you actually did a **** job because people always try to be as encouraging as possible. Same thing with all the reviews you can rarely see anyone saying something is bad. But the fact is fact. To me phi directly from Dave is worth $1000 at top if the best match makes its $4995 price tag justified. What you find okay to me may very likely be unacceptable because I’m picky.
Fair enough. This is subjective and we're only responsible for our own spend. I commented since you're stating your view as a fact. With the level of gear we're talking about I think it's safe to say the majority of us are picky and know good from average from crap.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #7,158 of 22,431
I think I mentioned it before but my Allnic HPA-3000GT is outstanding with the AB-1266 Phi and comes in right around your price point of $4k. It's 3w and drives them wonderfully. I'm no expert, but I believe there's more to it than just watts, such as the quality of the transformers. Allnic is primarily a maker of high end speaker based amps, pre-amps, and phono stages. This quality trickles down to their headphone amp offerings.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #7,159 of 22,431
I am driving the Abyss Phi with XI Audio Formula S + Powerman external power supply. What I can say is that the 2W Formula S (in high gain mode, i.e. +16dB) drives the Abyss with plenty of authority and grunt, combined with a finesse, transparency and tonal balance which closely match driving them through DAVE alone.

I can easily reach realistic SPL even on very low level classical recordings of very large orchestral pieces, with a visceral impact which effectively mimics a live experience (OK, not quite there, but as close as a headphone rig can get) with no audible distortion, compression or clipping. Extreme dynamic pieces with demanding sub-bass passages - like organ tracks - exhibit a skull rattling rumble which is an experience in itself.

This was not possible with DAVE alone, but I would say DAVE is able to squeeze a more than decent amount of quality AND quantity from the Abyss in 80-90% of cases for my tastes and my musical preferences / typical listening levels (more about DAVE direct vs. DAVE + XI Audio amp here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-782#post-14394739).

As for the recessed mids issue, the Phi CC pads are able to give the vocals more focus, presence and tactility IMHO, and with the benefit of the DAVE crossfeed function, I can "see" the singer / soloist just before me and in front of the other musicians, pretty much where I would expect them to be :)

Wow, great write up. This is what I am going for! I tend to listen to classic rock and r&b more than orchestral or chamber music, but what you said just sounds delightful. I will definitely look into those items. Boy if only I could afford that DAVE. That is one fantastic DAC.

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #7,161 of 22,431
violectric 281..i also have the blu/dave combo and often times listen straight from this source...other times i will use the 281 depending on mood.....it is really a different experience,straight from the blu/dave is a bit more transparent a bit smaller soundstage and a bit more powerful bass....both are truly great

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #7,162 of 22,431
I'm assuming this is ok to post. Diana Phi

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 7.53.59 pm.png

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #7,163 of 22,431
Great insights/suggestions, thank you all. I'll keep eagerly reading any other ideas that come in. It will take me a bit of time to find the best fit.
I'd like to NOT spend the same amount on the amp for the Abyss as the Abyss itself, but I understand that well-designed and well-built amps have an appropriate cost. But I also don't think they need to be swapped out often which is why I want to invest correctly in the best fit.

I tend to agree with this comment: People who spend $4995 on phi are expecting the performance no other headphone could offer. If you do not feed it well, it does not sound much better than a grado GH4 which costs $550. Not to mention phi has that recessed mid which only make less power worse.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #7,164 of 22,431
Great insights/suggestions, thank you all. I'll keep eagerly reading any other ideas that come in. It will take me a bit of time to find the best fit.
I'd like to NOT spend the same amount on the amp for the Abyss as the Abyss itself, but I understand that well-designed and well-built amps have an appropriate cost. But I also don't think they need to be swapped out often which is why I want to invest correctly in the best fit.

I tend to agree with this comment: People who spend $4995 on phi are expecting the performance no other headphone could offer. If you do not feed it well, it does not sound much better than a grado GH4 which costs $550. Not to mention phi has that recessed mid which only make less power worse.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #7,165 of 22,431
OK, you are speaking of suitable amps, but mention “recessed mids”, & this is something that I would really like an answer to.
Is the Phi version similar to the ‘orIginal’, OR does it have an increase as to ‘the mids’.

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #7,166 of 22,431
OK, you are speaking of suitable amps, but mention “recessed mids”, & this is something that I would really like an answer to.
Is the Phi version similar to the ‘orIginal’, OR does it have an increase as to ‘the mids’.

Unfortunately I haven't spent enough time with the original 1266 to answer that question. I didn't mention mids personally, that was someone else. So far I find the Phi to be quite well-balanced. I'm looking for an amp to reinforce its strengths, not tune it in a particular direction. As I am able to try it with more sources and amps my perspective could change.

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #7,169 of 22,431
I'm pretty sure even with the new style Diana pads my outer ear would be well deformed inside those ear cups. Plus, what looks like extra ear pad depth and top frame canting available on the Phi CC's might make a difference too.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #7,170 of 22,431
Finally joined the club

Abyss Phi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back