The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #17,761 of 22,374
One final thing, yes in the future these may need a better DAC/Amp, but funds are limited right now, but you know this hobby I am already looking :relaxed:So for my source I use my IPhone to stream Tidal, how would I connect my Iphone as a lot of these amps do not have a USB connection, and my apologies if this is a basic question.
What's your budget? I would get a Topping or SMSL DAC/AMP stack if you want something affordable and capable. As for amps, I would look at GSX Mini (1750-1950 USD), or a Burson Audio Soloist. I would recommend Shiit stuff too but I have yet to read reviews where people use Schiit stuff.
Abyss likes the Topping D90/A90 stack (giving it a solid B in one of their videos).

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #17,762 of 22,374
What's your budget? I would get a Topping or SMSL DAC/AMP stack if you want something affordable and capable. As for amps, I would look at GSX Mini (1750-1950 USD), or a Burson Audio Soloist. I would recommend Shiit stuff too but I have yet to read reviews where people use Schiit stuff.
Abyss likes the Topping D90/A90 stack (giving it a solid B in one of their videos).
Not sure if this would be much of an improvement on what I currently have , as I have the Burson Conductor 3XR.
My budget is zero right now after this purchase. :relaxed:
I was thinking more long term where I could maybe spend a bit more on my DAC/amp........maybe say 4 to 5k. But its some time away. For now I will enjoy what I have. Thanks for the post.

Sep 22, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #17,763 of 22,374
Sleigh Bells may be an acquired taste but when I said the 1266CC was like a good slap in the face then listen to this album.........awesome, so much energy and sounds great

Attachments

• RoonShareImage-637679362489041487.png
    RoonShareImage-637679362489041487.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #17,766 of 22,374
Anyone tried the Liquid Platinum with Abyss AB-1266?
I have, in fact it was recommended by Joe at Abyss to try if you were looking for a decent affordable amp for them. It was nice!

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #17,767 of 22,374
Got a Superconductor and new pads and the old Abyss 1266 sounds a lot better no more fatigue and more width. I got the adapters to put the abyss cable on my Meze Elite and it made the Elite sound better.
Have you tried it just with the pads or just with the cable? I'm curious what improvements / changes are brought about by each change

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #17,769 of 22,374
What's the comparison to more expensive amps, eg: You're using TT2 now and what was the improvement.
Diminishing returns for sure. I was running the LP with a Qutest at the time. So you can expect the same benefits associated with moving from Qutest to TT2.

There is some alteration you can do to the sound with the LP by using different tubes. If you are budget limited for an amp, I continue to strongly recommend it, especially for power hungry planars.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #17,770 of 22,374
Diminishing returns for sure. I was running the LP with a Qutest at the time. So you can expect the same benefits associated with moving from Qutest to TT2.

There is some alteration you can do to the sound with the LP by using different tubes. If you are budget limited for an amp, I continue to strongly recommend it, especially for power hungry planars.
I thought that was the case, but watched a review about it that said something entirely different, and that got me wondering.

I was looking to get the Formula S and Powerman but hesitant that it might be a sidegrade rather than an upgrade especially looking at the price :)

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #17,771 of 22,374
I have, briefly and a while ago. Bought on a whim. Ultimately I couldn't get over how cheap the LP looked/felt and returned it. I was pleasantly surprised however at how bad it didn't sound. It had a bit of a warmish hue that worked well for the mids in particular, from what I remember.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #17,772 of 22,374
I have, briefly and a while ago. Bought on a whim. Ultimately I couldn't get over how cheap the LP looked/felt and returned it. I was pleasantly surprised however at how bad it didn't sound. It had a bit of a warmish hue that worked well for the mids in particular, from what I remember.
Agreed, it looks and feels cheap, but it sounds a lot better than it looks and provides plenty of power. Also it's discounted pretty frequently on the monoprice website and you can snag one for $400 at times. That's a great price for a very capable amp. I would get one again if they brought it down to that price again, just to have as a backup amp in case I ever needed it.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #17,773 of 22,374
I have as well. My LP was modded and I was using adapters so I could use the 12UA7 family of tubes. The two together made all difference in the world. The sound of the LP with the mods and tube upgrades was actually pretty darn good. The TC’s had slam, punch and very good resolution. The treble was airy and the soundstage was expansive and very holographic. I didn’t like the sound of the LP in stock form. It sounded very congested and lack depth. The mods fixed this for me.

The LP did a fantastic job with the TC’s and Susvara’s. The only issue I had with it was the gain. There was no way to turn it down, which made useable volume a problem. You’d be lucky to get to 11 o’clock on the volume dial. I was able to control it with my Hugo 2. If your DAC doesn’t have a volume dial with a variable feature then this could be a problem.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #17,774 of 22,374
I have as well. My LP was modded and I was using adapters so I could use the 12UA7 family of tubes. The two together made all difference in the world. The sound of the LP with the mods and tube upgrades was actually pretty darn good. The TC’s had slam, punch and very good resolution. The treble was airy and the soundstage was expansive and very holographic. I didn’t like the sound of the LP in stock form. It sounded very congested and lack depth. The mods fixed this for me.

The LP did a fantastic job with the TC’s and Susvara’s. The only issue I had with it was the gain. There was no way to turn it down, which made useable volume a problem. You’d be lucky to get to 11 o’clock on the volume dial. I was able to control it with my Hugo 2. If your DAC doesn’t have a volume dial with a variable feature then this could be a problem.
And its comparision to your current headphone amp?

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #17,775 of 22,374

You may have had one of the older stock. I believe they updated the volume pot to give it more range near the beginning. I've had a couple of them and the second one I got was definitely updated. I was able to hit 12'oclock pretty easily with the Abyss and Susvara. I think I had the Qutest running at 1 or 2v output, definitely not 3v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back