The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #18,766 of 22,434
The OG is a richer tone then TC sacrificing on additional detail, dynamics etc.
Yes, the mids sound more natural. Surprised there isn’t as much hype around it as there is with other flagships of yesteryears that have subsequently been updated.

Yes, it’s still close to the TC, but for many TC fanatics, I would think it would be a nice collector’s item, especially given the OG’s mids.

I am sure these collectors exist but still….

I am a bit tempted by the OG, lol. A local guy selling it for less than $2K.

Wish there was more of a secondary/tertiary market for it.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #18,767 of 22,434
A set of the OG 1266 have popped up on ebay for a pretty reasonable price which rarely happens in the UK so tempted to pull the trigger, how do they stack up to the current version and other headphones on the market given their age?

Also previously owned a diana v2 which I didn't rate at all so slightly unsure about abyss in general now
I didn’t like the V2. Sold it off promptly. Joshua V hype train, lol. The V2 sounded good / synergized well only off my DAP, the Kann Alpha.

Meanwhile, the OG is a good headphone. Impressive even.

I agree with @deuter on the OG presentation and differences viz.a.viz the TC.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #18,768 of 22,434
how well the hsa-1b pair with ab1266 phi tc. is it better than fomular s+pm or benchmark hpa4? thanks

Had compared them side by side (with Phi TC and Diana Phi), my choice easily goes to Formual S (even without powerman). Formula create bigger soundstage, clearer separation, while a the same time being fuller and smoother. HSA-1B being more forward, aggressive, throw more energy, but slight less resolution.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #18,769 of 22,434
I think the 1B is better with the abyss than you express but I do agree the formula s especially with powerman is exceptional with the abyss

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #18,770 of 22,434
yes I do think the TC’s sound a bit better but it is a bit and I didn’t think to myself damn my OG’s sound like crap now that I got to get the TC’s as they still are a fantastic sounding headphone.

Yes, it’s still close to the TC, but for many TC fanatics, I would think it would be a nice collector’s item, especially given the OG’s mids.

I fully agree. I feel also many exagerate the differences in technicalities, they are really quite close. The tonality differs, the TC is more netural but both complement each other for rotational listening very well! I think the OG is one of the best headphones money can buy in the second hand market (ofc if you can find one).

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #18,771 of 22,434
Y'all gonna flip the market. :laughing:

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #18,772 of 22,434
I fully agree. I feel also many exagerate the differences in technicalities, they are really quite close. The tonality differs, the TC is more netural but both complement each other for rotational listening very well! I think the OG is one of the best headphones money can buy in the second hand market (ofc if you can find one).
That's exactly why I haven't bought a TC, I don't want a more neutral sounding OG :)
OG tuning is what got Abyss on the Headphone map and I don't was to screw to original tuning.

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #18,773 of 22,434
20211129_152129-01.jpeg

The Meze Elite sounds really good. But just don't listen to it side by side with the 1266 TC Phi..

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #18,775 of 22,434
I'd like to compare a pair of TC's to my LCD-5's that I have on loan to help me make a decision as to whether LCD-5 is the one or if I should move on a TC. Anyone in the Ft. Lauderdale / Coral Springs, FL area that wouldn't mind hosting a demo?

I'm curious to know how the TC's could do as a daily driver, 6+ hours a day during work and then play after 5.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #18,776 of 22,434
I'd like to compare a pair of TC's to my LCD-5's that I have on loan to help me make a decision as to whether LCD-5 is the one or if I should move on a TC. Anyone in the Ft. Lauderdale / Coral Springs, FL area that wouldn't mind hosting a demo?

I'm curious to know how the TC's could do as a daily driver, 6+ hours a day during work and then play after 5.
Oof I love the TC but I don’t think my neck can handle 6+ hours plus play afterwards. Not just bec they’re on the heavier side but also because they don’t have a clamp and only sits on top of your head. So freedom or movement can be a bit limited. LCD-5 I could wear for that long.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #18,777 of 22,434
Oof I love the TC but I don’t think my neck can handle 6+ hours plus play afterwards. Not just bec they’re on the heavier side but also because they don’t have a clamp and only sits on top of your head. So freedom or movement can be a bit limited. LCD-5 I could wear for that long.
I don't think the weight would be too much of an issue for me: I've been wearing LCD-4's for 8+ hours/day for 4 years now. Those are about the same weight as the TC's. Gotten used to the weight, no prob.

I do wonder about freedom of movement, though. I don't move that much at my work desk. Left, right, slightly down. Typical desk job. But that's really it.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #18,778 of 22,434
I don't think the weight would be too much of an issue for me: I've been wearing LCD-4's for 8+ hours/day for 4 years now. Those are about the same weight as the TC's. Gotten used to the weight, no prob.

I do wonder about freedom of movement, though. I don't move that much at my work desk. Left, right, slightly down. Typical desk job. But that's really it.
Yeah I don’t really mind the weight all that much, just the freedom of movement bit. Shifting your head can make the TC slide a bit. Could get annoying even for the simple stuff like looking down to check phone, moving head side to side while viewing a spreadsheet on a wide screen monitor, sitting back and reclining for a second, etc.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #18,779 of 22,434
I can’t recline? Even a little? I mean th900 is loose so if you look down, it may slide off but it’s lite so it generally is not a problem. How problematic is wearability. I don’t listen for hours and hours at a time, but my go to hd800S is comfortable and reclinable.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #18,780 of 22,434
If you were able to secure a Formula S with Powerman for 4,000 dollars or get a CFA3 at a similar price, which would be the better deal? I only ever hear good things about both amps so the choice is hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back