The JH16 Pro Impressions Thread
May 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #586 of 687

You will love the finishing touches....

Yupp just got them in the mail today and took a listen to it. Here are some of my observation not sure if it was the same for you. 1) There seems to be added space 2) the clarity was improved 3) lastly the bass seem to be a little less. So far yeah the 3 things I noticed immediately.

May 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #587 of 687
Was actually really excited about the roxanne before it was released ... however it didn't seem to blow me off my feet ... it seemed to improved in certain areas but lack in others ... somehow the overall feel wasn't right for me. .. Exams in 18 mins and i'm still on this forum ... lol

Roxanne is a bit tricky, the demo doesn't give you the whole picture/perspective of what Roxanne can do (for custom version). You really need to spend time and play a bit with the bass setting so you get the right balance for you.

As much as I enjoy my JH16 (still is) for it's clarity and laser sharp details, it just not on par with Roxanne on the overall presentation and how it renders the music to sound as natural as it can be. For me, Roxanne has similar presentation as if you are listening to a headphone rather than an iem.

While the JH16 extracts each detail very sharply it however share the same fitfall as any iem, the stereo imaging (left and right channel) and the soundstage feels unnatural. It feels the soundstage is compressed while there is a wide gap between the left and right channel which makes listening to music feels like you are hearing it from inside your head (like most iems does). Roxanne somehow mitgated this flaw and makes the sound coming from front rather than inside your head. hence, the impression 9or illusion) of listening to a headphone rather than an iem.

To compare them on a visual analogy. The JH16 looks like a movie rendered in CG with very vivid colors (e.g. "300") while it looks stunning, you know it does not look natural. While the Roxanne is any other movie in HD.

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #588 of 687
Listening to the live Yessongs album on my DX90 in 24/96... Just got the download last night..

The drum solo at the end of track 4: Perpetual Change is a whole hell of a lot of fun on the JH16 Pro... Enjoying it immensely - and that is kinda the reason we do this.... 

Now will need to listen on my other sets of cans..

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #589 of 687
Just saw that Unique Melody just added (7/31/14) a 12 driver upgrade 
eek.gif
option for owners of JH13 ($650)  and JH16 ($550) - very interesting - I like the 16 as it is, but buying a used JH16 becomes a JH24 and you are just around a grand......

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #590 of 687
I might do this...

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #591 of 687
Just saw that Unique Melody just added (7/31/14) a 12 driver upgrade :eek: option for owners of JH13 ($650)  and JH16 ($550) - very interesting - I like the 16 as it is, but buying a used JH16 becomes a JH24 and you are just around a grand......

I'm happy with my 16s. Very happy. But maybe I could be happier...

Sigh. If anyone takes this jump, I'm very eager to hear your impressions!

The only question I can think of is I remember reading that the bass drivers on the 16 are unique to JH, does that apply to the 13 as well? Not sure how much it would matter, but I feel like 4x/4x/4x combo is probably better than different drivers for the same frequencies yeah?

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #592 of 687
I would rather make the jump to the Roxanne's than have a modded JH16.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #593 of 687
I would too but I'm not a patient person the wait would kill me and Already have the jh16s paid for so it would just be 550-600 now vs 1600 I dunno I'm sure I'll eventually upgrade to the Roxanne's but I really like the jh16

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #594 of 687
The JH16's are by far my most used piece of audio gear.

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #595 of 687
Aug 8, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #596 of 687
I emailed UM about the upgrade this is what they said:  

Hi,

The end result will have 4low, 4mid, and 4high like the Roxanne. Mid and high sound will be very similar to the Roxanne as well. Not better or worse, but on par, tuned to get the best result in couple with the bass amount. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #597 of 687
  I emailed UM about the upgrade this is what they said:  

Hi,

The end result will have 4low, 4mid, and 4high like the Roxanne. Mid and high sound will be very similar to the Roxanne as well. Not better or worse, but on par, tuned to get the best result in couple with the bass amount. 

Interesting. If someone takes advantage if this I hope they share their results with us!

popcorn.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #598 of 687
Anyone know what difference the new Roxanne 4 pin connectors make to the JH16?  Is it just a way to tone down the bass or has anything else changed in the sound signature?

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #599 of 687
I'm seriously considering this..my jh16 is fine the perfect CIEM for me, but I can't leave well enough alone...ugh wish I never would have seen that info lol. Though sometimes I wish the treble had a little more air and sparkle

Interesting. If someone takes advantage if this I hope they share their results with us!

:popcorn:

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #600 of 687
We all struggle with leaving well enough alone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back