The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #5,718 of 22,424
Been busy the last couple days so I haven't had a chance to check back. House hunting.. Tons of paperwork.

For the DAC I'd like to stay around $2k. Currently eyeing the Mytek Brooklyn or Cambridge Azur 851N. I haven't heard either, just want to nnow what has good synergy with the Milo and Abyss.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #5,719 of 22,424
Yggdrasil is the best I've heard in that price range.

Aug 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #5,720 of 22,424
The Prion 4 sounds very fluid, slight warm, with great silky resolution. The voices sounds richer and the top more airy without any grain, but it cost more than many high end amps and headphones, so dont botther buy any cable before you are fully satisfied with your base gear, because the diffrence are often smaller than switching a amp/dac/headphones. It is more for fine tuning a instrument.
See the cables like a filter almost.

But i also like the stock cable who got great scale and speed, and for its asking price of 0.00$ (Included ) it is great , so start with the stock cable and then save up for a better cable.

The Superconducter sounds a little to buttery fat with slight less resolution and gives you a slighty more congested soundstadge when it comes to " the out of your head 3D experience " vs the DHC Prion4 and Stock Abyss Cable.

The purpose from my findings is that the Superconductor sound High End-ish if you want a fuller darker voiced sound with some spark on the top , or if you are using a brighter DAC + amp combo like the Manhattan + HeadAmp GSX / Auralic Taurus amp setup, then it could be a good alternativ.

This is only my impressions..

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #5,721 of 22,424
The Prion 4 sounds very fluid, slight warm, with great silky resolution. The voices sounds richer and the top more airy without any grain, but it cost more than many high end amps and headphones, so dont botther buy any cable before you are fully satisfied with your base gear, because the diffrence are often smaller than switching a amp/dac/headphones. It is more for fine tuning a instrument.
See the cables like a filter almost.

But i also like the stock cable who got great scale and speed, and for its asking price of 0.00$ (Included ) it is great , so start with the stock cable and then save up for a better cable.

The Superconducter sounds a little to buttery fat with slight less resolution and gives you a slighty more congested soundstadge when it comes to " the out of your head 3D experience " vs the DHC Prion4 and Stock Abyss Cable.

The purpose from my findings is that the Superconductor sound High End-ish if you want a fuller darker voiced sound with some spark on the top , or if you are using a brighter DAC + amp combo like the Manhattan + HeadAmp GSX / Auralic Taurus amp setup, then it could be a good alternativ.

This is only my impressions..
I have exact same cables and the Phi turned up yesterday. Very early impressions are that it is vastly improved over the previous version. I have found it hard to stop listening to, it is for men tastes much more musical than the previous version. Anyone with the previous version should get them updated no question.

Cables: I am currently using the DHC Prion4S, I have to say that if you get the Prion4S with the Lemo adapter system you will be able to use any headphone now and in the future with your cables this in my mind makes a good performance/value proposition.

I am currently running the Elrog 300B with Takatsuki 274B rectifiers. I have a strong feeling that the Abyss Phi will sound better when I swap around to the KR HP valves both 300B and 274B.

More in depth impressions to come.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #5,722 of 22,424
Trying to decide between upgrading to the Phi and selling my Utopia or selling my original Abyss and keeping the Utopia.

Wish I had a way to listen to the Phi.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #5,723 of 22,424
Trying to decide between upgrading to the Phi and selling my Utopia or selling my original Abyss and keeping the Utopia.

Wish I had a way to listen to the Phi.

Got your Abyss sorted then?

Surely if you have Abyss and Utopia atm, budget would allow for a phi upgrade at some stage down the track without having to sell the Utopia?

Given that most impressions have been that the difference is subtle (which I assumed it would be - since it was just an update to the existing design and not a new product) I wonder if I would notice. Interesting to see how Simon's blind testing of his friends goes...

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #5,724 of 22,424
all differences at this level are subtle....that said,to me the phi is a fine upgrade.....every 4 or 5 years things do improve

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #5,725 of 22,424
Got your Abyss sorted then?

Surely if you have Abyss and Utopia atm, budget would allow for a phi upgrade at some stage down the track without having to sell the Utopia?

Given that most impressions have been that the difference is subtle (which I assumed it would be - since it was just an update to the existing design and not a new product) I wonder if I would notice. Interesting to see how Simon's blind testing of his friends goes...

Did you some blind testing last night with 2 friends, both unequivocally preferred the Phi over the previous model. They both wanted to compare the Susvara to the Phi but we ran out of time. My feeling is that they are both quite different headphones. When you listen to the Abyss it is an event, it doesn't sound like any other Headphone and that in my book is a good thing. The Susvara is more difficult to drive and does not have the subterranean bass extension of the Abyss nor does it have the off the ears freedom of sound that the Abyss has. The Susvara is a stunning headphone if you have an amp powerful enough to drive it.

One of them complained about the weight of the Abyss, he normally listens to the HE-1000 so I am not surprised. He also had a wide head so I couldn't get the Abyss setup as I would have liked it without bending the arms, which given that they are mine I did not want to do. I know he would be pre-disposed to the Susvara.

There is no doubt that the Abyss Phi is must have upgrade if you already own a set of the earlier Abyss. We all felt that any serious Headphone audiophile would want to have the Abyss Phi in their collection. For me, part of the beauty of this hobby is being able to change Headphones as my mood/music dictate. Its still early days on my set. The bass is still quite tight and a little restricted, I am sure it will open up and deliver more bass extension and weight as it burns in. I am not 100% happy with the fitment either, the arms need to be a little wider to get those ear pads completely off the sides of my head.

I will change the valves over to the KR HP's and give the Superconductor cable a go. More to come.

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #5,726 of 22,424
Did you some blind testing last night with 2 friends, both unequivocally preferred the Phi over the previous model.
The bass is still quite tight and a little restricted, I am sure it will open up and deliver more bass extension and weight as it burns

So what were the big trade offs? Is the treble softer, but still has the incisive edge, does the soundstage seem the same, are the mids more upfront? Is bass less in mid bass or less in subbass or both?

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #5,727 of 22,424
guess that confirms what I've suspected for some time - that i'm not a "serious headphone audiophile"

Aug 22, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #5,728 of 22,424
Well folks, I have started listening to my Abyss again over my Utopia.
I put it away for so long I forgot how different and just plain amazing this headphone is.

I'm considering selling my Utopia to fund the Phi upgrade and maybe a superconductor cable...

Just wish there was a way to try the Phi, or more impressions versus the original.
I don't want to lose any bass, I want a bit more mid range, and I want less spiky treble. Those are my only issues with the Abyss, which might have been part of the reason I was driven towards the Utopia. That and it's lighter, not more comfortable though. I still prefer my Abyss in terms of comfort.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #5,730 of 22,424
I am listening to my Abyss phi with Woo Audio WA33 and it drives them with ease. I paired the phi with Chord Dave and that didn't sound good to my ears.

Do you by chance have any Abyss vs Abyss Phi info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back