The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #18,751 of 22,483
I have been in love with 1266 since 2012 for the holography aspect, however, since then, the headphone industry moved on, so even with the latest 1266 TC, I see progress in transparency but it is not very impressive tbh, somewhere on the par with Stax 009. I have been spoiled (and didn't realize that till recently) with transparency that ATH 5lk can offer, which is a full step above, both SR1a and 1266 TC/Stax 009, that sound very transparent on their own (especially against some HD650 competition), but veiled and not very insightful next to the L5K and at that point ( I think that even Shangrila Sr would fall short, as the difference is that big), will wait for more breakthrough products. Ok I'm a transparency and music insight junky. I'm very happy to spend more when the right product comes along, hopefully, next year, or soon.

Anyway, I love your spirit folks, you never give up!
sr1a doesnt sound veiled next to anything

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #18,752 of 22,483
Ok. The Sr1a may not sound veiled, but luck separation and insight in comparison. The texture in lower octaves is none existent dough because there are not much lower frequencies to show any details. Anyway, much more open and direct sounding than Stax 009S, the Stax however show much better bass (especially from Trilogy H1).

Attachments

• IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 24, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #18,753 of 22,483
Yea... so there is only such much transparency that a system can accomplish. I cannot imagine a stronger sense of transparency/clarity than the 009/HE60/Sr1a. And the TC is right there with them, if not just very slightly behind. I have owned a lot of AT woodies, including the L3000, W5000, etc. and although I haven't heard the L5000, I'd be highly, highly surprised if it somehow improved on the transparency in any meaningful way over the others I just mentioned. That's just not going to happen with a wooded, (semi) closed back headphone.

Also, there's a very obvious tradeoff between bass and perceived clarity, always has been and always will be. The TC are the only headphones I've come across that seems to defy gravity in that sense.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #18,754 of 22,483
Ok. The Sr1a may not sound veiled, but luck separation and insight in comparison. The texture in lower octaves is none existent dough because there are not much lower frequencies to show any details. Anyway, much more open and direct sounding than Stax 009S, the Stax however show much better bass (especially from Trilogy H1).
lack separation?...have you actually heard them?

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #18,755 of 22,483
Have you heard the ~L5k ? The Sr1a are great in certain aspects (texture, openness), definitely better than 009S when it comes to the sound definition and spatial placement, but again, it all depends on what is your reference point here. I have just ordered the Stax 9k, very curious how they would perform, not expecting miraculous dough, probably slightly behind the famous Omegas.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #18,756 of 22,483
A set of the OG 1266 have popped up on ebay for a pretty reasonable price which rarely happens in the UK so tempted to pull the trigger, how do they stack up to the current version and other headphones on the market given their age?

Also previously owned a diana v2 which I didn't rate at all so slightly unsure about abyss in general now

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #18,757 of 22,483
Is that Hifonix in Sutton Coldfield? Love it there.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #18,759 of 22,483
Never mind..

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #18,760 of 22,483
Agreed. To my ears they smoke the SR-009/009S in this regard (both the SR1a and AB1266 Phi TC)...and bass when played through the HSA-1b is simply amazingly satisfying for me (for both headphones).

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #18,762 of 22,483
For me, the SR1a bass would have been 'amazingly satisfying' also if the headphones didn't simply cut off all the frequencies below 40Hz so drastically. When I played via the HSA-1b (and Chord TT2) the Cradle to the grave (from Hostilities) the details in the lowest octave are simply lost (you can't hear it, unlike from the Abyss, Audeze, Susvaras, and many others, even Stax 009S did show a bit more there), other than that, SR1a are great, great headphones if you appreciate such a presentation. Definitely, worth auditioning first, like with every hifi gear.

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #18,764 of 22,483
it is quite good but not as good as the formula s/powerman but few if any amps are with the abyss...that said if you have both the abyss and the sr1a the 1B will more than admirably drive the abyss

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #18,765 of 22,483
A set of the OG 1266 have popped up on ebay for a pretty reasonable price which rarely happens in the UK so tempted to pull the trigger, how do they stack up to the current version and other headphones on the market given their age?

Also previously owned a diana v2 which I didn't rate at all so slightly unsure about abyss in general now
I have a pair of OG’s that I got in early 2018 and strangely enough from someone in London for $2K and if you can get them for that or less buy them now as I have not regretted that purchase for a millisecond. I had the chance just a couple of months ago at a meet to try them next to a very new pair of TC’s and yes I do think the TC’s sound a bit better but it is a bit and I didn’t think to myself damn my OG’s sound like crap now that I got to get the TC’s as they still are a fantastic sounding headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back