The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #18,781 of 22,434
I can’t recline? Even a little? I mean th900 is loose so if you look down, it may slide off but it’s lite so it generally is not a problem. How problematic is wearability. I don’t listen for hours and hours at a time, but my go to hd800S is comfortable and reclinable.
You can recline a bit if your chair has a headrest that can support the TC. But u would know that the TC is also resting on that headrest.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #18,785 of 22,434
I can’t recline? Even a little? I mean th900 is loose so if you look down, it may slide off but it’s lite so it generally is not a problem. How problematic is wearability. I don’t listen for hours and hours at a time, but my go to hd800S is comfortable and reclinable.
I listen to my TC while reclining all the time. But I do have to adjust the headphone every time I move. It is really my only major complaint with the 1266. If I’m just sitting at my desk on the internet, no problem. But if I’m working on paperwork or something, the TC is a no go.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #18,786 of 22,434
If you were able to secure a Formula S with Powerman for 4,000 dollars or get a CFA3 at a similar price, which would be the better deal? I only ever hear good things about both amps so the choice is hard.
I am a Gilmore shill but also have heard and owned them all. I also evaluate by the numeric topology and parts quality.

The CFA3 is all around the better performer but the Formula S is warmer and warm sounding.

From a design, the Formula S is a hack. But so is Wells Audio and he's captured a bunch of silly boys as his fans.

Shrugs.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #18,787 of 22,434
I am a Gilmore shill but also have heard and owned them all. I also evaluate by the numeric topology and parts quality.

The CFA3 is all around the better performer but the Formula S is warmer and warm sounding.

From a design, the Formula S is a hack. But so is Wells Audio and he's captured a bunch of silly boys as his fans.

Shrugs.
On the flipside of the coin, there are people that like that sound signature of the Formula S or Wells.

I think silly boys are the ones that pay $12,000-$16,000 on a WA33.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #18,788 of 22,434
On the flipside of the coin, there are people that like that sound signature of the Formula S or Wells.

I think silly boys are the ones that pay $12,000-$16,000 on a WA33.
Which is fine. For that sound. You can also obtain that sound for, well, far less, it is an inferior design.

Those whom buy WA33 are clueless. When Stellaris, Studio, Primavera are of consideration.

Whatever prestige, or flavor. It's like a horween v cordovan v plastic.

And it is just one opinion.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #18,789 of 22,434
Which is fine. For that sound. You can also obtain that sound for, well, far less, it is an inferior design.

Those whom buy WA33 are clueless. When Stellaris, Studio, Primavera are of consideration.

Whatever prestige, or flavor. It's like a horween v cordovan v plastic.

And it is just one opinion.
You're not of the opinion a top tier tube amp is superior or preferable to high level solid state amps? Or that WA33 is better than these others?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #18,790 of 22,434
You're not of the opinion a top tier tube amp is superior or preferable to high level solid state amps?
I'm of the opinion it all starts with the transducer for qualifiers.

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #18,791 of 22,434
Or that WA33 is better than these others?
The most important qualifier for a tube amp is how good is the transformer. Trafomatic wounds some of the best transformers themselves, DNA employs Audio Note transformers. Start there.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #18,793 of 22,434
The most important qualifier for a tube amp is how good is the transformer. Trafomatic wounds some of the best transformers themselves, DNA employs Audio Note transformers. Start there.
But you have to like the tubes employed in the first place. For me personally, I don’t like 2A3 tubes no matter who uses them.

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #18,794 of 22,434
But you have to like the tubes employed in the first place. For me personally, I don’t like 2A3 tubes no matter who uses them.
I didn't say it's the only consideration. But it's certainly the foundation for a performance ceiling.

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #18,795 of 22,434
If you were able to secure a Formula S with Powerman for 4,000 dollars or get a CFA3 at a similar price, which would be the better deal? I only ever hear good things about both amps so the choice is hard.
Get a CFA3. It's an absolute steal for how well it performs relative to it's price (which should cost significantly less than 4k). Plus, if you don't like it you can almost certainly flip it at, or very close, to cost here on head-fi. I also found the CFA3 to be highly reactive to whatever you put around it; headphones, cabling, DACs, preamps, etc., so you can likely dial it in to suite your individual preferences.

I'll bite. Why don't you care for the 2A3 tubes?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back