The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #17,806 of 22,434
I believe with any product like audio gear you reach a point where you can try and get that last 3% to 5 % but end up losing 3% to 5% elsewhere.

Just read the impressions / comparisons past of the 1266 OG, Phi, and TC.

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #17,807 of 22,434
Because at some point we simply can't defy physic.

We can't turn our head to look left and right at the same time.

Car with higher ground clearance will always have worse downforce due to higher lift pressure (when everything is equal).

Speaker with more mellow character will never produce faster decay (when everything is equal).

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #17,808 of 22,434
Super Conductor is 16 gauge same wire as stock cable. I use the stock cable on my Meze Elite and it's so much better then regular stock Meze cable. It sounds different. The stock 1266 cable has 8 conductors total if the SuperConductor might be 16 conductors total. Aluminum makes sense as it adds more resistance to the cable then mixed in with copper changing how it resists. During copper shortage electricians started buying aluminum cables to wire homes problem is the wire gets warm. Efficiency goes out the window. So this must smooth out the sound and copper brings in the heft.

Unless there's magical fairies that Joe enslaved. Who knows the secrets, but it does work.

Sep 24, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #17,809 of 22,434
I believe with any product like audio gear you reach a point where you can try and get that last 3% to 5 % but end up losing 3% to 5% elsewhere.

Just read the impressions / comparisons past of the 1266 OG, Phi, and TC.
I do agree with the stated, when the phi drivers came out users complained about loosing the viseral bass but gained detail in the treble.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #17,810 of 22,434
Playing around with HQPlayer on the TCs, really enjoying closed-form-fast/LNS15, gave vocals a more lifelike/less harsh, smoothed out the treble, soundstage more holographic, an overall tonally richer and denser sound signature, easier to listen to and fits my preference perfectly.

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #17,811 of 22,434
Playing around with HQPlayer on the TCs, really enjoying closed-form-fast/LNS15, gave vocals a more lifelike/less harsh, smoothed out the treble, soundstage more holographic, an overall tonally richer and denser sound signature, easier to listen to and fits my preference perfectly.
Out of curiosity, how do you connect tambaqui to 13R? the tambaqui doesn’t have SE out right?

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #17,812 of 22,434
Out of curiosity, how do you connect tambaqui to 13R? the tambaqui doesn’t have SE out right?
Tambaqui comes with a pair of XLR-RCA adapter so you can still connect to SE amps without any issues. Currently my preamp has both balanced/unbalanced input/output, so I am connecting balanced from Tambaqui to Ref 5 balanced, then unbalanced from that to 13R. I wish the Bakoon had balanced inputs so my system is truly balanced, but it prob doesn't fit given size.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #17,813 of 22,434
Help help help :relaxed:

I am shocked at how much better these sound to my HEKs , I did not expect them to be this much better......but and its a big but, that is when I have then perfectly positioned.
So I can more or less get them to that position now as soon as I put them on, but can I hell get them to stay there.

So for how I like my music to sound I have to have these quite slack on my head, this gives me the right amount of bass and space I like to hear. The downside is I do like to move when listening to music, maybe not dancing :relaxed: but yeah doing some body movements. They then just move out of position. I gave tried closing them in at the front of the cup and at the back of the cup too , but I dont like either of these positions.

So to get them to stay in the same place I have to have them tighter fitting than I would like and this is definitely at the detriment of the sound quality.
I have watched all of the vidoes about getting the fit of these correct but I am at a loss.
So right now I am desperately searching for a way to get these to stay put on my head when i have them slack, otherwise they may have to be returned and I really dont want to do this. I do want a HP that allows me to move a bit and I dont mean jumping around honest ....its the smallest of movements at times.

Any ideas anyone?

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #17,814 of 22,434

I am shocked at how much better these sound to my HEKs , I did not expect them to be this much better......but and its a big but, that is when I have then perfectly positioned.
So I can more or less get them to that position now as soon as I put them on, but can I hell get them to stay there.

So for how I like my music to sound I have to have these quite slack on my head, this gives me the right amount of bass and space I like to hear. The downside is I do like to move when listening to music, maybe not dancing :relaxed: but yeah doing some body movements. They then just move out of position. I gave tried closing them in at the front of the cup and at the back of the cup too , but I dont like either of these positions.

So to get them to stay in the same place I have to have them tighter fitting than I would like and this is definitely at the detriment of the sound quality.
I have watched all of the vidoes about getting the fit of these correct but I am at a loss.
So right now I am desperately searching for a way to get these to stay put on my head when i have them slack, otherwise they may have to be returned and I really dont want to do this. I do want a HP that allows me to move a bit and I dont mean jumping around honest ....its the smallest of movements at times.

Any ideas anyone?
You might clarify where your pad position is to start as it sounds you're going for a very loose fit.

I'd say generally speaking the nominal ideal fitment is just barely coupled, you can do some bopping not head-banging but free with most movement. Ear pads can be from 1-3ish-o'clock. It is a little surprisingly you also don't want a toe-out or perhaps you did not play the the toe-out with a varied ear pad position. I find a slight angle improves sounds in space and also provides a little more bass oomph under control. But I don't have issues losing fit. That'd drive me a little crazy.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #17,815 of 22,434
You might clarify where your pad position is to start as it sounds you're going for a very loose fit.

I'd say generally speaking the nominal ideal fitment is just barely coupled, you can do some bopping not head-banging but free with most movement. Ear pads can be from 1-3ish-o'clock. It is a little surprisingly you also don't want a toe-out or perhaps you did not play the the toe-out with a varied ear pad position. I find a slight angle improves sounds in space and also provides a little more bass oomph under control. But I don't have issues losing fit. That'd drive me a little crazy.
They are at about 1 o clock, that is the best position for me . I tried from say 12 0 clock to 3 but 1 is def best for me
I will try the toe out again.....I assume you mean slightly more open at the front of the ear pad?

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #17,816 of 22,434

Any ideas anyone?
Maybe you can carve out a lightweight foam block to form a guide between your head and the cups that secures it a little more?

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #17,817 of 22,434

Any ideas anyone?
Once you have found the most suitable position you will see that the bow does not move so easily.

Stays in the position you put it in. Then maybe depending on some songs or musical genres you will prefer to move it more open or closed.

Over time you will become familiar with this.:wink:

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #17,818 of 22,434

Yes, toe-in shows no resistance you may just squeeze your head raw, but I find toe-out a natural resistance occurs that optimizes the perfect toe-out -- at least for me. If you took a picture of the headband width and a particular toe-out it might also help better clarify. I'd show mine tonight if no other's chime in.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #17,819 of 22,434
Maybe you can carve out a lightweight foam block to form a guide between your head and the cups that secures it a little more?
Possibly but I hate little things like this. Dont really think I should have to do this ......I will add though its early days and a lot of people seemed to have these issues at first

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #17,820 of 22,434
Just try wearing a hat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back