The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #17,791 of 22,431
I have the first van quicky installed with good amount of electrical tape. I don't do much have a very comfy job. Only safety issue is climbing utility poles. Safety concern power line falls and puts me into a coffin early last some jerk hitting my line while I'm hooked and strapped to the steel worst at that point tractor trailer takes me for ride. But in my down time I listen to headphones. I'll build something later and maybe make something to house bigger amp to run my 1266 O.G. here you go try not to laugh to hard. It's all I got.
PXL_20210923_154537375.jpg

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #17,792 of 22,431
I have the first van quicky installed with good amount of electrical tape. I don't do much have a very comfy job. Only safety issue is climbing utility poles. Safety concern power line falls and puts me into a coffin early last some jerk hitting my line while I'm hooked and strapped to the steel worst at that point tractor trailer takes me for ride. But in my down time I listen to headphones. I'll build something later and maybe make something to house bigger amp to run my 1266 O.G. here you go try not to laugh to hard. It's all I got.PXL_20210923_154537375.jpg
Whatever works to get great sound on the go!

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #17,793 of 22,431
Why is everybody so crazy about the "superconductor"? I got no problem with spending lots of money for a good cable, but do we know any specs? Exact materials of the conductor, quality, construction and Gauge / AWG? Everything about this cable seems to be a big secret which is ridiculous at this price point isn't it???

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #17,794 of 22,431
The Superconductor, like the other Jps cables, is made of Aluminum. But the type of material used does not matter, what matters is the result it gets you! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #17,796 of 22,431
The Superconductor, like the other Jps cables, is made of Aluminum. But the type of material used does not matter, what matters is the result it gets you! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Word, but most probably you'll get the same good results for a fraction of the price of the superconductor.

I'm just interested to hear how some other (no nonsense and specs related) aftermarket cables do perform in direct comparison.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #17,797 of 22,431
Why is everybody so crazy about the "superconductor"? I got no problem with spending lots of money for a good cable, but do we know any specs? Exact materials of the conductor, quality, construction and Gauge / AWG? Everything about this cable seems to be a big secret which is ridiculous at this price point isn't it???
And would it make any difference to you or help you make a decision if they told you the guage, how it’s twisted, the jacket, etc, etc? You’d still have no idea how it sounded without listening with it.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #17,798 of 22,431
Word, but most probably you'll get the same good results for a fraction of the price of the superconductor.

I'm just interested to hear how some other (no nonsense and specs related) aftermarket cables do perform in direct comparison.
From what I understand, the SC is tuned specifically for the 1266, to bring out the mids and smooth out the v-shaped response.

Any other aftermarket cable is designed to be universal, so is not going to tune the 1266 in the same way as the SC.

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #17,799 of 22,431

I've tried cables in other materials, but you don't get the same result, trust me! The stock cable is also very good, but the SC is better.

Another cable that I think is very good is the Prion4, but then it depends on which one goes best with the rest of the setup.

Sep 23, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #17,800 of 22,431
Just to help, i wanted to see if i could depart from my SC, so i tried a draug norne audio silver cable (1200$), and a nordost heimdall 2.
i wanted to believe i could get almost the same result but no, the SC was just way better. Trying to know if not just me, i did blind test to my loved one, and each time with SC she said the sound was bigger and fuller.
That’s also my conclusion.

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #17,802 of 22,431
From what I understand, the SC is tuned specifically for the 1266, to bring out the mids and smooth out the v-shaped response.

Any other aftermarket cable is designed to be universal, so is not going to tune the 1266 in the same way as the SC.
What are we trying to fix ? If there is an issue with the sound signature Abyss should fix it at the headphone not rely on a cable to smooth things out.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #17,803 of 22,431
What are we trying to fix ? If there is an issue with the sound signature Abyss should fix it at the headphone not rely on a cable to smooth things out.
I actually do agree. The cable itself should be a neutral picec of equipment. So that it will reflect the actual sound of the headphone. We should no be using the cable to solve and problem with the headphone.

You rather save that money to upgrade your amp or dac for better results. Before getting into the cable.

Sep 24, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #17,804 of 22,431

I actually do agree. The cable itself should be a neutral picec of equipment. So that it will reflect the actual sound of the headphone. We should no be using the cable to solve and problem with the headphone.

You rather save that money to upgrade your amp or dac for better results. Before getting into the cable.
In a perfect world, yes.

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #17,805 of 22,431

I don't think it really ever makes sense to say there should be a particular way anyone goes about improving a headphones' weakness. Whether you change a cable, amp or dac it's all the same concept--you're trying to eradicate that weakness. And especially at this level where most people already have TOTL dacs and amps.

That said, I'm not really big on cables because the ROI is so low, much like a lot of expensive tubes. I can take that same $2k and put it towards one of the new flagships for far higher ROI and greater enjoyment to me. Now if the superconductor cable actually fixes the TC's mids issues, I'd be all over it, but that's not the sense I get from this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back