The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #616 of 687
I too have the Roxanne and previously had the JH16.  The JH16 was my fav CIEM or headphone of all time.  The Roxanne bass sounds good, as good as what you're used to from you JH16.  The big difference for me is the expansive "out of head" experience with the sounstage I see other people reporting (more headphone like experience), and the upper frequency response.  The Roxanne is much more detailed and prominent in the upper half of the spectrum, and more detailed all around, but still laid back and not harsh.  My only complaint of the JH16 was lack of treble energy, which was mostly fixed with a Twag V2, but then it became overly bright at times and harsh...The $500 is subjective...but for me worth it because I got my "JH16 level bass", and I got my treble and soundstage too.    

Quote:
Do you feel they are $500 better? Is the bass as prominent and pure?

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #617 of 687
I agree that with the bass pots set to 4pm, the Roxanne bass is as good as the JH16, which can be great for EDM, pop, and rap. However, for classical and jazz, and for high resolution files in general, I like a more neutral signature. At 12pm the bass is tight and full without dominating, so that's where I've generally left it set, which I guess makes me a reformed basshead.

The most distinctive difference is definitely the expansive soundstage of the Roxannes. They are also far more detailed than the JH16s, which are already very detailed. I feel that the Roxanne has much better instrumentation separation and clarity through the mids as well as the highs. By comparison, the JH16s seem relatively muddy in the mids with complex music. There's a smaller but still noticeable improvement with female vocals.

I ordered my custom CF Roxannes for 20% off on Black Friday last year, so the price difference for the acrylic version would only have been $400. That was worth it to me. I was pretty happy with the JH16s but still felt the urge to upgrade, so I was debating between the Roxannes and the Audeze LCD-3F or LCD-X. The Geek Out IEM offers a further huge improvement over the Dragonfly V1.0 I was previously using, particularly with the V1.5 firmware. Now I'm waiting to see just how far the Roxannes can scale with the Geek Pulse Xfi I have coming soon.

Quote:
I too have the Roxanne and previously had the JH16.  The JH16 was my fav CIEM or headphone of all time.  The Roxanne bass sounds good, as good as what you're used to from you JH16.  The big difference for me is the expansive "out of head" experience with the sounstage I see other people reporting (more headphone like experience), and the upper frequency response.  The Roxanne is much more detailed and prominent in the upper half of the spectrum, and more detailed all around, but still laid back and not harsh.  My only complaint of the JH16 was lack of treble energy, which was mostly fixed with a Twag V2, but then it became overly bright at times and harsh...The $500 is subjective...but for me worth it because I got my "JH16 level bass", and I got my treble and soundstage too.    

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #618 of 687
I should have kept quiet about that roxxanne lol... Im waiting for the black friday discout for the jh16. Really hope they offer it again.

Since they will be powered 40-50% of the time with a phone the extra drivers may be harder for the phone to power. Also more drivers (roxxanne) has a better chance to have something go wrong. (Heavy gym use). Thats just my opinion and skepticism.

Read almost all the kaiser jh16s and roxxanne comparisons. Good thing is I know I wont be disappointed with either of these.:)

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #619 of 687
I should have kept quiet about that roxxanne lol... Im waiting for the black friday discout for the jh16. Really hope they offer it again.

Since they will be powered 40-50% of the time with a phone the extra drivers may be harder for the phone to power. Also more drivers (roxxanne) has a better chance to have something go wrong. (Heavy gym use). Thats just my opinion and skepticism.

Read almost all the kaiser jh16s and roxxanne comparisons. Good thing is I know I wont be disappointed with either of these.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's nonsense, Roxanne is much more efficient than JH16. I actually need to turn down the volume down on Roxane than the JH16. Both JH16 and Roxanne is tough enough in the gym. So having more drivers than JH16 doesn't make it more power hungry nor more brittle. Unless you drop a 10kg weight over it, then it's another story.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #620 of 687

That's nonesense, Roxanne is much more efficient than JH16. I actually need to turn down the volume down on Roxane than the JH16. Both JH16 and Roxanne is tough enough in the gym. So having more drivers than JH16 doesn't make it more power hungry nor more brittle. Unless you drop a 10kg weight over it, then it's another story.

Agreed. I have to turn the volume down a notch for the Roxannes compared to the JH16s. Both are driven very well by my iPhone 5S. I used the JH16s daily in the gym for several years with no driver problems, and I've used the Roxannes in the gym for 6 months now with no driver problems. I have had to replace the cables a couple of times, due to wear and tear on the 3.5mm plug.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #621 of 687
Ive used the JH16 in the gym for years also no problems, but I make sure I put them in the dri eze container or Serene hearing aid dryer afterwards.  

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #622 of 687
Interesting, thought they would be harder to drive. Thanks for the answers. I dont want to turn this into a roxxanne thread or derail it further so ill just ask one last question/s. Since both of you have roxxannes do you ever grab the jh16 anymore or does it just collect dust? If you do grab it over the roxxanne, what are you listening to that warrants it. Last one lol, which one gives you the least fatigue? There may be days I wear them 6 hours or so.

Thanks again for the responses. Greatly appreciate!

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #623 of 687
I initially thought that I would never used JH16 again after I got my Roxanne. I turns out they complement each other. Roxanne being able to play all genres amazingly. But there are some rock/pop albums that shines more on JH16 and it's surround-like sound stage. But yeah, on most days I grab my Roxanne more than JH16.

Jh16 is brighter compared to Roxanne. However, I get less fatigue on JH16. Roxanne goes very deep in sub bass and that's where my fatigue comes from. But I guess if you like bass your fatigue-sensitivity may be other way around.

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #624 of 687
  Ive used the JH16 in the gym for years also no problems, but I make sure I put them in the dri eze container or Serene hearing aid dryer afterwards.  

I have as well. No problems ever for 2 years.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #625 of 687
My JH16s are collecting dust. The Roxannes are better in every way. 

Quote:
Interesting, thought they would be harder to drive. Thanks for the answers. I dont want to turn this into a roxxanne thread or derail it further so ill just ask one last question/s. Since both of you have roxxannes do you ever grab the jh16 anymore or does it just collect dust? If you do grab it over the roxxanne, what are you listening to that warrants it. Last one lol, which one gives you the least fatigue? There may be days I wear them 6 hours or so.

Thanks again for the responses. Greatly appreciate!

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #627 of 687
I have owned Roxanne custom, JH16 non FP, and noble k10.

For me, JH just steered to a different sound signature. I found the Roxanne very muddy, even with my super bright combo ZX1 + apex glacier. Roxanne is lack of engaging feeling and not lively as JH16. Compare to JH16, I would say Roxanne is a let down.

Roxanne vs K10, Roxanne just 1 level below in term of clarity and brightness.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #628 of 687
JH16 has a more analytical sound due to quick decay, even though Roxanne is more detailed. JH16 sounds more relentless vs Roxanne more musical. JH16 way less sea tailed in upper frequency and overall

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #629 of 687
  I have owned Roxanne custom, JH16 non FP, and noble k10.

For me, JH just steered to a different sound signature. I found the Roxanne very muddy, even with my super bright combo ZX1 + apex glacier. Roxanne is lack of engaging feeling and not lively as JH16. Compare to JH16, I would say Roxanne is a let down.

Roxanne vs K10, Roxanne just 1 level below in term of clarity and brightness.

I know the K10 is probably superior to the JH16, but are there things about it that you prefer?

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #630 of 687

I know the K10 is probably superior to the JH16, but are there things about it that you prefer?

I won't say K10 is superior to JH16. They win each other on different aspects.

K10 is more musical, less source sensitive while Jh16 is more engaging and lively (stage use). I use jh16 for pop music and k10 for ballad.

Roxanne's sound is too thick, I would think of senn HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back