The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #18,722 of 22,555
I’m a fan. It’s the best amp I’ve had the pleasure of owning. It’s also based on the Kevin Gilmore design.
Better than your Hugo or Formula S w/ Powerman?

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #18,723 of 22,555
you can get the formula s/powerman combo for about the price of the CFA3...if you buy it used....I am not for a moment taking anything away from the CFA3 which I hear only good things about...I am only saying for the abyss the combo is really good

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #18,725 of 22,555
John Grandberg (Project86) did a huge review on headphone amps a while back. He felt the Formula S had the best synergy for the 1266 TC, but not good with other headphones. More of a one trick pony. So it’s a good vote if you have that one headphone.

It’s not for me based on that, and more importantly that it is only single ended which means that I have to feed 2V instead of 4V into it from my DAC which I don’t like to do. Also my DAC is balanced and I can take advantage of a balanced headphone amp.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #18,726 of 22,555
I'm gonna buy a TC this december. I have to save up for that so my budget is pretty low as is. The most I would stretch for an amp would be 2k, and even that would take awhile. What can really get the TC performing 90% there for under 2 grand?

If you say Topping, I will smite thee.

The best amp pairings I personally tried with the AB-1266 TC for in the price range you mention are the Sugden A21SE (solid state) and Leben CS300 (tubes). Both are speaker amps with a warmer-than-neutral signature, and can be found for around 2k used with some patience and luck.

Very enjoyable combos, and capable of providing outstanding listening pleasure, even with long and spirited sessions.

These amps would be especially compelling if your priorities are about acoustic music timbre integrity, midrange body, presence, macro-dynamics. On the other hand, they are not the last word in terms of clarity, snappiness, resolution, if these are your ultimate targets.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #18,727 of 22,555
Better than your Hugo or Formula S w/ Powerman?
Hugo 2, yes because I have the Dave/HMS feeding it.

The Formula S with Powerman is a different story. The FS+P has a different presentation from the GS-X MK2. The Formula S is slightly warmer, with a little more body and it's also more musical. Especially with the Sagra DAC feeding it. The GS-X is more precise, slightly on the analytical side with snappier transients, even more dynamic sounding, and more transparent. The GS-X MK2 is a great amp for maintaining everything great about the Dave

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #18,728 of 22,555
John Grandberg (Project86) did a huge review on headphone amps a while back. He felt the Formula S had the best synergy for the 1266 TC, but not good with other headphones. More of a one trick pony. So it’s a good vote if you have that one headphone.

It’s not for me based on that, and more importantly that it is only single ended which means that I have to feed 2V instead of 4V into it from my DAC which I don’t like to do. Also my DAC is balanced and I can take advantage of a balanced headphone amp.
actually the combo is quite good with all HP's and best with the 1266

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #18,729 of 22,555
More as a steal. The various MSB/dCS/Rockna/TotalDAC introduction prices are more in line with DAVE.
I agree. I preferred the May to the Morpheus quite easily. If you need the pre-amp of the smaller one-box unit then that’s something else, but the pre-amp didn’t sound too great to me. 🤷‍♂️

The Dave offers a different perspective to the music than the May or the DF Terminator+.

The Bartok is a great buy if you will use it as an all-in-one.

The higher end MSB DACs I might get to try in December.

Has anyone compared the MSB discrete base model (w/o the power base) to the Dave?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back