The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #18,811 of 22,459
Not at all, it kinda just hangs under its own weight….it’s not super bendy probably the braid

Nov 30, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #18,812 of 22,459
I found the NorneAudio cables nice with the TC. I had the SC and the Norne at the same time. If you find the TC a little fatiguing, I would consider a large gauge copper cable from Norne. I sold the SC and kept the Norne. YMMV

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #18,813 of 22,459
I'm using TT2 + 1266TC. I'm satisfied, even more after replacing the original cable with Arctic Cables. However, I'd like to try a tube amp (I've never used any). What would you recommend to include in my rig?
* it can be slightly warm (I mean sound :) because I'm afraid all tube amps are physically warm )
* it has to cost less than WA33

I'm a newbie in tube amps, so I need a hint :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #18,814 of 22,459
I had and enjoyed the Woo WA6se. Drove the TC just fine. The WA5le was even better, but it is a beast size wise. Also 2 1/2 times as much $$.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #18,815 of 22,459
I found the NorneAudio cables nice with the TC. I had the SC and the Norne at the same time. If you find the TC a little fatiguing, I would consider a large gauge copper cable from Norne. I sold the SC and kept the Norne. YMMV
Good tip. I went to their website and picked up their all-copper Drausk cable to try. 20% black friday sale in effect, nice bonus
I had and enjoyed the Woo WA6se. Drove the TC just fine. The WA5le was even better, but it is a beast size wise. Also 2 1/2 times as much $$.
Have to disagree with the WA6SE. I read a while back someone else had good results with this amp. I was skeptical but tried it. It just doesn't have enough juice. Things sounded really thin and bleached out to me. The WA22 was better, but not by much.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #18,816 of 22,459
I'm using TT2 + 1266TC. I'm satisfied, even more after replacing the original cable with Arctic Cables. However, I'd like to try a tube amp (I've never used any). What would you recommend to include in my rig?
* it can be slightly warm (I mean sound :) because I'm afraid all tube amps are physically warm )
* it has to cost less than WA33

I'm a newbie in tube amps, so I need a hint :wink:
As a suggestion for a suitable tube amp I bought the Auris Nirvana In preparation for my 1266 arriving. In the mean time I’m finding it excellent with the Focal Utopia and HD800. A lot of power on tap which is part of the reason I bought it - they advertise being able to drive any headphone and from what I’ve read here that appears to be the case.

For comparison, I had a bigger Ben for a short time and the Nirvana handled bass with much less distortion, and has good bass slam. Similarly, treble “sparkles” considerably more and especially after I popped in a 1970s replacement tube for the standard JJ input tube. Love the non fatiguing nature of a good tube amp.

I also like the separate solid state power supply. Provides very low noise - I have heard some artefacts from tube rectified power supplies. The amp is dead quite with sensitive Utopias. Also great build quality. It’s simply the best tube amp I’ve tried but I haven’t been brave enough to audition the WA33 yet - my wallet is thanking me so far, but to be honest I’m so satisfied with the Nirvana I’ll be sticking with it Most likely ( I’ve said that before though).

But when the 1266 arrives I’ll update my impressions. Shipping to Australia is crazy slow….

T

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #18,817 of 22,459
Best portable rig for 1266? Example - analog audio square, Bakoon HPA-01М, romi audio blx-2, kobi, diablo, M30, 390, yinlumei W1.

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #18,819 of 22,459
they do not repair one driver, they repair both even if only one fails so that they match...or so I have been told

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #18,820 of 22,459
Hello fellow 1266 owners, does anyone know how much it would cost to repair one driver out of warranty? Asking for a friend…
IIRC it was bandied to be around $1k per driver. However, I, too, was also under the impressions you only worked with replacement pairs.

It's also why for out of warranty servicing, you should definitely be contacting the manufacturer directly.

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #18,821 of 22,459
IIRC it was bandied to be around $1k per driver. However, I, too, was also under the impressions you only worked with replacement pairs.

It's also why for out of warranty servicing, you should definitely be contacting the manufacturer directly.
Thanks for that. My friend wants to pull the trigger on a soon to be out of warranty pair, so he’s trying to evaluate the risk and the cost of it. Cheers

Dec 1, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #18,822 of 22,459
Thanks for that. My friend wants to pull the trigger on a soon to be out of warranty pair, so he’s trying to evaluate the risk and the cost of it. Cheers
May you clarify the market price and working condition of this pair. We can help you obtain a TC under better pricing for consideration.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #18,823 of 22,459
Just wanna quickly share that I am listening to the Burson Soloist Grand Tourer with the TC and I love it. Wow what a great sounding powerful amp. It arrived a couple of weeks late and before it arrived I thought I would return/sell it for the Oor+Hypsos but nope this is a keeper.

Hope to get used to the sucky controls after a few days. The fan is controversial but I don’t hear it with my use in my environment. All things considered, I find it to be a bargain.

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #18,824 of 22,459
Just wanna quickly share that I am listening to the Burson Soloist Grand Tourer with the TC and I love it. Wow what a great sounding powerful amp. It arrived a couple of weeks late and before it arrived I thought I would return/sell it for the Oor+Hypsos but nope this is a keeper.

Hope to get used to the sucky controls after a few days. The fan is controversial but I don’t hear it with my use in my environment. All things considered, I find it to be a bargain.

How does it compare to the TT2 direct? The GT looks very cool and capable. Would be nice to have another amp to drive this that isn't the formula S, WA33 or the usuals

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #18,825 of 22,459
How does it compare to the TT2 direct?
I don’t really consider listening to Abyss with TT2 direct anymore; it just seems to me like it gets TC up to only 85% of what it can give. GT is a better overall. And I love TC with tubes which I cannot achieve with TT2 only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back