The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #5,086 of 22,434
I don’t know if any of you are into Dylon, I am not really but he has just won the Nobel prize for Literature, Patti Smith sang his nominated song. It certainly bought a tear to my eyes. Even if you are not into either its worth watching and listening to the lyrics.

Oh, what did you see, my blue-eyed son?
Oh, what did you see, my darling young one?
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin’
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin’
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard
And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/a-transcendent-patti-smith-accepts-bob-dylans-nobel-prize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVXQaOhpfJU

​Hope you all enjoy.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #5,087 of 22,434
Decided to give Joe's work with KR Tubes a go. Chances are high that they will be outstanding if Joe has anything to do them. The following are on their way.

300B Balloon HP
2A3 HP
274B HP

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #5,088 of 22,434
Be interesting to see how they go compared to these. Finally got my hands on a decent pair. Heavenly is the only way to describe the midrange. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #5,089 of 22,434
@yoga, my son Jason downloaded the Sonarworks trial for speakers and mic'd his room with a set of M Audio's on a desk. Said it made a significant difference, Claire Marlo's voice now sounds like the old B&W 801''s and that kevlar midrange straight out of 1990. Always loved that midrange driver with female vocals.

Glad he's enjoying it! B&W801s - classic!

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #5,090 of 22,434

I am tempted, but as you say, fit is so critical to the sound their calibration may be completely pointless. Hard to tell as the Abyss are so unique.

The TwoTwo 8's are a dream, especially with the Sub2. The sound they produce (especially after SWR3 calibration) is mind blowing. Better than many $$$ audiophile setups I've heard!

Do you produce/engineer yourself?

I used to, but I just do it for fun now, nothing serious. I haven't heard the TwoTwo8's with a sub, that must be fantastic. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #5,091 of 22,434
I missed reading about these tubes. Is there a US distributor?

Quote:
  Decided to give Joe's work with KR Tubes a go. Chances are high that they will be outstanding if Joe has anything to do them. The following are on their way.

300B Balloon HP
2A3 HP
274B HP

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #5,093 of 22,434
Has anyone ever got hair in under that net looking piece that I assume protects the diaphragm?

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #5,094 of 22,434
Man, I am really impressed by Lotoo Paw Gold (Diana Edition). It is the ONLY DAP (digital audio player) that drives my Abyss effectively and also drive in-ear headphones without noise.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #5,095 of 22,434
It really is a nice little device.  Just need to buy a 3.5mm abyss cable cause at the moment the adapters are bigger than the player... :p
Have been waiting for an all-in-one portable solution for the Abyss for a long time and it's finally here!

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #5,096 of 22,434
  Has anyone ever got hair in under that net looking piece that I assume protects the diaphragm?

Whatever you do don't go after it with anything metal. They will get sucked into it. I do a very light air clean using dental surgical vacuum and air blast every six months.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #5,099 of 22,434
Received my Uptone Ultra-capacitor LPS-1 FPGA power supply that i power one of my W4s Remedy femto clocks with ( before i powered them with batterys) , the clarity / separation / timing and the definition was very much better than before!

Can highly emrecomend it!

I take of my hat for Alex Crespi @ Uptone

So now the Abyss sings like never before!

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #5,100 of 22,434
I have never heard this amp, so can't speak to its sonic qualities, but if anyone is looking for a lot of power at a cheap price, this might be worth a look. Supposedly some HE-6 owners like this amp, so it might do well with the Abyss. 

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back